Product options inventory by SKU?

Am I totally missing this or can cs-cart not track existing inventory (ie product codes) as product options?

IE we have 2 of SKU1

Under SKU23 I want a global option that pulls inventory from SKU1. If a customer orders 2 of product options ‘SKU1’ SKU1 is now out of stock.

[quote name=‘bluecherry’]Am I totally missing this or can cs-cart not track existing inventory (ie product codes) as product options?

IE we have 2 of SKU1

Under SKU23 I want a global option that pulls inventory from SKU1. If a customer orders 2 of product options ‘SKU1’ SKU1 is now out of stock.[/QUOTE]

In CS-Cart there is ability to define different amount of products for option combinations. If you have product options and select “track with options” in “Inventory” select box, after you save the changes, the “Edit” button appears instead of the text input box in “Amount in stock” field. If you click on the button, the “Inventory” page is opened. There is a list with combinations of all product option values there. On this page you are able to define amount in stock as well as upload small and detailed image and different product code for each option combination.

[quote name=‘forward’]In CS-Cart there is ability to define different amount of products for option combinations. If you have product options and select “track with options” in “Inventory” select box, after you save the changes, the “Edit” button appears instead of the text input box in “Amount in stock” field. If you click on the button, the “Inventory” page is opened. There is a list with combinations of all product option values there. On this page you are able to define amount in stock as well as upload small and detailed image and different product code for each option combination.[/QUOTE]

I’m aware of this…but we need the ability to keep track of inventory for some product options as they are also products we sell seperately.

It would be double the work to keep track of the global products AND the actually product inventory

so for example if this were a computer - your saying that the computer might have parts case, motherboard, processor, etc… and you also sell those parts seperately… so if you sold out of the processors, they should be unavailable within whole computer too…

i guess the only way i can see this working is with the computer being made through product configurator - even then i would not know as have ot tried it myself…

I dont think the product configurator keeps track of existing stock (original SKU) numbers…but yes this is what we are trying to do.

[quote name=‘nevsie’]so for example if this were a computer - your saying that the computer might have parts case, motherboard, processor, etc… and you also sell those parts seperately… so if you sold out of the processors, they should be unavailable within whole computer too…

i guess the only way i can see this working is with the computer being made through product configurator - even then i would not know as have ot tried it myself…[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I asked about this awhile ago and received no response. Product options is useless, IMO, if it cannot track the individual products.

I ended up paying CS to mod a listmania template and set up the individual products in listmania under the main product.

It seems to me that there needs to be a class to include products that are configurable by the administrator but default for the customer.

Right now you have:

Products without options (single SKU)

Products with modification options (single SKU)

Products with varying options (several SKUs)

Configurator Bundles (several SKUs)

What is missing:

Assemblies (multiple SKUs in admin, single SKU for customer)

Really what you are taking about is a virtual SKU that represent a groups of SKUs by proxy.

This is almost like a promotion with all ‘buy product’ conditions connected by ANDs and then calling the promotion an SKU.

As a matter of fact, this is connected to a request that I have for the promotion tools - a person viewing the promotion be able to click a ‘GO FER IT’ button that applies all of the necessary steps required to get the promotion. Right now the customer has to read all the steps required and go through all the motions to get the promotion.

Perhaps we could do both?

1. Create a button that will take all the product purchase requirements of the promotion and have them apply - an add to cart button tied to the promotion. I’m guessing this could be done by encasing the promotion view template with a form, include hidden form fields for each product purchase requirement listing, and then using a similar add to cart button to the ones found on the ‘add all to cart’ option on the product listing page.

2. Allow a promotion with ONLY product requirements to have a virtual SKU assignable that acts like any other product.

3. Hide the virtual SKU promotion product - heck, hide regular promotions too - if ANY of the required product purchases are unavailable.

Seasoned CS coders, are my hunches off-base?

Oh yeah - it would be nice to be able to assign an image pair to a promotion too. :cool:

I know I’m “dredging up” an old thread, but I think this is what I’m looking for also…

I have a client who sells saddles, and those saddles have “accessory” options… however, those accessories are also individual products… the configurator would probably do what I want except for 2 things…

1, if the “accessory” has required options, it doesn’t ask for them…

2, the configurator doesn’t allow for text options (like in this case, he needs to know the inseam length of the rider so that the saddle can be built to the riders needs)

so, my issue is, I don’t want to change the “sku” for the main product based on options… and there would be like 3000 combinations (there are 17 options with sometimes 6 choices each)… but I want the sku for the option to show on the order

like:

CODE Product Price Quantity Subtotal
WE Western Saddle 1749.00 1 1749.00
Options:
CE415 Rear Cinch: Yes (+$125.00)
AC_435 Tree: Standard

note, on the above example,

AC_435 is the sku for Tree: Standard,

however, AC_437 is the sku for Tree: Wide

any ideas?

Luckdragon…

Do you use quickbooks? Can you confirm that when a configurable product is exported it shows up as just the configurable product SKU with sub-products as options versus a list of subproduct SKUs?

I think what I am going to look into is reversing the current model - i.e. instead of having the configurable product dominate with the skus attached acting to describe the components, I 'm going to try to reverse the priority so that individual products are listed, with a concat note in the product title saying (part of a set)…

i.e. instead of

123-K-ALL - Widget assembly incl. sde-4, sfr-6, sgr-8

have it say:

SDE-4 green widget (part of 123-K-ALL)

SFR-6 blue widget (part of 123-K-ALL)

SGR-8 red widget holder (part of 123-K-ALL)

Seems very cosmetic to me… This would probably get passed to an alternative view variable so that if someone wanted to use one version for display while another is sent to a warehouse (my problem) or to quickbooks.

Ideally it is probably just a function or two that followed by a view assignment - something that could either be slipped into a regular controller or as a post add-on. It depends on how the configurable product gets pulled together in the order_info array.

Best-case scenario a person should be able to choose between tracking the assembly sub components, or the components sub assembly.