Performance Backend V403 Is Very Poor

For a client we are performing an upgrade from v306 to v403. The webshop is running in VPS environment and the performance of the v306 backend is ok.

After the store import the performance of v403 is terrible. The backend is so slow that working with it is almost impossible.[list]

[]login takes about 15 seconds

[
]loading orders takes anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds

[*]loading category and product pages takes 20+ seconds

[/list]

Even the performance of the frontend is not that good.

I already contacted CS-Cart and they adviced to increase memory and execution timeout. This had no effect. Since communicating with CS-Cart takes forever I post the issue here.

Also disabled all unnecessary addons.

For our client the v403 is not good enough so any advice on increasing performance is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there

we have talked about this in another post, and one very important factor (in my case at least) was apache keep alive.

have you tried this?

Also if you could enable Lightspeed, it would be also very helpful. I saw a huge difference in performance. v 4 is much heavier as v306.

Fotis

Thanks for the fast response. To be honest I am no expert on servers and server configuration.

I will pass this information to our hostprovider and let them do some tests.

Check settings in config.local.php and make sure they are all set to the standard settings for Tweak and Cache Backend. you may have some setting from 3.06 that doesn't work well for 4.03.

On my install this makes no sense but I had very slow admin with 'gzip_css_js' set to true. As soon as I set it to false the backend works much faster.

Since your issue is across all objects, I'd suggest that you optimize all the tables in your database. An import does a lot of insert/deletes that can cause “holes” in the DB which makes it much slower for future inserts.

Also check your PHP error_log file. You might be using an addon that is using deprecated features of PHP or similar. The error_log might be a good indicator of fundamental things that might be wrong.

Do you know what PHP/mySQL versions you are running? Any idea how much of your VPS memory is allocated to mySQL? It should be at least 25% and optimally more if you can afford it.

The new backend load times are slow. We are running a live site of 2.2.4 all cached/tuned etc, and our dev site of 4.0.3 is FASTER in the frontend than our live site. The Admin of V4, as you mention, is very slow.

I wouldnt just enable “keep alive” for the benefit of the Admin, without examining the server specs first. he could make things worse, and perhaps impact the performance of the (more important) frontend, live store.

[quote name='dvsgr' timestamp='1389220909' post='174753']

Hi there

we have talked about this in another post, and one very important factor (in my case at least) was apache keep alive.

have you tried this?

Also if you could enable Lightspeed, it would be also very helpful. I saw a huge difference in performance. v 4 is much heavier as v306.

Fotis

[/quote]

[quote name='Scott_C' timestamp='1389258566' post='174778']

I wouldnt just enable “keep alive” for the benefit of the Admin, without examining the server specs first. he could make things worse, and perhaps impact the performance of the (more important) frontend, live store.

[/quote]

Well Scott_c

all the times I have done this, result was nothing more than speed in both sides.

This comes also from CS-Cart's “mouth” during speed issues with some new version Stores.

And in my opinion (as I said before) this is a trial and error procedure. You can never tell for sure.

Fotis

VPS is running php 5.3.27 en mysql 5.5.31. Not sure how much memory is allocated to mySQL. Will inform hosting provider.

The performance issues are not constant. After loggin almost every page is slow. But once all pages have been accessed, performance is more than oke. Loadtime between 1 and 5 seconds.

After a x amount of time or actions (???) the performance drops and backend is painfully slow again. This seems to be a continuous cycle.

Version 4.x is kind of funny. I've had mixed results with the speed. I've always been happy with ServInt and manage like 14 different ServInt servers. I had a client that we upgraded from 1.3.x to 4.0.3 and the speed was horrible. It was a major project and the client wasn't at all happy with the speed. I had guys optimize the server and worked with ServInt to try and speed things up, but nothing helped. No matter what we did, it wasn't even close to the 1.3 site.

Finally I decided to purchase a server with the client's host that they were already on. That host is Interserver. I moved the 4.x site over to this new dedicated server and it just flew. I have no clue what the difference was, but it made a huge difference.

