Order placement improvements

CS-Cart Team,

I just noticed that you started replying to the UserVoice ideas and marking some of them as started or under review. Thank you so much for paying attention to your customers!

Adam

If there is an error in the payment process the error needs to be presented on the page where the Credit card was entered or the system needs to redirect back to the page where the user clicked “Place order” and the error should be descriptive as far as what the problem is. The system should not redirect the customer off of the page if there is a payment error. Just my .02…

[quote name=‘Ion_Cannon’]If there is an error in the payment process the error needs to be presented on the page where the Credit card was entered or the system needs to redirect back to the page where the user clicked “Place order” and the error should be descriptive as far as what the problem is. The system should not redirect the customer off of the page if there is a payment error. Just my .02…[/QUOTE]

I think it works the way you suggest:

[QUOTE]# If this is the online payment method:

• if payment response is “positive”, status changes to “processed” and customer redirected to landing page.
  • if payment response is “negative”, customer is redirected to the last step of checkout and error is displayed in the “big red box” . If customer click “place order” again, new order will not be created, will be used the current one.[/QUOTE]

But I would like zeke to clarify what is displayed in the ‘big red box’. I agree that it needs to describe the actual problems (e.g., address mismatch, incorrect CVV).

Bob

Can we add a summary page on just before checkout that includes the cart contents?

[quote name=‘moka’]Can we add a summary page on just before checkout that includes the cart contents?[/QUOTE]

That would not be part of this enhancement. These improvements deal with what happens after your click the “Place order” button until the customer receives either a successful response (The “Thank you” landing page) or unsuccessful response (the customer is taken back to the payment details).

There is another accepted idea in the UserVoice system which deals with improvements in the checkout itself:

[url]http://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/40782-general/suggestions/539155-simplify-and-improve-checkout[/url]

You can leave comments there or wait till they open a new thread here to discuss those changes.

Bob

Zeke,

This is fantastic news to see you guys are listening.

Based on this news I am going to commence my work using 2.0.12.

I am asumming this will eliminate the issue with duplicate orders which was one of concerns?

Also, I have to ask so I don’t make too many changes for a work around in 2.0.12, – What is the estimated delivery timeline for 2.1? Sorry can’t help myself but ask atleast.!!

[quote name=‘sellon’]

Also, I have to ask so I don’t make too many changes for a work around in 2.0.12, – What is the estimated delivery timeline for 2.1? Sorry can’t help myself but ask atleast.!![/QUOTE]

Was wondering to. I am on 1.3.5 and have been twiddling my thumbs with indecision as to when to upgrade.

[quote name=‘moka’]Was wondering to. I am on 1.3.5 and have been twiddling my thumbs with indecision as to when to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Hello Moka,

CS-Cart made reference to Mid March, and you know how that goes with software releases. :wink:

My bet is it will be released anytime between now & the next ten days.

[quote name=‘Struck’]Hello Moka,

CS-Cart made reference to Mid March, and you know how that goes with software releases. :wink:

My bet is it will be released anytime between now & the next ten days.[/QUOTE]

Struck,

Are you talking about 2.1 here or 2.0.13?

& will there be a 2.0.13 or will they just come out with everything in 2.1?

I can’t see how 2.1 could be so soon given there seems to be lot of work here unless they have dropped everything and working on this for 2.1!!

[quote name=‘sellon’]Struck,

Are you talking about 2.1 here or 2.0.13?

& will there be a 2.0.13 or will they just come out with everything in 2.1?

I can’t see how 2.1 could be so soon given there seems to be lot of work here unless they have dropped everything and working on this for 2.1!![/QUOTE]

I am referring to the next release which is 2.0.13, like Bob mentioned in another thread, 2.1 will likely be months away, and Bob / Jobosales is always up to date to the fraction of a minute on these things! :wink:

[quote name=‘Struck’]I am referring to the next release which is 2.0.13, like Bob mentioned in another thread, 2.1 will likely be months away, and Bob / Jobosales is always up to date to the fraction of a minute on these things! ;)[/QUOTE]

Hey, my guesstimate is based on public information:

1. A couple of CS-Cart developers said mid-Matrch;
  2. there is always a flurry of status updates in the Bug Tracker about a week to 10 days before a release;
  3. the developers have publicly identified areas to be addressed in 2.1 (IOW, 2.0.13 is all but wrapped up).

