need VPS GURU to take a lok at first time byte i

hi you all i hav bin twiking my site a bit and got a okay load time repeat wiew under 2 sec.

but i am having some truble with first time byte i disabled some stuf that i forgot i enabled and now it is down to 1.624 ([url=“WebPageTest Test - Running web page performance and optimization tests...”]http://www.webpagetest.org/result/121021_16_5JH/[/url])

but can it get better? so if there are any VPS gurus out there pleas give me some advise about what i sould be looking at :o)

Best Regards

Jaochim Dahl

I’m going to bump this to the top. My 3.04 scored an “F” for first time byte. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think is there a solution… i am searching for the answer since 1 year and didn't find any satisfied answer. First time byte is related to server speed.

From a quick look at your graph, most of your time is spent fetching css and js files. I'm guessing you have a lot of js scripts that are going off-site for data. All of these are probably going to different sites which are separate lookups and connections. It appears that you may be using some kind of optimizer given the names of the css files being retrieved. I would further guess that your optimization isn't.

Get rid of all the off-site js loads (or at least have them be fetched AFTER the page loads by using “$.document.ready()” type syntax around them.

Where are you seeing the off-site JS?

Just assuming based on the names in your graphs. They are names that look more like calculated names versus cs-cart names. So if you're using an optimizer, the first thing I would do is get rid of it and see if that improves your numbers. At least you would be getting numbers from the cart and not from the optimizer.

When I've had this in the past it's been memory allocation too low.

On a VPS look at the php.ini and make sure your editing the right one but could be you are just using a mean server.

My rule is: if your websites “feels” quick on a non-cached browser, don't worry about it. What is important is how your customers are experiencing the website, not how these measureing tools are.

Many times, the higher the TTFB the faster the website. For example, turning on gzip will increase TTFB but will make your website load much faster.

Another related example to user vs tool: I like using hardly compress images (I use JPG 90 and sometimes even PNG when an image contains important text) on my sites simply because it looks much better. The site still loads fine for me on my non-cached browser and I never had a complaint about speed. Still, all these tools tell me I should compress my images more.