Matching billing and shipping address

I had one of my customers complain about the fact that he is getting fraudolent orders due to the fact that the website is not matching the billing address with the shipping address.

He claims he called his payment gateway and they told him that the problem is in the shopping cart.

Is that really something I have to enable in cs-cart to have matching billing and shipping addresses? if so where??

I was reading in other posts about Authorize.net and the fact you can enable certain settings to make sure the billing address matches…but that there were certain restrictions that were preventing the cart to succesfully process orders…

can someone help me understand this better?

Pm me for the solution.

Just tell me your version

Fotis

I physically edited my checkout template so customers could not alter the shipping address… Authorize.net will only verify the billing address, so if you take the risk of shipping to a different address, you are increasing your risk of fraud.

[quote name='racingsolution' timestamp='1335446748' post='135450']

I physically edited my checkout template so customers could not alter the shipping address… Authorize.net will only verify the billing address, so if you take the risk of shipping to a different address, you are increasing your risk of fraud.

[/quote]

So basically billing and shipping can only be the same based on your mod?

Just to add my 2 cents to this one.

If you ship UPS or Fedex, but require the shipping and billing addresses to be the same, you can potentially lose customers.

For example, my situation. We don't have mail delivery in my town. Because of this, we all have PO Boxes. Since Fedex and UPS don't ship to PO Boxes, if I went to your store, what would I do?

Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of screwed anyways. I also can't order from Best Buy. They verify all of their addresses through USPS and since we don't have delivery, my house doesn't exist. Since my house doesn't exist, Best Buy refuses to ship to me. I had a similar problem with my Xbox too.

I'm not saying that I have a solution, but I figured I'd let you know that limiting the addresses can potentially cause problems.

Thanks,

Brandon

We've lost some money in the past few months on this. The credit card company said that since we did not ship to the “billing” address that there was nothing we could do. Then, in Feb of this year we lost money on an order that we DID ship to the billing address. The credit card company (American Express) said that it didn't make any difference and we lost $100. So it really doesn't make any difference if you ship to the billing address or not.

One change that we did make is we will not ship next day or second day air packages to any place other than the billing address. It seemed that those who were using a stolen credit card were trying to get the product fast before something was figured out. Now if someone wants a drop ship on an air package we tell them we cannot do it and they have to go ground. We then usually tell them the order is subject to review and we hold the order for 3 days. So far, we have not been burned by the bogus air shipments for quite a while. We did have a few back during Christmas 2011, but we emailed the customer, etc. and never heard back from them. So we did not ship them. Then we got a charge back and sure enough, it was fraud.

50% of the orders we sent to addresses other than the billing address turned out to be fraud… It's definitely a personal decision

Hey dvsgr ,

Thanks for helping people out. “Pm for a solution.” What a guy.