Watch! They will probably alter their Bug Tracker patterns to better obfuscate release dates in the future.

It’s hard to be a developer - if you provide no information your customers get antsy and if you do provide a date and miss it you are held to that even when circumstances inevitably change.

Bob

Sorry… hit that enter button too quickly.

At any rate, this thread is about the changes we would like to see in the order placement process. Let’s try to keep it on track.

Another improvement I would like to see on the successful order landing page is the opportunity for someone who has just checked out as a guest to create an account by supplying a username & password. After having just provided their customer information, a ‘guest’ will often figure “what the heck”, especially when you point out the benefits: order history, reward points, lower member prices, special promotions or advanced notice of general promotions.

Bob

[QUOTE]It’s hard to be a developer - if you provide no information your customers get antsy and if you do provide a date and miss it you are held to that even when circumstances inevitably change.[/QUOTE]

No doubt Bob, although I am not in this industry, I have learned over the years that it is nearly impossible for software companies to give & follow an exact release date (unless they do one major release per year like Intuit for example).

As you know, CS-Cart actually does give us far more “insider knowledge” than many software development companies do, and actually does a very good job of releasing close to expected release dates. Although a new release every couple of months can create alot of extra work for people, as I have mentioned before, it is far worse to deal with a critical bug in your cart program for months upon months waiting for any kind of updates! So, personally I do give CS-Cart alot of credit for fixing these 2.0 bugs (after a complete re-write) as quickly as possible! :wink:

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Sorry… hit that enter button too quickly.

At any rate, this thread is about the changes we would like to see in the order placement process. Let’s try to keep it on track.

Another improvement I would like to see on the successful order landing page is the opportunity for someone who has just checked out as a guest to create an account by supplying a username & password. After having just provided their customer information, a ‘guest’ will often figure “what the heck”, especially when you point out the benefits: order history, reward points, lower member prices, special promotions or advanced notice of general promotions.

Bob[/QUOTE]

And the fact that the only difference to becoming “registered” is simply entering a chosen password! :wink:

[quote name=‘Struck’]And the fact that the only difference to becoming “registered” is simply entering a chosen password! ;)[/QUOTE]

They would need to enter a username too if the store does not use the email as username. I am just nit picking.

This is such a no-brainer which has been requested by numerous others over the years. I hope that the developers will see the introduction of the landing page as the perfect opportunity to include this feature.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]They would need to enter a username too if the store does not use the email as username. I am just nit picking.

This is such a no-brainer which has been requested by numerous others over the years. I hope that the developers will see the introduction of the landing page as the perfect opportunity to include this feature.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Somewhat off topic, yet somewhat related… We should also have the ability thru admin to convert a guest user into a registered user after they have placed the initial order simply by adding a password and (possibly username)!

[quote name=‘Struck’]Somewhat off topic, yet somewhat related… We should also have the ability thru admin to convert a guest user into a registered user after they have placed the initial order simply by adding a password and (possibly username)![/QUOTE]

Yep. It needs to be added to the UserVoice area as a separate idea. Unfortunately, I am out of points.

Bob

How about changing ‘order_id’ to the type varchar(12)? Even magento commerce support ‘order_id’ as a varchar. Some people like appending letters to their order numbers for various purposes.

I don’t link consecutive order numbers.

I already changed it in my database and scripts.

Problem is that with every update, I have to change bunch of tables and modify a bunch of scripts to support varchar(12) for ‘order_id’.

But that’s just me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course you can keep ‘invoice_id’ an int(8).

[quote name=‘pbannette’]Zeke,

In the admin, can you have a text area that would insert into the landing page? This area would contain other messages a cart owner would like to put and also the many tracking codes that many use.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Sure, there will be the textarea for the landing page message. Regarding tracking numbers - it’s not clear for me a little. As far as I understand, store owner enters tracking numbers after the order is placed, so customer won’t see them on landing page. Please explain this if I’m not right.

[quote name=‘jobosales’]

In addition, I would like to see payment-specific messages displayed on the landing page

[/QUOTE]

Good idea, added to specification.