Out Of Inodes

Was contacted by host to either increase resources or clear up space. Got 30GB of space used 5GB. After clearing cache inodes were ~18% now after couple of hours it increases again.

/var/cache/registry

contains of alot of small files. Am on latest cart version now did not had any similar problems on 2x

I delete my cache a couple of times a week to keep the inodes at a reasonable level to keep my hosting company happy. A pain. I did purchase an add-on to automatically clear the cache however this required cron expertise so I never implemented it. For me this is a design issues as if I have to keep clearing the cache it would be better to not have it at all.

When I opened this thread Inodes were at 23% now this morning 40% (+17% overnight). Space used were 5.3GB this morning 6.3GB. From what I read in hosting email, using all inodes can damage database not repairable. So is this design issue or what?

So as I said earlier

/var/cache/registry

contains tons of filter and block files but 1GB of them overnight?

[quote name='Darius' timestamp='1411406224' post='192686']

Was contacted by host to either increase resources or clear up space. Got 30GB of space used 5GB. After clearing cache inodes were ~18% now after couple of hours it increases again.

/var/cache/registry

contains of alot of small files. Am on latest cart version now did not had any similar problems on 2x

[/quote]

We faced this issue in one store. We contacted CS-Cart support team and they said that it is normal and we should clear cache by cron task. We were little disappointed, but this trick solved the issue.

How many GB of cache is normal, 100 ? Since when cs-cart became mega resource eater?

Darius - cs-cart has always been heavy on resources. However, they made a trade off to speed up the cache by only reading what was needed rather then everything that was cached for each page read. Hence there are many more files in the registry cache but it improves performance. Additionally if you have many languages configured but not used, removing those languages will also give you back a lot of cache files.

The real solution is to run a VPS and not a shared server. You can then configure/control the resources needed to run your business software. Your host can help you with the configuration of your VPS.

Note that our EZ Admin Helper addon can be configured to clear the cache (actually the different caches) at whatever interval you want. It requires setup of one cron entry that fires off every hour. The scheduling of all its tasks are at 1hr granularity and that scheduler is completely within the addon. So you can clear cache(s), update currencies, backup DB, backup site, monitor files at any frequency you want. It also has links to change the admin URL and to force customers to reset their passwords. All from one management page.

The addon is also available for all versions of cs-cart back to V2.2.1.

My site has only one lang. ~3000 products, rather many filters, runs on vps

CPU: 13.30 GHz (7 x 1.90 GHz)

RAM: 4096 MB + 2048 MB SWAP (used 3008 MB)

HDD: 30 GB RAID [color=“000000”](used 7.4 GB)[/color] [color=“000000”](Inode 60%)[/color] (20 MB/s, 200 IOPS)

So when started thread inodes were 18%, today 60% (~2.5GB of temp files so far). I understand that I can clear cache, get clear cache automatically but is this a proper solution? So if I go to vacation my database would get damage if I will not use third party addons or clear cache manually. I see no logic, it should not be this way.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1411520144' post='192770']

Darius - cs-cart has always been heavy on resources. However, they made a trade off to speed up the cache by only reading what was needed rather then everything that was cached for each page read. Hence there are many more files in the registry cache but it improves performance. Additionally if you have many languages configured but not used, removing those languages will also give you back a lot of cache files.

The real solution is to run a VPS and not a shared server. You can then configure/control the resources needed to run your business software. Your host can help you with the configuration of your VPS.

Note that our EZ Admin Helper addon can be configured to clear the cache (actually the different caches) at whatever interval you want. It requires setup of one cron entry that fires off every hour. The scheduling of all its tasks are at 1hr granularity and that scheduler is completely within the addon. So you can clear cache(s), update currencies, backup DB, backup site, monitor files at any frequency you want. It also has links to change the admin URL and to force customers to reset their passwords. All from one management page.

The addon is also available for all versions of cs-cart back to V2.2.1.

[/quote]

Percentages don't say much. I.e. a 10% increase in something that is 50 could be significant while a 10% increase in something that is 500K could be very significant.

There is one inode for every file or item stored on the disks.

Since you have a VPS, why not just have your host double your inode configuration? Inodes take up RAM (small amount of the buffer cache) but are static. They are used as a lookup table for disk IO activity. They are read from the disk at startup and written periodically for security. But they are a RAM based resource. In some L/Unix kernels, they are loaded on demand and others they are brought in in their entirety.

So I'd just increase the number of inodes and move on…

Server support says to increase inodes you need to increase HDD. That will cost additional money and not sure if this will solve problem if data will be stored endlessly.

Major space is used by wt_data and pfilters files.

As I figured wt_data belongs to watermark addon. Have disabled in now…

Be interested to see what the following returns:

tune2fs -l /dev/sda1

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]To add more inodes will require rebuilding your filesystem. That's probably why your hosting says you need more HDD (they would want to add a filesystem versus backup/rebuild/restore the one you have. Seems like watermarked images should take less space than your primary images directory[/font]. What are 'pfilters files'?

'pfilters files' product filters I suppose. Have many product filters but even if I would imagine all possible filter combinations registry directory still contains too many of them.

My host said ystem should be capable of coping with ~1mil inodes, registry temp in few days make ~2-3GB of small ~4KB files…

Don't see that here so would require investigation of your server/installation.

Ok so this is killing my site

/public_html/var/cache/registry/pfilters_e7a6650ae9bf69dd65dbc8751eda0186/1/C_GET_categories_view.0_1.en.EUR

in just one minute cart creates 50-100 of pfilters_e7a6650ae9bf69dd65dbc8751eda0186 categories… What a hell is going on?

Inside

":2:{s:4:“data”;a:2:{i:0;a:8:{i:3;a:15:{s:10:“feature_id”;s:1:“0”;s:9:“filter_id”;s:1:“3”;s:10:“field_type”;s:1:“F”;s:8:“round_to”;s:1:“1”;s:7:“display”;s:1:“Y”;s:13:“display_count”;s:2:“10”;s:18:“display_more…”

Darius, have you submitted a ticket to Helpdesk?

Suggest you review your product filters for what you really want.

It will create data related to whatever the matrix of filters is setup to be. If you have a 10x10 matrix (feature/value) then that's 100 different filter solutions. If you have 10000 x 1000 then that's 10,000,000 feature solutions. As Kingsly said, you'd be further ahead to spend a few support credits and get it answered by someone who can look at your setup and either recommend changes to you or fix the bugs if they exist and then not charge you credits.

We're all guessing here because no one is going to do diagnostic work on your site for you for free.