Mini-cart

Dear friends,

Due to a great number of complaints to the fact that we’ve removed the mini-cart when redesigned the checkout, we decided to return it. But, as far as the conception of the checkout does not allow to narrow it and add a new block on one side at the moment, we can offer the following solution:

1. Put a big button to the top left corner to access the mini-cart:

[attach]2381[/attach]

2. Add a new setting that will allow to stick this button to the top of the browser if the page is scrolled. The setting will allow:

a) to do at any page;

b) to do it only at the checkout page;

c) not to do it at all

[attach]2383[/attach]

3. Add the ability of editing to the mini-cart window: removing, changing the quantity of products, changing product options.

[attach]2382[/attach]

[attach]2384[/attach]

Please express your opinion on this matter, let us know if this solution suits you and, if not, please tell us why and your suggestions on it.

Thank you for your active stand!

mini-cart_01.png

mini-cart_02.png

mini-cart_03.png

minicart04.png

1. Put a big button to the top right corner to access the mini-cart:

Don’t see a big button on the right. I do see a cart button on the left.

My opinion is that it would be best to have the mini-cart always displayed and available to the user at any time Having it require a scroller for vertical is completely inappropriate considering the page is already long enough to handle the data.

Need to be able to enter gift certificate and/or coupon codes and update quantity and options and have all that reflect in a clearly shown total price, just like the old one did.

You’re forcing this page to display differently than all others as it relates to columns and the data does not require this much width. Hence there was (and is) room for a right column where the mini-cart block could be displayed and where it would have a form relevance to the checkout form. But it can just as easily be added as a preliminary section that is always available for viewing/update.

Given the options provided, my real preference would be a collapsible section (like just before checkout step 1) that would be the current cart content. You could use the same editing paradigm as is used for all the other sections. It would start out in the collapsed state (display=none) with an ‘edit’ link. Clicking the edit link would ‘display’ the cart content and the other appropriate things like options, coupons, etc. showing the summary of the cart and allowing the user to modify it at any time.

No need to add buttons and things that end up looking like a tab but are only a small pop-up window that does not contain the full data without scrolling.

Update: The current total price should be shown in the header of the collapsed Cart section so the customer always knows what they will be paying. The sticky part will be how to include shipping charges, but I think you already address that via the default location until after a shipping method has been selected and an shipping address entered. This gives customers a warmer feeling when entering the checkout stage.

Better than nothing at all and/or having to figure out how to get back to the cart to make changes.

iMac,

Is it possible to create a ‘new’ div element that is duplicated as ‘0’ (Cart) ‘1’ (Address) ‘2’ (Shipping) ‘4’ (Payment). This way you can assign the cart area to be static while allowing the rest of the page to follow through the step(s).

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]iMac,

Is it possible to create a ‘new’ div element that is duplicated as ‘0’ (Cart) ‘1’ (Address) ‘2’ (Shipping) ‘4’ (Payment). This way you can assign the cart area to be static while allowing the rest of the page to follow through the step(s).[/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s what I was trying to say above. Hopefully with 2 inputs suggesting the same it will be considered.

[QUOTE]Is it possible to create a ‘new’ div element that is duplicated as ‘0’ (Cart) ‘1’ (Address) ‘2’ (Shipping) ‘4’ (Payment). This way you can assign the cart area to be static while allowing the rest of the page to follow through the step(s).[/QUOTE]

If I am following this correctly, then the cart contents would be fully viewable at all times (& expanded) in a new div panel identical in size to the Address and other div panels on the page, so it should no longer be considered as a “Mini-Cart”, but a much more visable means of viewing the actual cart contents.

If so, then I also like this idea!

(Although I will need a pretty image rendition to be certain!) :smiley:

Jesse and Tony, I think what yall are missing here is that one or more of CS’s customers (obviously with a tremendous amount of clout) does not want the cart in checkout at all.

This new attempt is how CS is trying to please both sides.

[quote name=‘Struck’]If I am following this correctly, then the cart contents would be fully viewable at all times (& expanded) in a new div panel identical in size to the Address and other div panels on the page, so it should no longer be considered as a “Mini-Cart”, but a much more visable means of viewing the actual cart contents.

If so, then I also like this idea!

(Although I will need a pretty image rendition to be certain!) :D[/QUOTE]

As an added note, I do not believe that the cart should scroll down the page as I believe this would be redundant & annoying, as long as the cart contents were expanded that shoud be more than sufficient. :wink:

Is it possible to create a ‘new’ div element that is duplicated as ‘0’ (Cart) ‘1’ (Address) ‘2’ (Shipping) ‘4’ (Payment). This way you can assign the cart area to be static while allowing the rest of the page to follow through the step(s).[/QUOTE]

Sounds right to me

John

Yes, this makes the most sense to me too. Having it static on the page without a doubt is what I am used to when I pay for something.

Maybe it the mini shopping cart should be an “option” to display as one of the following:

1. Static as Jesse described.
  2. Collapsed format on top or side.
  3. Do not display shopping cart at checkout.

This way CS can keep the individual(s) who did not want to show the cart at checkout happy too.

I have customers go to the cart first and then the one page checkout. It seems like I have to do this due to using Amazon Checkout, and PayPal Express. And, I like the one place to put in coupons and check shipping costs. This is one place the customer can check and make corrections. I don’t think I want the mini cart showing all the time on the rest of the one page checkout. Maybe have the last step for a final check and have the cart here with the ability to make corrections and changes.

For those who use Amazon and PayPal Express, there is no mini cart. Once they decide to purchase, they go to PayPal or Amazon and either complete or cancel.

What ever is decided, there should be options to choose from. Was a bad idea to take the mini-cart totally away in the first place, but would be equally bad to force it back on to those who may not want it. As per Clips, there should be choices.

Bob

Wow they’re going to do it. I can finally upgrade this next version.

I agree this should be made part of the checkout steps 100% Here is what I suggest and have seen used very successfully. Much like what has been mentioned above.

Step 1 should be the shopping cart which would be collapsible. The customer will be able to change quantity, add to wishlist, coupon code entry and shipping info all within this first step. The shipping within could be tab based for Us delivery/International delivery with shipping options. When going to step 2 this cart step will collapse except for the a quick cart view that shows only what is in the cart, the subtotal and an edit link that when clicked would open the cart and shipping info.

Step 2 would contain your shipping information. It would be cool if you could split this up into tabs such as, Regular, USPS PO Box, Rural, Military, International but this is another day.

Step 3 Billing info. Same as Shipping or NO

Step 4 Payment Information.

No need for Reveiw and Placed Order because you can see this review info in the first step that is partially open showing your product and subtotal. If you should want to edit step 1, then you click the edit link which will open the entire cart and shipping choices.

All you need is four steps. Login/Register should be kept at the top of the page as a link should you want to register or login…otherwise you can checkout without register or asking to be registered. The login/register should be kept completely separate from the steps.

Simple as that…4 steps always with your cart contents in view. Step one should wholeheartedly be the cart. I can provide a link to Cs-cart developers with an example of this very process in action. However, it’s mildly adult oriented and everyone knows how adult oriented stuff goes with this forum.:stuck_out_tongue:

Stu

I’m suggesting the Cart (0) as a ‘Block’ level element, something that can be added/removed by the administrator.

In essence it will remove the ‘dropdown’ cart at the top-left in iMac’s attachements. In theory, the cart will have the ability to expand, however as soon as the customer clicks to enter customer data the cart will ‘collapse’.

The preserves the functionality on the homepage while enabling the checkout process. Not perfect but the best of both worlds. I honestly like the current checkout procedure however the clients I manage have many product options that customers love to change at the last minute.

I think this solution brings the best of both worlds together.

[quote name=‘derbytown502’]

Step 1 should be the shopping cart which would be collapsible. The customer will be able to change quantity, add to wishlist, coupon code entry and shipping info all within this first step. The shipping within could be tab based for Us delivery/International delivery with shipping options. When going to step 2 this cart step will collapse except for the a quick cart view that shows only what is in the cart, the subtotal and an edit link that when clicked would open the cart and shipping info. [/QUOTE]

YES.

Here is an example of a simpler one page checkout, but this is an example of having the cart contents appear first… “Review your order”… before all the other steps:

[url]https://www.bulkherbstore.com/ord/checkout[/url]

Guys & Gals, this is not about a complete re-design of the one-page checkout, we just did that! :wink:

This thread is only about making what has been requested by some as a somewhat minor, though more important to some, improvement (as in adding back a cart display box).

I am one of several that has had very good success with the new one-page checkout design & am fully satisfied with the usability & simplicity it offerers. We use a modified version of the Basic Skin, so we have always had the mini-cart displayed in the top left as Imac shows in the example images and also redirect users to the Cart first, these are certainly the reasons I was not concerned with the removal of the mini-cart from the sidebox.

My overall feelings now are that if a more prominent display of the cart contents could be displayed (such as how Jesse and tbirnseth describe above), then it could only be of benefit, so why not make the tweak. This would only make the current one-page checkout even better than it already is! :wink:

Same as Struck. I am happy the way it is now.

Customer clicks checkout → Sees cart and can edit → fills in details and pays.

The way I see it, if you keep putting the cart in front of his/her nose the customer will only start having doubts and might click away from the shop.

[quote name=‘Flow’]Same as Struck. I am happy the way it is now.

The way I see it, if you keep putting the cart in front of his/her nose the customer will only start having doubts and might click away from the shop.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this as well, however as long as it can be turned off go for it.

[quote name=‘Flow’]Same as Struck. I am happy the way it is now.

The way I see it, if you keep putting the cart in front of his/her nose the customer will only start having doubts and might click away from the shop.[/QUOTE]

When I do not see what I am paying for on a site I usually abandon that site. I like to see what I am buying one last time when I am putting in my cc info. My guess is there are many others who feel the same.

A good example of why I want this was just recently I was going to buy some gloves from a site. I added the items, and went to a page that ask for my address, cc, etc. as it was a “one page checkout” that did not show the products and price breakdown but it did show my total, which at that point seemed to have changed. When I clicked back to see the cart again they were adding for a “minimum order” and also for something they said was meant to “keep their prices low”. Needless to say I did not complete the order but I question every site I purchase from that “appears” to be hiding information. They may not be hiding anything, but I am very cautious.

Personally I do not want customers to worry when they purchase from us. I believe it is best to show everything they are paying for right at the point they are putting in their cc information.

My configuration is that the customer goes to the cart first. They can review and make what ever changes they want. Then they go to one page checkout. If paying by cc. they first go to Step 4 to review the cart and final cost and then click place order and go to the cresecure credit card page and enters credit card information. If at the previous step, 4, they want to make changes at this point, I have a link back to the cart. I don’t really need a persistent mini-cart.

Also, at least 25-30% of sales is via PayPal Std, express or Amazon and they would never see a mini-cart anyway.

I would just like to see the possibility of last minute changes in step 4 (review and place order).

Too many chances to bail out could cause abandon carts. If you keep asking, “Do You really want to buy this?”, “Are you Positive? " Is this your final answer”, then the sale could be lost.

Bob