Option when importing csv files

If a field is currently not present at the import stage then then field is set to null - or zero - or empty.

This is not a problem when adding new products. But when updating a product that is already there it is.

I should like to have the option for products which already exsist to ignore a field if it does not exist but leave the current field contents as they are.

Then I could have very basic csv files with just a few fields on that I could use to update things like prices and stock levels. With the rest of the fields being irrelevent.

I am all for this one - perhaps with something on the lines of:

"If product_code exist

then “overwrite”

This is OK if you use the same database file each time - could be a problem if someone inadvertently added a product with the same code - but that wouldn’t happen too often methinks.

[quote name=‘Page’]If a field is currently not present at the import stage then then field is set to null - or zero - or empty.

This is not a problem when adding new products. But when updating a product that is already there it is.

I should like to have the option for products which already exsist to ignore a field if it does not exist but leave the current field contents as they are.

Then I could have very basic csv files with just a few fields on that I could use to update things like prices and stock levels. With the rest of the fields being irrelevent.[/QUOTE]

If I am understanding you correctly, I think this already exists. I just retested in 1.3.5 and everything seems to work okay. Only columns included in the CSV file will be changed.

In my test. I downloaded the full product table. I removed all the columns except Product code, price and quantity and the imported this file. Only price and quanity fields were changed on the products with all other fields left as they were prior to import.

Bob

I was working on 1.3.4 sp3.

(Just added it to signature - after reading another post about this.)

I will check it again to make sure that what I observed is correct.