PCI Compliance and Home Computers/Phone Orders

Hi,

When I answer the PCI questionnaire and indicate that I may take phone orders and enter users credit card information on forms on the internet either through cres-secure in my cs-cart (act on behalf) or directly into a form on PayLeap (my processor), then my home computer, wireless network and Verizon router needs to be PCI compliant. I currently have my home network scanned the same way as I did for a website. Most of the questions I don’t even understand. They want to know about packets, telnet, router security access etc.

There are also requirements if you take phone orders using a VOIP phone. I don’t, I use regular land-line phones, so I don’t worry about this, but was asked by the security company.

You never really hear about these requirements. They cause me more problems than my web store. Does anyone else concern themselves with phone orders and entering CC information for customers using home Network PC’s. If it is such a potential problem, then every customer is at risk anyway, even if they do enter the information themselves in a PCI compliant web store.

Thanks,

Bob

pbannette

As a small shop owner are these policies making it harder stay :confused:

in business or are there guide lines that would make it easier to implement as it

seems to me that I have the same questions and concern as you.

The differences here of course are the differences in networking types between “Wireless” vs" “Wired” (ethernet cable connected devices).

You just have to realize that with a wireless network, “Anyone” located within your wireless signal transmittal range could easily access your network via wireless connection unless you block their access, which is why you simply need to limit the access to your wireless network so that only the pc’s or other devices you choose to allow actually can have access.

There is nothing overly complicated about protecting a wireless network, it just requires a little study & some common sense practice.

Also, with wireless networking there are 3 basic protocols, Wireless B, G, or N. When purchasing your wireless router, & network adapters, opt for the Wireless “N” protocol as it offers the strongest security options.