Packaging (Tare) Weight

Hi All,

I’m after a mod that would allow the addition of packaging weight to the product weight which would work in a similar way to the Product Cost Dependency on the shipping pages.

I have received a quote from CS-Cart which is very expensive but worse, cannot be implemented for at last 3 weeks.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Graham.

just thinking out loud here…

since you know the tare weight for the product, can’t you just put that on the individual product page as the shipping amount, then it is added to the shipping calculation at checkout. (if you like you can probably even change the language to tare)

Hi Mike,

In theory yes, in practice no. For instance, I have numerous light products which weigh only 30g, padded envelope weighs 60g therefore the total weight is 90g but, if the customer buys 2 of these, the total weight would come up as 180g whereas in reality, only one padded bag would be required so the weight should be 120g.

It’s OK for single purchases but not multiple ones.

I could do it with a cost dependency but this would allow customers to purchase goods up to a weight of 2kg (the limit for air mail) but wouldn’t allow for the weight of the packaging which would take the order over that 2kg limit.

I’m surprised that this feature is missing although CS-Cart isn’t alone in this. It is included in osCommerce where I am migrating from.

Regards,

Graham.

can’t you add a weight adjustment to the overall shipping thing? like if it weighs between this and that, add x?

[quote name=‘luckdragon’]can’t you add a weight adjustment to the overall shipping thing? like if it weighs between this and that, add x?[/QUOTE]

You can add a financial value but not a weight value which is what I require.

Regards,

Graham.

I don’t know… I guess to me, having the weight be off by 1/2lb or something isn’t that big a deal… I mean if they buy 2, and you added .5 lbs to the weight to allocate for packaging, it’s not that big a deal… heck, look at ebay where you buy something for 5 bux and pay 30 in shipping for a 2lb product…

[quote name=‘luckdragon’]I don’t know… I guess to me, having the weight be off by 1/2lb or something isn’t that big a deal… I mean if they buy 2, and you added .5 lbs to the weight to allocate for packaging, it’s not that big a deal… heck, look at ebay where you buy something for 5 bux and pay 30 in shipping for a 2lb product…[/QUOTE]

I know what you’re getting at and perhaps my example wasn’t a good one:

I sell model kits and paints and some customers will buy 20+ pots of paint so the 60g for the padded bag per paint would then become 1.2kg for packaging alone! Do you see the problem?

Regards,

Graham.

yes, but what does it cost for 1.2kg of packaging? I’m asking because using your example, if it costs say $5, $5/20 = .25 per item… just create a set of wholesale prices available to all that give them a discount when they buy in bulk… so if it normally costs $5 for a bottle of paint and packaging, and they buy 2, they get the 2 of them for 4.75… then your shipping gets tacked on for the 60g each, and your cost is back to what it was originally… that make sense? (it’s 4am so I don’t know if I’m making sense or not)

[quote name=‘luckdragon’]yes, but what does it cost for 1.2kg of packaging? I’m asking because using your example, if it costs say $5, $5/20 = .25 per item… just create a set of wholesale prices available to all that give them a discount when they buy in bulk… so if it normally costs $5 for a bottle of paint and packaging, and they buy 2, they get the 2 of them for 4.75… then your shipping gets tacked on for the 60g each, and your cost is back to what it was originally… that make sense? (it’s 4am so I don’t know if I’m making sense or not)[/QUOTE]

Hi again,

Getting a bit complicated now which is the last thing that I need :slight_smile:

Just as an example, 1.2kg item costs £13.07 to send by airmail ($26).

Regards,

Graham.

Can’t you use “Shipping freight” for this ?

[quote name=‘Darius’]Can’t you use “Shipping freight” for this ?[/QUOTE]

Hi Darius,

No, the shipping freight is a cost addition (which I use for the cost of the packaging) and not a weight addition which is what I need.

Regards,

Graham.

Thanks for the input everybody.

I’ve had the job done by http://www.shippingkit.com for minimum cost, no fuss and job completed in a day.

They did the job 3 weeks quicker than CS-Cart and for 80% less! Very highly recommended.

Regards,

Graham.

glad to hear it! :slight_smile:

Great! I need this done as well.