Need Help With Php Settings

I decided to purchase a prolongation and upgrade from v4.3.4 to most current.

Now, when I click install then click "Check PHP script time out" I get a message not recommending the upgrade because of incorrect script time out or fastcgi settings.

My first question:

I had asked cscart team and they said to increase the Master values of the following PHP settings on the server to the greatest possible:

mysql.connect_timeout
default_socket_timeout

I can change these. What should I set these to? or where do I find out what the max setting is? I am using php version 5.6

My second question:

Cscart also said,

Note that if PHP runs in the CGI/FastCGI mode on your server (as in your case), there should be separate settings for timeout limits that the server administrator can increase.

For example, if the mod_fcgid is used on the server, we can offer to increase the following parameters:

FcgidBusyTimeout
FcgidConnectTimeout
FcgidIdleTimeout
FcgidIOTimeout
FcgidProcessLifeTime

I do not see a mod_fcgid php extension on my server. Should I ignore this part or can I set these with my php.ini file or something else ?

My last question:

Cscart said:

Also ask the administrator to increase the wait_timeout and max_allowed_packet MySQL settings values. If it does not help we can offer performing upgrade by ourselves. Such a request is estimated at 50 support credits. Let us know if you agree.

This got expensive, but it still doesn't solve any future upgrades that I will have to make. I would still have the same issues come next upgrade. So, how do I change these settings. If I go to my phpMyAdmin (where my databases are) I can see these 2 items under my variables and the wait_timeout is set to 60 and the max_allowed_packet is set at 268,435,456. Are these settings good or should I change them? How would I change them?

I don't remember having these issues until I changed my hosting to cPanel a couple years back.

Thanks for any help.

Jim.

they didn't give you recommendations when suggesting you make changes?

Generally, setting a value to zero will mean "maximum" in php settings. But this isn't true in all cases, so be careful. The system php.ini file is rich in comments related to PHP settings.

I didn't see where you mentioned Apache Timeout setting. The default Apache value is 300 but some host set this down as low as 60. I would recommend 300-600 for the Apache Timeout value.

If you're a shared hosting, good luck. If you're a VPS, your hosting should be able to help you with the specifics of your hosting environment.

I do also get "Check PHP script time out" but actually never had upgrade incomplete.. Setting user.ini with

max_execution_time = 3600
memory_limit = 1024M

was always enough for smooth upgrade. Can it be that this message appear not because actuall timout but that script cannot control modify timeout settings..

I decided to purchase a prolongation and upgrade from v4.3.4 to most current.

Now, when I click install then click "Check PHP script time out" I get a message not recommending the upgrade because of incorrect script time out or fastcgi settings.

In my experience, it is usually the Apache "Timeout" value that has been lowered by the hosting from it's default of 300 that causes the most problem. This setting basically says "kill the child process (php in this case) if there's nothing output from the child process for [Timeout] seconds". The little activity indicator you see is in the browser and doesn't come from the server. So if a host has lowered this to say 60 then the test will fail while the upgrade may or may not fail depending on how long it takes to run. But I think the test assumes 300 for a Timeout (5 minutes).

Can I manually upgrade the store?

I see the new package is located here /var/upgrade/packages/core/content/package

Not sure what you mean by "manually". Not knowing your skills, I would suggest you use one of the two approved methods. Either Upgrade or create a new store and then store_import.. Note that you will probably experience problems during the backup phase. There are many threads about how to get around that. After you reach 4.3.6, you should be fine.