Realtime Shipping weight limited at 70 pounds

I am setting up a new cs cart 4 webstore on godaddy to replace a Yahoo store. So far so good.

But I have found one problem which I am clueless to correct.

UPS has a weight limit of 150 pounds but cs cart seems to be limited to 70 pounds.

I setup Realtime UPS shipping which works great in the live webstore, As long as the weight is 70 pounds or less.

If I Edit the shipping methods and use the testing tool it has no problem with a full 150 pounds.

Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing?

Any ideals?

Thanks,

John

After playing around a little I find the 70 pound limit is only on single items that are over 70 pounds. If I put three or four 25 pound items in the cart it has no problem getting the freight cost?

Thanks for any info,

[quote name='Johnny Joe' timestamp='1382111226' post='169967']

After playing around a little I find the 70 pound limit is only on single items that are over 70 pounds. If I put three or four 25 pound items in the cart it has no problem getting the freight cost?

[/quote]

I now find that it only pickups the weight from the first item in the shopping cart.

Being most of my items are between 50 and 110 pounds, this shopping cart may not be of any use to me. Not worth twice the price of the software to hire someone to fix something that should already work.

Hard to believer that I am the only one having this problem.

Anyone have any clues at all?

5 days later and I am still talking to my self.

I guess it is time to try a support ticket. I really don't expect a reply from them either… I sure hate pay a big price for something and there is no support of any kind.

Wow, I can't even do a support ticket unless I pay for the software first… What?? They don't even want to know the software is buggy and have no interest in selling it?

Very puzzling…

I guess I'm on my own, or I better find some place else to put my money.

Each carrier generally configures a max_weight that a package can be. UPS used to be 70lbs and anything above that needed to go by UPS Freight (which is a different carrier). I don't “ship” products so I can't really advise you on the admin side, but I can tell you that the cscart_shippings table contains a min_weight and max_weight column. I would think you could adjust this as you need if you are sure of the carrier limit you are exceeding.

Regarding support, helpdesk is usually pretty good about helping new users (trial users) without having to purchase support credits or to purchase a license. You should have had a helpdesk account created when you downloaded your trial version.

When I downloaded the software, I don't remember it asking for log in information. Had it done so, RoboForm would have ask me if I wanted to save the login info. I guess I can download it again and see what happens.

This is a very nice cart and will work great if I could just get the shipping weights to accept the standards. I have been shipping for years. UPS and FedEx has been 150 pounds max for as long as I can remember. However, the US Postal Service does have a 70 pound limit.

I found the min/max settings from the start and have tried setting them to 200 pounds which has no effect on the 70 pound limit. There is a test setup which will do a full 150 pounds and anything over that gets an error from UPS. But in the cart as a customer it is limited to 70. I have looked around in the code and don't find anything. But that gets above my head pretty quick.

I downloaded the software again and it don't ask for any information at all.

I really do like this software but, as far as i can tell there is no way to get to the help desk without a purchase. And with a 70 pound limit and no customer support, I don't see a use for the software and for sure an't going to shell out 500 dollars.

Why should I believe they will give me my money back if they will not talk to me before the purchase.

It is looking more and more like it will be good ole Yahoo. A little expensive, but they do have free tech support and the software works correctly.

Thanks for your help

I hate to revive a very old topic, but this is still an issue, at least with FedEx, as of version 4.3.5.... But now it's 150 pounds instead of 70.

There are two fields for assigning max weights in the shipping method (Weight Limit and Max Box Weight), but they do not appear to accomplish anything, regardless of what you put in the fields.

The way this works in every other cart I've ever used, and the way it should also work in CS-CART is for the shipping module to split the shipment into multiple boxes at assigned weight limits (Max Box Weight), and stop offering that particular shipping method once the shipment exceeds the assigned maximum (Weight Limit).

While FedEx Ground will not accept a box that weighs 300 pounds, they will accept 2 boxes that weigh up to 150 pounds each, or a shipment of 5 boxes weighing 70 pounds, 70 pounds, 70 pounds, 70 pounds and 20 pounds each respectively. The MAX BOX WEIGHT is supposed to define the way the boxes are split (once you hit the max box weight, another is created), but alas, it just doesn't work in CS-CART.

Functionally, it appears CS-CART is unable to quote realtime FedEx rates for shipments over 150 pounds because it does not obey the logic in the field it provides (Max Box Weight).

Is there any solution for this? It's a pretty ridiculous limitation for a shopping cart platform, and it's holding me back from purchasing about $1200 in CS-Cart licenses at the moment.

