Manual Shipping - Weight dependencies

I have set my shipping charges manually to charge an absolute rate:

$5.99 for a weight of under 1 lb

$7.99 for a weight of under 2lbs

$9.99 for a weight of under 3 lbs

Each item weighs .22 lbs.

When the users adds 10 items to the cart the total weight is 2.2 lbs. The shipping should be $9.99, but CSCart is charging $59.90.

It looks like it is figuring the shipping on each item individually ( 1 item is .22lb which is $5.99 shipping ) X 10 items = $59.90.

How do I get CS Cart to figure the shipping on the total weight in the cart, not on the individual weight of each item in the cart?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

You can’t. All of the shipping extras are on an item by item basis. I.e. amount, weight and quantiy are applied to each item versus the total of the cart. I have no idea of the logic for why that is. It would seem that all of those dependencies should be on the total of the order versus the individual items.

[quote name=‘webstyr’]I have set my shipping charges manually to charge an absolute rate:

$5.99 for a weight of under 1 lb

$7.99 for a weight of under 2lbs

$9.99 for a weight of under 3 lbs

Each item weighs .22 lbs.

When the users adds 10 items to the cart the total weight is 2.2 lbs. The shipping should be $9.99, but CSCart is charging $59.90.

It looks like it is figuring the shipping on each item individually ( 1 item is .22lb which is $5.99 shipping ) X 10 items = $59.90.

How do I get CS Cart to figure the shipping on the total weight in the cart, not on the individual weight of each item in the cart?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated![/QUOTE]

Can’t you setup your shipping using a realtime shipping rates method?

At least you would have a “Cart Based” calculation rather than an item based calculation as pointed out by Tbirnseth.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]You can’t. All of the shipping extras are on an item by item basis. I.e. amount, weight and quantiy are applied to each item versus the total of the cart. I have no idea of the logic for why that is. It would seem that all of those dependencies should be on the total of the order versus the individual items.[/QUOTE]

That is crazy. Who figures the shipping that way? CS-Cart should at least give you the option of doing per product or per cart. This makes it impossible to set up your own shipping costs.

Can you figure out a dollar amount per lb and use the manual method that way? I have a manual method set up per lb of item weight and it calculates based on the total weight in the cart.

OR

Use the Items Dependences option in the manual and use quantities of items up to charge the appropriate total. For example 1-4 items is the $5.99 charge, 5-9 items is the $7.99 charge and so on. Just be sure NOT to check the “Per Item” checkbox.

Just a thought…hope this helps…and I’m on 2.0.8 so if the above has changed in the manual shipping methods in your version, I hope it still gives some food for thought. :slight_smile: