Product Name As Alt And Page Title?

I'm getting ready to upload my images, around 4K for around 1K products for my first batch, and thinking about how I can make this task manageable. Clearly I need to generate page titles and ALT tags from my products database, but I'm wondering if similarities of ALT tags to page titles will be penalized. My first thought is to use the product name for both, although in many cases the product name lacks important information as the database was developed for use in a brick and mortar store and only we had to understand it. I can do something which combines other product fields with product name but this would result in many products having similar word and phrase components in the generated ALT tags and page titles. (This can't be bad in itself, I guess.) I've thought that perhaps I should generate more SEO friendly product names for CS-Cart, as well.

My work flow would be: 1)generate SEO friendly product names from my POS database, 2)generate ALT and Page titles from SEO friendly product names. Is it OK if the page titles and ALT tags for each product are the same? Is it OK if many product names, although not identical, contain the same word or phrase?

Which is more critical for SEO, ALT tags or page titles? There will be around 4X the number of alt tags as page titles.

Would appreciate insights as to how others approach this, and thanks in advance for any help.

Hi there,

I have an unpublished add-on for CS-Cart generation SEO image names, and alt tags for products and categories.

If you are interested in, write me a message.

This Add-on will be available for sale, soon. We are working on our site :)

Regards,

Istvan

[quote name=‘merchantman’ timestamp=‘1389707115’ post=‘175108’]

I’m getting ready to upload my images, around 4K for around 1K products for my first batch, and thinking about how I can make this task manageable. Clearly I need to generate page titles and ALT tags from my products database, but I’m wondering if similarities of ALT tags to page titles will be penalized. My first thought is to use the product name for both, although in many cases the product name lacks important information as the database was developed for use in a brick and mortar store and only we had to understand it. I can do something which combines other product fields with product name but this would result in many products having similar word and phrase components in the generated ALT tags and page titles. (This can’t be bad in itself, I guess.) I’ve thought that perhaps I should generate more SEO friendly product names for CS-Cart, as well.

My work flow would be: 1)generate SEO friendly product names from my POS database, 2)generate ALT and Page titles from SEO friendly product names. Is it OK if the page titles and ALT tags for each product are the same? Is it OK if many product names, although not identical, contain the same word or phrase?

Which is more critical for SEO, ALT tags or page titles? There will be around 4X the number of alt tags as page titles.

Would appreciate insights as to how others approach this, and thanks in advance for any help.

[/quote]

Thanks Istvan. I would be interested in your add-on. I was using an Applescript to rename images for SEO, I think rather crudely but better than camera filenames. Your add-on would be very helpful as I go over the database to fix or complete things locally and then let the web site update itself with the add-on.