Keyword Research Tactics

Hello All,

[QUOTE]Keyword research should be the foundation of any search engine marketing campaign, but what is the best way to go about researching and defining your target key terms?[/QUOTE]

Answer:

[url]New Chart: Keyword Research Tactics Ranked by Efficiency | MarketingSherpa

(Open access until May 6th)

Lee Li Pop

Hi Lee

Apparently, Google don’t care much about your keywords and tags but will push you up in ranking for the rich content on your website, links from quality websites covering the same subjects - products, for articles in blogs and for being active in forums. How often you change the content and how old the domain is also matters. Am I right or talking nonsense once again?

[quote name=‘Noman’]Hi Lee

Apparently, Google don’t care much about your keywords and tags but will push you up in ranking for the rich content on your website, links from quality websites covering the same subjects - products, for articles in blogs and for being active in forums. How often you change the content and how old the domain is also matters. Am I right or talking nonsense once again?[/QUOTE]

That’s complete nonsense… I heard that meta tags and headers were the only two things that Google looks at. :rolleyes:

[quote name=‘JerryRider’]That’s complete nonsense… I heard that meta tags and headers were the only two things that Google looks at. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I read in the SEOGURU forums that google would not index any of our site pages until we were at PR5 :confused:

Can u tell me where to put keywords in cscart? I have gone to google webmaster and it can’t see my keywords I have setup in the site layout section of admin… I tried to put keywords in meta.tpl file and still google webmaster can’t find them… my website since upgrading to 2.0.14 has fallen from number one on google to #20

I need to fix this ASAP as it is costing us business. I have been posting to the forum over the last 2 days but no help…

Regards,

Alan

[quote name=‘ventman’]Can u tell me where to put keywords in cscart? I have gone to google webmaster and it can’t see my keywords I have setup in the site layout section of admin… I tried to put keywords in meta.tpl file and still google webmaster can’t find them… my website since upgrading to 2.0.14 has fallen from number one on google to #20…[/QUOTE]

Have you made any changes to /skins/YOURSKIN/customer/index.tpl? You might want to verify that the include to your meta.tpl is there:

```php {/strip}

[COLOR=“Red”]{include file=“meta.tpl”}[/COLOR]

{include file="common_templates/styles.tpl" include_dropdown=true}
{include file="common_templates/scripts.tpl"}
```

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Have you made any changes to /skins/YOURSKIN/customer/index.tpl? You might want to verify that the include to your meta.tpl is there:

```php {/strip}

[COLOR=“Red”]{include file=“meta.tpl”}[/COLOR]

{include file="common_templates/styles.tpl" include_dropdown=true}
{include file="common_templates/scripts.tpl"}
```

Bob[/QUOTE]

Yeah just checked that... all okay

Alan,

Your meta.tpl file should look like:

{* $Id: meta.tpl 8853 2010-02-16 08:44:03Z alexions $ *}

{hook name="index:meta"}

{/hook}

You aren’t supposed to put the keywords directly in here. All your keywords go in your admin => design => site layout => meta keywords

Also, be sure you didn’t create a file called:

skins/your-skin/customer/addons/my_changes/hooks/index/meta.override.tpl

If you did than you will be overwriting your meta.tpl file.

Besides that, do you have a link that we can check out? Maybe we can get a better feel for what is going on.

Brandon

@ JerryRider and Struck:

That’s a joke, isn’t?

[quote name=‘indy0077’]@ JerryRider and Struck:

That’s a joke, isn’t?[/quote]

Who knows… Who knows.

Clowns like that make life hard to live by.

The website I manage is PR4, means nothing to me otherwise.

[quote name=‘brandonvd’]Alan,

Your meta.tpl file should look like:

{* $Id: meta.tpl 8853 2010-02-16 08:44:03Z alexions $ *}

{hook name="index:meta"}

{/hook}

You aren’t supposed to put the keywords directly in here. All your keywords go in your admin => design => site layout => meta keywords

Also, be sure you didn’t create a file called:

skins/your-skin/customer/addons/my_changes/hooks/index/meta.override.tpl

If you did than you will be overwriting your meta.tpl file.

