Live site and developing a site in waiting then making it live

I have so far taken advantage of the ad hoc way in which CS-cart can be used which has been fine and ideal.

But I am now trying to think longer term.

What I should like to do is have my current live site ticking away nicely and be developing the next change and upgrade on a separate site. When I consider this is ready for release I then want to make it the live site.

It may seem daft but I cannot quite picture how I would go about this.

To make things simple lets assume that there are no cs-cart upgrades in the process. I can worry about that when I have got my head around the first part.

just upload all your new files overwriting the old ones, should work just fine if the “live” site and new site are using the same version…

page

install another copy of the cart software in a seperate folder on the host - call it say /new

Then work on the tpl files etc on that folder - you can view it live - no one will no about the link - can hide it from engines with noindex nofollow if needed - do all the upgrades/testing you want there - and then when you want to release the new changes - load all the tpl and php files/folder to the live folder of the cart.

This is what I have done - works like charm - the license it no issue cause on the same server.

good luck

Great - suddenly I can see the bigger and simple picture.

Is the nofollow stuff that you mention cs-cart specific or can i just go out looking on the web?

page

you are welcome - good luck

the nofollow stuff is seo stuff and can find it anywhere.

add this line into your meta.tpl file

This will prevent your test folder from getting indexed in the engines and having multiple entries etc.

You can also update your robots.txt file on the root if you have one to not allow access to the test folder

something like this:

User-agent: *

Disallow: /test

Neat.

(Another forum I use allows one to just do a thanks which appears under the thanked post but without a full post - it works really well and would be nice to have on this forum)

[quote name=‘Page’]Neat.

(Another forum I use allows one to just do a thanks which appears under the thanked post but without a full post - it works really well and would be nice to have on this forum)[/quote]

I’ll nag ETi for it

One thing to keep in mind is that you will also need a copy of your database if you are staging a new release from CS-Cart that includes changes to the DB. You can copy your existing DB for staging/testing purposes and then just make sure you get a fresh copy right before you switch over to the new code.

Bob