Newsletter Subscription logic

I offer my customers the link to subscribe to our newsletter on the checkout page.

Every customer who places an order sees this option.

One thing has become increasingly annoying:

Returning customers, who already have accounts and are already opted into the newsletter (confirmed), must confirm again after every order.

I don’t understand why the logic for the profile update on checkout doesn’t first look up the subscription status and then skip the subscription update IF the email address is already confirmed.

Several long time customers end up being un-confirmed from the newsletter because of this.

Really, the logic should only update the subscription status IF it changes. CS-Cart doesn’t really have a form dedicated to JUST the newsletter subscriptions for customers, it’s bundled in with the profile update, but this could still be improved.

Does this bother anyone else? or has anyone else fixed this? v3.0.4 pro

You should submit this as a bug in the bugtracker.

I almost did. I figured I'd ask around the forum first.

I really wish CS-Cart put more attention into the Newsletter scripts. Opting in and out should be a separate form for the customer.

And frankly, in the back end, an admin should be able to select Products that are dynamically included in the body of the newsletters via templates - it is a store after all.

[quote name='Magpie Don' timestamp='1353021963' post='149302']

I almost did. I figured I'd ask around the forum first.

I really wish CS-Cart put more attention into the Newsletter scripts. Opting in and out should be a separate form for the customer.

And frankly, in the back end, an admin should be able to select Products that are dynamically included in the body of the newsletters via templates - it is a store after all.

[/quote]

I agree. I have been wanting a solution where I could select (search and add) products to our newsletter to show new products or products on sale. It is pretty time consuming to do this maually, as there is a lot of data to be added. Add picture in correct size, url on picture, product name, url on product name, price etc. A big risc also that there i a mistake in a url that we dont catch…

I have converted to Mailchimp and disabled the cs-cart newsletter features. This dont solve the isse you are mentioning. But I might add this addonagain to collect subscribers and transfer them manually to mailchimp. So then it would not opt-out users the second time.

Mailchimp also has a RSS possibility that might work. It could at least show “last 10 products” etc… But I have not got this to work properly yet…