We went from 10 - 15 seconds for the homepage to load and 6 - 8 seconds to switch between pages all the way down to 3 seconds for the homepage and about 1 second between pages. The difference was amazing.

I don't know if this would be true with all installs and all servers, but changing hosts made a huge difference for this site.

Anyways, I just figured I'd share my experiences. I know it doesn't solve anything, but maybe it will be some help.

Thanks,

Brandon

Hi Brandonvd

my expirience too. I have this store on a normal VPS (its a store with more than 7 stores and over 24.000 products shared with almost 2000 categories and more than 20 heavy custom addons) and time between pages or categories etc is not more than 2 sec, (most cases is 1 sec).

It was on a dell R720 with 128GB RAM and t was slow! This Vps has no more than 1536MB RAM and its almost three times faster than before. Server configuration is very important.

Hi Fotis, if the server doesn't have enough memory, adding Keep Alive can be detrimental to performance. Dont get me wrong, I think it is a good suggestion, just one I would apply with caution. Certainly I wouldn't do it by “trial and error” as you say, on a live server. No offense intended.

[quote name='dvsgr' timestamp='1389259123' post='174780']

Well Scott_c

all the times I have done this, result was nothing more than speed in both sides.

This comes also from CS-Cart's “mouth” during speed issues with some new version Stores.

And in my opinion (as I said before) this is a trial and error procedure. You can never tell for sure.

Fotis

[/quote]

None taken .

Dont worry. Just tryin to help.

As I wrote above Rack Server VS VPS (both keep ALive) 0-1. I know its crazy, but server config is the crucial Factor in this example.

Fotis

[quote name='Scott_C' timestamp='1389313594' post='174844']

Hi Fotis, if the server doesn't have enough memory, adding Keep Alive can be detrimental to performance. Dont get me wrong, I think it is a good suggestion, just one I would apply with caution. Certainly I wouldn't do it by “trial and error” as you say, on a live server. No offense intended.

[/quote]

This is the answer from CS-Cart after they examined the server settings:

[quote]It looks like there is a cache issue on your server when it is cleared from time to time. I can see the following modules enabled on your server: mod_file_cache, mod_cache, mod_cache_disk, mod_cache_socache, mod_socache_shmcb, mod_socache_dbm, mod_socache_memcache. Please try disabling them and let me know if this helps to resolve the problem. CS-Cart has its own caching system and we usually do not recommend to use any PHP accelerators and similar modules.[/quote]

I communicated this to our host provider. Did not receive any feedback from them so I don't know the results yet. However all information surrounding this topic could be helpfull to others.

[quote name='ehenderichs' timestamp='1389440253' post='174918']

This is the answer from CS-Cart after they examined the server settings:

I communicated this to our host provider. Did not receive any feedback from them so I don't know the results yet. However all information surrounding this topic could be helpfull to others.

[/quote]

This had not the desired effect. Performance issue stil present. CS-Cart helpdesk very slow and don't seem very keen on solving this.

Finally we made some progress with this issue. CS-Cart replied: they added an additional index to the cscart_supplier_links table.

This seems to be an good improvement on the overall performance of the backend.

I'm on 4.1.4 and the backend is very slow sometimes…excruciatingly so. I just timed going from the admin home page (dashboard) to the products page and it took 26 seconds. Seriously?

On one or two occasions I might as well have gone off and made a fresh pot of coffee.

I have run the Optimize database command in the backend and it hasn't changed anything. I only have 400 or so SKU's so it's not like I have a huge database of products anyway. It's much slower in some things than version 3.0.6. which is disappointing.

I think you will find that the DB is blocking. Many times this can be resolved by increasing your system memory and/or changing the percentage allocated to mySQL. The more of mySQL you can get running in memory the better. Work with your host to identify the issue and find a system solution.

But this has been a common complaint here.

May I know if I ran CS Cart on a shared server, does that mean i will have slow loading time? Do more products loaded into the shopping cart , the slower it runs?