Problems with URL's changing with each upgrade

Hi Everyone,

I've been having some problems for the past few upgrades that I thought I would ask for some help with.

Basically, every time I upgrade my shop to the next version, the URL's for products seem to change without warning which plays havoc with my Google rankings.

Originally I had my set-up as Http://www.url.com/motors/brand/blab.htm" using the SEO addon (Mod+rewrite). This worked fine for a while, but with my next upgrade to 2.12 all the URL's went to links like :

http://www.url.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=220

So first lot of backlinks all lost because of this cart.

Now I've just upgraded to 2.14 and again, a lot of my links went and changed themselves and now some of the category id's have changed themselves.

I have no idea why the cart is screwing around with the URL's with each upgrade, but its costing me rankings in google and when I go to the webmaster tools, I have pages and pages of 404 errors and google has to rescan my site all over again which pretty much resets any rankings I'd earned.

This is all while the mod+rewrite is still turned on, but it's just ignoring the stuff in there and posting rubbish URL's like the last one I posted above.

Is there any way to actually fix this problem? Has anyone else has the same problem and managed to find a solution ?

[quote name='bytraper' timestamp='1311509184' post='118120']

Hi Everyone,

I've been having some problems for the past few upgrades that I thought I would ask for some help with.

Basically, every time I upgrade my shop to the next version, the URL's for products seem to change without warning which plays havoc with my Google rankings.

Originally I had my set-up as Http://www.url.com/motors/brand/blab.htm" using the SEO addon (Mod+rewrite). This worked fine for a while, but with my next upgrade to 2.12 all the URL's went to links like :

Now I've just upgraded to 2.14 and again, a lot of my links went and changed themselves and now some of the category id's have changed themselves.

I have no idea why the cart is screwing around with the URL's with each upgrade, but its costing me rankings in google and when I go to the webmaster tools, I have pages and pages of 404 errors and google has to rescan my site all over again which pretty much resets any rankings I'd earned.

This is all while the mod+rewrite is still turned on, but it's just ignoring the stuff in there and posting rubbish URL's like the last one I posted above.

Is there any way to actually fix this problem? Has anyone else has the same problem and managed to find a solution ?

[/quote]

check to make sure you have the .htaccess file listed.

SEO/Mod-rewrite requires the correct 'coding' that is contained within said file.

[quote name='bytraper' timestamp='1311509184' post='118120']

Hi Everyone,

[/quote]

[size=“2”]Yep, I have the same problem and have been trying for DAYS to figure out how to remedy it with no luck.[/size]

Either you have an incorrect .htaccess file in root directory of your store, you do not have the RewriteBase directive set correctly in your .htaccess or your server is not supporting Apache Rewrites. The URL of dispatch=.&= will be used if SEO is not working correctly on your site.

What happens if you use the old url like: foo.com/my_product.html? Does it resolve to the correct page?

URLS changed for images in 2.1.0 but no other URL's have changed in the standard cart. Be sure your SEO addon is enabled and that you have cleared your site's cache via ?cc