Thanks!

I hate to revive a very old topic, but this is still an issue, at least with FedEx, as of version 4.3.5.... But now it's 150 pounds instead of 70.

There are two fields for assigning max weights in the shipping method (Weight Limit and Max Box Weight), but they do not appear to accomplish anything, regardless of what you put in the fields.

The way this works in every other cart I've ever used, and the way it should also work in CS-CART is for the shipping module to split the shipment into multiple boxes at assigned weight limits (Max Box Weight), and stop offering that particular shipping method once the shipment exceeds the assigned maximum (Weight Limit).

While FedEx Ground will not accept a box that weighs 300 pounds, they will accept 2 boxes that weigh up to 150 pounds each, or a shipment of 5 boxes weighing 70 pounds, 70 pounds, 70 pounds, 70 pounds and 20 pounds each respectively. The MAX BOX WEIGHT is supposed to define the way the boxes are split (once you hit the max box weight, another is created), but alas, it just doesn't work in CS-CART.

Functionally, it appears CS-CART is unable to quote realtime FedEx rates for shipments over 150 pounds because it does not obey the logic in the field it provides (Max Box Weight).

Is there any solution for this? It's a pretty ridiculous limitation for a shopping cart platform, and it's holding me back from purchasing about $1200 in CS-Cart licenses at the moment.

Thanks!

There is not such a feature in standard CS-Cart installation which gives an ability to divide products into several boxes. This feature cannot be used with several products. For example, a bicycle which weight 300 lbs can be shipped in 2 or 3 boxes. But TV which weight 300 lbs cannot be shipped in several boxes.

I wish we could have rules for shipping much like the rule for discounts and coupons.

There is not such a feature in standard CS-Cart installation which gives an ability to divide products into several boxes. This feature cannot be used with several products. For example, a bicycle which weight 300 lbs can be shipped in 2 or 3 boxes. But TV which weight 300 lbs cannot be shipped in several boxes.

Right. The tv example is common sense. I don't think you understand the problem. It is possible for me to ship 300 products that weigh 1 pound each, but CS-Cart isn't intelligent enough to realize it. The way CS-Cart handles this isn't a feature, it's just broken.

Try this: Put 150 products that weigh exactly 1 pound each in your cart, and you'll be able to get a real-time quote from FedEx Ground. Place 151 products that weigh exactly 1 pound each in your cart, and it can't quote rates. That's a problem. hehehehe....

this issue has been discussed since V1.

To accomplish this, shipping settings need to be set for a product that include:

+ max_packages_per_item (I.e. how many pieces this can be broken into).

+ weight_per_piece

+ pieces_per_package

+ can_be_mixed_with_other_items

+ min_box_width

+ min_box_height

+ is_hazadrous (requires separate packaging entirely)

You could then mix "pieces" from different products/items into the fewest number of packages to ship.

But this also requires that you enable multiple packages where you would define

+ width

+ height

+ length

+ max weight

Then you'd calculate out of the total order how many packages are required for each shipment with the goal being the fewest number of packages.

There are algorithims already available in the public domain for calculating this. You could start out simple by simply accounting for breaking a single item into multiple packages as well as the combination of items into multiple packages. But first step would be to support multiple package sizes.

I just want to be able to get a realtime fedex shipping quote on orders that consist of multiple items but weigh over 150 pounds total. Customers should be able to order more than 150 pounds of products and get a quote. The manually assigned "max box weight" and "weight limit" variables in the admin should be used to determine this, but don't appear to work.

The fedex shipping module does not appear to use the settings you provide in "max box weight" (under the configure tab) at all. It doesn't appear to matter what number you put in there. How is this not considered a bug? hehehe....

Same issue. We have it set at 40.0 and a 53lb order came though. Customer paid 17.85 UPS Ground, we paid 24.xx to ship it as two boxes.

Maybe i'm missing a setting somewhere else but I don't think so.

We have single product with options so entering DIMS on the product is not feasible as a single item will ship in say a 5x7x8 box but the largest selection will ship in a 13x13x13 which is actually 41.00 lbs. We set limit to 40 so that any other item in the order would obviously go into another box.

Does ANYONE have a solution? 4.3.7

It requires a package manager that connects to shipping carriers and products and has the ability to calculate "product size" and "product wieght" to determine what the optimal package size should be. In general, it is almost always cheaper to ship on package than multiples regardless of weight as long as that weight is below the maximum for the carrier.