Besides that, do you have a link that we can check out? Maybe we can get a better feel for what is going on.

Brandon[/QUOTE]

Hi Brandon,

My meta.tpl is the same as you wrote… Also I have the keywords in site layout and also all catagories and products…

Have PM you.

Alan

[quote name=‘JerryRider’]That’s complete nonsense… I heard that meta tags and headers were the only two things that Google looks at. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Not true.

I receive many visitors from images.google.com

Image names are product codes in my store, so only way to find out for robot what is the image related to is to read description. I do not use meta keywords or description for product pages just for categories.

[QUOTE]

I heard that meta tags and headers were the only two things that Google looks at[/QUOTE]

Header and meta tag is invitation for robot to check page but only after reading content he will decide whatever to save it and offer as search result.

Why everyone is trying to trick the robot? If site visitor thinks site is ****, no seo tips will help making site popular.

Hello Noman,

[quote name=‘Noman’]Am I right or talking nonsense once again?[/QUOTE]

Nonsense? Not at all. Those who ask good questions are often more clever than others :wink:

[quote name=‘Noman’]Hi Lee

Apparently, Google don’t care much about your keywords and tags but will push you up in ranking for the rich content on your website, […][/QUOTE]

I have a lot of keywords and NO rich content (only a brief products description).

[quote name=‘Noman’] […] links from quality websites covering the same subjects - products, for articles in blogs and for being active in forums. […][/QUOTE]

It can help.

[quote name=‘Noman’] […] How often you change the content […][/QUOTE]

NEVER. Why, must I to change it?

[quote name=‘Noman’] […] how old the domain is also matters. […][/QUOTE]

I’m #3 on 6,950,000 competitors with only ONE keyword with my new website. This domain name is 4 months old. So… You understand what I think about domain age.

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘indy0077’]@ JerryRider and Struck:

That’s a joke, isn’t?[/QUOTE]

Yup.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Who knows… Who knows.

Clowns like that make life hard to live by. [/QUOTE]

A life without laughter isn’t worth living… although I do agree about clowns making it hard to live life… they seriously creep me out.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Who knows… Who knows.

Clowns like that make life hard to live by.

The website I manage is PR4, means nothing to me otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, in time you will indeed be able to get past it… Bozo! :wink:

[quote name=‘Struck’]Hopefully, in time you will indeed be able to get past it… Bozo! ;)[/quote]

Clown! - It honestly doesn’t interest me, 250k uniques per month… I’ll keep working on the site, rather than PageRank:mrgreen:

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Clown! - It honestly doesn’t interest me, 250k uniques per month… I’ll keep working on the site, rather than PageRank:mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

Jesse, I can see you are quite proud of the accomplishments you have provided to your employer, that can be an adequate form of personal motivation for some. I do believe you were the only one that read that post and actually took it serious though!

As far as PR, sure I wish my business site had a PR of 9, however, most important to me, and the only thing that really matters in the real scheme of things is how much money actually ends up in my pocket at the end of the year…

You should try to relax a little, it is better for your health in the long run!

[quote name=‘Struck’]Jesse, I can see you are quite proud of the accomplishments you have provided to your employer, that can be an adequate form of personal motivation for some. I do believe you were the only one that read that post and actually took it serious though![/quote]

All things being equal it’s a difficult position to be in, not easy having to bear the burden of fiscal income for other employees based upon the job that I’m doing.

[quote name=‘Struck’]

As far as PR, sure I wish my business site had a PR of 9, however, most important to me, and the only thing that really matters in the real scheme of things is how much money actually ends up in my pocket at the end of the year…[/quote]

PR 9 wouldn’t give you much more in the long run, I would anticipate that PR will be dead in a few years coming, get a good copyrighter, make geographical references to your product and make it interesting.

You can paypal me a commission if you like? :mrgreen:

[quote name=‘Struck’]

You should try to relax a little, it is better for your health in the long run![/quote]

Rest is for Carbon-Based Life-forms. Hail Megatron!