Order Complete Email Template

I like the content of the email that is sent to the custom when you use the "Create detailed shipment" link and then click on the box next to "Send shipment notification to customer". So I found the code in this file "email_templates.xml" and I copied it to the email template that is sent to customers when the order status "Complete" is selected. Overall it works but it doesn't send any information that is in an "if" statement. Is there any way I can tweak this code to make that information show in the "Complete" email that is sent to the customer?

I realize I could just use the "Send shipment notification to customer" option and not have it send any email when the "Complete" status is selected (so the customer doesn't get two emails) but I want to change the subject and title that is in the "Send shipment notification to customer" email.

{{ __("dear") }} {{ order_info.firstname }},

{{ __("products_were_sent") }}

{{ __("order_id") }}: #{{ order_info.order_id }}

{{ __("shipping_method") }}: {{ shipment.shipping }}
{{ __("shipment_date") }}: {{ shipment.timestamp|date("#{settings.Appearance.date_format}, #{settings.Appearance.time_format}") }}
{% if shipment.carrier_info %} {{ __("carrier") }}: {{ shipment.carrier_info.name }}
{% endif %} {% if shipment.tracking_number %} {{ __("tracking_number") }}:  {% if shipment.carrier_info.tracking_url %} {{ shipment.tracking_number }} {% else %} {{ shipment.tracking_number }} {% endif %}

{% endif %} {{ shipment.carrier_info.info }} {{ __("products") }}:

{% for hash, amount in shipment.products %} {% if amount > 0 %} {{ amount }} x {{ order_info.products[hash].product }}
{% if order_info.products[hash].product_options %} {% for option in order_info.products[hash].product_options %} {{ option.option_name }}: {{ option.variant_name }}{% if not loop.last%}, {% endif %} {% endfor %}
{% endif %}
{% endif %} {% endfor %}

{% if shipment.comments %}

{{ __("comments") }}: {{ shipment.comments }} {% endif %}