New Product Template - Not Theme

I am trying to create a new product template. I understand how to create a new product template but I can't figure out how to make the changes I want. I am using V3.0.6 (also playing with V4) both seem to have very similar structures in this respect. I have poked around a lot and can't find any added info on how to effectively change the template. The template I need is very specific to products so I am not looking for a theme change.

What I would like to do is pull the product options out of there current container and place them in their own container that would be above the product details/description. I also want that container to be full width or the same width as main content width.

Why?? I want to add lots of option variant images. If I do this in the current template it gets very long and skinny and looks terrible.

I prefer to do this in V3 as I am not ready for V4 but if it easier in V4 I can accept that as I need to get there eventually.

Please see the the attached image.

This looks like it might be more than just a template edit to me and I can't get it figured out.

Thanks

Ken

new-product-template.jpg

Take the existing template and copy it to the overrides folder in your my_changes add-on and edit away.

I am trying to create a new product template. I understand how to create a new product template but I can't figure out how to make the changes I want. I am using V3.0.6 (also playing with V4) both seem to have very similar structures in this respect. I have poked around a lot and can't find any added info on how to effectively change the template. The template I need is very specific to products so I am not looking for a theme change.

What I would like to do is pull the product options out of there current container and place them in their own container that would be above the product details/description. I also want that container to be full width or the same width as main content width.

Why?? I want to add lots of option variant images. If I do this in the current template it gets very long and skinny and looks terrible.

I prefer to do this in V3 as I am not ready for V4 but if it easier in V4 I can accept that as I need to get there eventually.

Please see the the attached image.

This looks like it might be more than just a template edit to me and I can't get it figured out.

Thanks

Ken

The main issue in your solution is that the block with product options will be out of the form. It will cause problems since necessary data will not be posted. Please pay attention to it

Take the existing template and copy it to the overrides folder in your my_changes add-on and edit away.

This is not necessary. All you need to do is copy, paste, rename edit the template in the v3 skins/basic/customer/blocks/product_templates and the new template will be selectable in admin. Not sure of the V4 location but it likely works similarly.

Now, since the structure seems convoluted it will likely require other changes to make it work.

The main issue in your solution is that the block with product options will be out of the form. It will cause problems since necessary data will not be posted. Please pay attention to it

Not trying to pull it out of the block. I just want it in its own div so the width can be controlled independent of the other items. The way the product template is structured seems like an afterthought on the part of CSC. This is probably why nobody offers any products templates. It seems ridiculous to only offer 2 product templates for the masses. Not everyone fits into the same box. I have questioned my decision to use CSC many times...... Anyhow, I digress. Thanks for the input.