Meta tag description needs to be longer

I would like to be able to put more keywords in a meta tag. It only allows 255 characters right now and i would like to see it be able to hold alot more characters

The table holding that data has a type of VARCHAR 255 and that is the maximum size for that type. You would have to change that type to TEXT in order to have it store more characters.

I don’t know if this will create an adverse effect elsewhere so try this on a test install.

[quote name=‘S-Combs’]The table holding that data has a type of VARCHAR 255 and that is the maximum size for that type. You would have to change that type to TEXT in order to have it store more characters.

I don’t know if this will create an adverse effect elsewhere so try this on a test install.[/QUOTE]

okay hold on, might need to explain that a little more ha.

waht ill do is export a product, enter a paragraph of more then 255 characters into the column in excel and when i import it back in it just uses 255 characters.

so kinda explain that a little more on how to do that cause im not understanding at all

Goofle doesnt really like more than 150-160 characters in meta description.

It is only really used now to describe to customers so should be descriptive as they will only see 150-160 anyways

JOhn

The database table that retains the meta information will only hold 255 characters because it was created as a VARCHAR 255 type and 255 is the maximum ammount for that type of table.

In order to exceed 255 you would need to change the table type to TEXT which doesn’t have that limitation.

This can be done using phpmyadmin as in the images below

Navigate to the table structure you wish to change

Click on the change icon for that field and then you will have the option change its type from VARCHAR to TEXT

The TEXT type can hold up to 64,000 characters

Why in the world are you trying to import more than 255 characters into the Meta “Keywords” tag?

This will most likely have nothing more than a negative effect in your search engine rankings and be considering as keyword spamming, you would be better off leaving the keywords metatag completely blank. This isn’t 1985 anymore, what are you thinking! :smiley:

don’t add too much meta description text, google penalize you, just like to me.

150-160 characters recomended for google. After 160 everything else is ignored

[quote name=‘miracles’]don’t add too much meta description text, google penalize you, just like to me.[/QUOTE]

Google don’t penalise for anything, they would just take all the full words the find upto their limit like most other search engine.

[quote name=‘kickoff3pm’]Google don’t penalise for anything, they would just take all the full words the find upto their limit like most other search engine.[/QUOTE]

True, they wont penalise, they just ignore the text.