Newbie SEO, Content, Links info

I have been an IT person, computer repair, network setup etc, but websites and shopping carts are new ground for me. I have been delving into the wonderful world of SEO. :slight_smile:

So after reading many posts and entries on the Forums it seems that there are various viewpoints on Meta Tags, Keywords etc, both here and from Google, but what many of you agree on are Ć¢ā‚¬ĖœPage RankĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢ & Ć¢ā‚¬ĖœOnsite OptimisationĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢, associated with Content and Links, which I see as two major areas!

• Content

So to clarify (for me) content is precisely that, valid, associated content.
  • In product listings, about me pages, Site News, Blogs (I have wordpress software joined to the site starting soon).
  • Generally any kind of updates, feedback, information, education about your products/services

• Links

To other sites, reviews, information. (via pages or Banners)
  • Links back to my site from promotional listings & businesses, friends.
  • My own internal sitelinks (automated)
  • I assume you would also add links in product listing information, in my case EG Wikipedia links to Gemstone info.
  • Links to showcase my customer designs, creativity (with their permission, via pages or Banners)

Q: Are there other areas/sections I should look into or add-ons for CS Cart?

Q: Is there an EXTERNAL LINK section as an add-on or MOD for CD Cart? Or could I simply make a new design Ć¢ā‚¬ĖœBlockĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢ with links to ā€˜pagesā€™ promoting, informing the customer which lead to external links?

Q: Have I missed anything here, any glaringly obvious issues?

• I have tweaked and setup robots.txt, sitemnap.XML etc.
  • My Google Pank Rank is Zero
  • Googlebot (view web page) shows 404 errors on all my images (working on that) [url]http://bit.ly/9yJwwv[/url]

Sorry for so many questions, I am also hoping to help other new CS Cart users who are doing what IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢m doing by making things as clear as possible.

IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢m not trying to get instant top 10 Google rank or reach millions of daily visitors, I just want to let the site build and grow as I do, making sure I have good habits and options in place now.

As always, thanks for any and all feedback :slight_smile:

remove /images/ from robots.txt

[quote name=ā€˜JesseLeeStringerā€™]remove /images/ from robots.txt[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:

I removed ā€œDisallow: /imagesā€ a few hours ago.

It was originally in there.

Is that what you meant?

This is my Robots text;

User-agent: *

Disallow: /addons/

Disallow: /cgi-bin/

Disallow: /controllers/

Disallow: /core/

Disallow: /js/

Disallow: /lib/

Disallow: /payments/

Disallow: /schemas/

Disallow: /shippings/

Disallow: /skins/

Disallow: /var/

Disallow: /admin.php

Disallow: /config.php

Disallow: /config.local.php

Disallow: /init.php

Disallow: /prepare.php

Disallow: /store_closed.html

Disallow: /?currency=

Disallow: /index.php?dispatch=

Sitemap: [url]http://www.gemnetwork.com.au/sitemap.xml[/url]

Iā€™m still getting a 404 code on any image when viewed through Googlebot.

I have removed disallow / images

Is there something here I havenā€™t understood?

Strange Iā€™m still getting the 404 errors?

Can anyone help?

Well, thanks anyway.

Iā€™m sure I can work it out myself in time.

Hi,

the disallow should looks like this:

Disallow: /images/ #with the ā€˜slashā€™ at the end

The 404 on all images means the Googlebot has crawled the images but it seems they didnā€™t have right paths. It will take a while until Google will remove it from the search results.

Regarding your page rank, this take ~6 months to get any rank, if any.

Thanks very much Indy :slight_smile:

I will adjust the robot.txt file.

Yes page rank will take a while, but getting into good habits early Iā€™m sure will help :slight_smile: