New addon "Quick search" is available for testing

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]Am I get error 404 when i click the link below this text

“In order to generate a full search phrases catalog, open this link:”

John[/QUOTE]

Please, post the link you received.

[url]http://www.elitesportswear.co.uk/admin2606.php?dispatch=quick_search.generate_catalog[/url]

This is in the edit page of the quick search add on, but I just get error 404 when I click it.

Thanks

John

[quote name=‘johnbol1’][url]http://www.elitesportswear.co.uk/admin2606.php?dispatch=quick_search.generate_catalog[/url]

This is in the edit page of the quick search add on, but I just get error 404 when I click it.

[/QUOTE]

Hm, the link looks correctly. Ok, for the test I’ll create a separate catalog generator in the nearest time.

Thank you

I have to comment that alexions have been great in actively participating in this thread.

By collecting users feedback, and providing clarifications and seeking for suggestions and willing to incorporate users feedback in a beneficial way, it will, in my opinion, make the addon only better and more stable in the future when officially launched with cscart releases! And thus reduce number of bugs/feature request/complaints needed to be reported via the bug tracker.

Kudos to alexions! ^^

I hope to see more of this mode of collaborating from cscart developers in time to come! ^^ :grin:

[quote name=‘alexions’]Hm, the link looks correctly. Ok, for the test I’ll create a separate catalog generator in the nearest time.

[/QUOTE]

Please, download this script and put it to your root directory. Open through the browser. Reload the page and try to find any product

[url]http://alexions.dev.cs-cart.com/download/generator.tgz[/url]

[quote name=‘nodame’]

Kudos to alexions! ^^

I hope to see more of this mode of collaborating from cscart developers in time to come! ^^ :grin:[/QUOTE]

:oops: Thanks!

Hi Alexions,

I followed your instructions as well as the generator above, I experienced the following issue when attempting to select the first entry, other entries behave as expected.

I must admin the speed of this addon makes the results appear extremely quick.

Error: unterminated string literal
Source File: javascript:alert('TODO: FIXME')
Line: 0, Column: 26
Source Code:
$('.cm-quick-search').val('Barn Light \
Error: unterminated string literal
Source File: http://www.barnlightelectric.com/
Line: 1, Column: 26
Source Code:
$('.cm-quick-search').val('Barn Light \

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Hi Alexions,

I followed your instructions as well as the generator above, I experienced the following issue when attempting to select the first entry, other entries behave as expected.

[/QUOTE]

Hi JesseLeeStringer,

Thanks for the help. This issue was fixed. I changed a bit the JS functionality (It was because of the quotes in the product name).

Hi Alexions,

doesnt work for me. I inserted the generator.php browsed to it it generated and gave message “done”.

I cleared cache of site and browser made sure quick search was active, but still no search drop down in FF.

Thanks

JOhn

[quote name=‘alexions’]Hi JesseLeeStringer,

Thanks for the help. This issue was fixed. I changed a bit the JS functionality (It was because of the quotes in the product name).

New download link:

[url]http://alexions.dev.cs-cart.com/download/quick_search_1.3.tgz[/url][/QUOTE]

This version works for me in FF and IE on our hosted site running Linux. Still having some trouble with my test site running Windows on localhost, but I am not too concerned with that. The 1.3 install and search generation worked flawlessly.

I have to say, this is a very, very nice addon, thank you Alexions. It’s very “google like” and fast. The ability to use the arrow keys as well as clicking on the search to select is a great addition.

I will continue to test but I like what I see so far!

alexions-

Thanks for adding the partial-word matches. This is a really nice addon!

Bob

Hi Alexions,

Extremely functional addon, obviously the speed makes a huge difference on the results displayed. The quotations no longer cause any issues

With regards to “generator.php”; does this bypass the generation of the “HTML Catalog” or does it build it’s own cache?

Kind Regards,

Jesse-Lee Stringer.

For those who would like to see it in action: http://www.barnlightelectric.com

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]For those who would like to see it in action: http://www.barnlightelectric.com[/QUOTE]

It seems a little buggy to me. If I type (without the quotes) “galvanize” into your search box it gives me a list of items that have galvanized in their name, but as soon as I add the “d” onto the end of the word it no longer shows the galvanized products and instead lists a completely different list of results in the drop down. Does the same thing with “aluminu” vs “aluminum”.

[quote name=‘adodric’]It seems a little buggy to me. If I type (without the quotes) “galvanize” into your search box it gives me a list of items that have galvanized in their name, but as soon as I add the “d” onto the end of the word it no longer shows the galvanized products and instead lists a completely different list of results in the drop down. Does the same thing with “aluminu” vs “aluminum”.[/quote]

Depends how you see it, all products that was shown in the list can be purchase as galvanized :slight_smile: I believe the reason why the other product showed when the search term was not complete as it was a partial match to the title?

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Depends how you see it, all products that was shown in the list can be purchase as galvanized :slight_smile: I believe the reason why the other product showed when the search term was not complete as it was a partial match to the title?[/QUOTE]

Just strange that they are all completely gone off the list when you complete the entire word.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]

With regards to “generator.php”; does this bypass the generation of the “HTML Catalog” or does it build it’s own cache?

[/QUOTE]

The generator functionality is a part of the addon code. You should just click the “Generate catalog” link from the addon settings page. Then, when you are updating your products, the new information will also be added to search catalog.

[quote name=‘adodric’]It seems a little buggy to me. If I type (without the quotes) “galvanize” into your search box it gives me a list of items that have galvanized in their name, but as soon as I add the “d” onto the end of the word it no longer shows the galvanized products and instead lists a completely different list of results in the drop down. Does the same thing with “aluminu” vs “aluminum”.[/QUOTE]

Usually a product title does not contain so much information. There is much more information in the description (short, full), meta description, etc. Mostly due to this when you type “alu”, the search will be performed only by product titles, but when you type the whole word “aluminium”, you may get quite different results that will turn to be more accurate and precise. And if you put one more word, you will find exactly what you want (although the title has absolutely no words you inputed).

As an example let’s look at this situation:

I want to find a toy that can make the “Loop”

You sell helicopters (toys ). Almost all of your products have a “helicopter” word in their titles (like “Helicopter M45, electric, plastic body”). So, when I type “helico” I will see the list:

Helicopter M45, electric, plastic body

Helicopter M45-1, electric, metal body

But, you also have a new product “McDonnell Douglas AH-64 Apache”, that has a description like this “This new helicopter is a fantastic model. This model can easily perform almost everything from the aerobatics. Even the Loop! This is a pro model…”

And now my search phrase looks like “helicopter loop”. The list of the results will show me the “McDonnell Douglas AH-64 Apache”, which did not contain any of the search words I entered, but, I found exactly what I was searching for.

With best wishes!

Any chance of getting this to work with Pages and News as well? When I check those boxes in Settings the Quick Search returns no results. Also there are some CSS issues in IE7 when results are returned. The results extend beyond the screen to the right.

Administrations → Settings → Search Options section

Search also in: tick here and here :wink:

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]Any chance of getting this to work with Pages and News as well? When I check those boxes in Settings the Quick Search returns no results. [/QUOTE]

At the moment the quick search shows only products. But I provided for searching for other objects in the core of the addon. So, if you need, this functionality can be added.

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]Also there are some CSS issues in IE7 when results are returned. The results extend beyond the screen to the right.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I’ve fixed this issue.

The download link was updated in my first message.

Allowing users to search for more than just products can be added, can this be done by us or you would have to extend this addon to include this functionality? I would be interested in this.

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]Allowing users to search for more than just products can be added, can this be done by us or you would have to extend this addon to include this functionality? I would be interested in this.[/QUOTE]

I will do this modification if someone else also needs this. It’s not so difficult.

Thanks.