Is the search engine broken? - Fixing cs cart's search function

Since upgrading to 2.0.12, I’ve realised that all the sleek web 2.0 style UI improvements and extra features can’t make up the for the lack of care and attention that seems to have been paid to the basics.

Has anyone managed to improve the search function within cs cart, specifically the ‘quick search’?

For example, a ‘quick search’ for The Secret , which is one of our most popular books, gleans 3 pages of results - and the book in question is nowhere to be seen on the first page of results.

search is one of the most important aspects of user experience, and the current standard implementation of it is, for lack of a better word, broken.

I would really love to be able to introduce:

1. ranking of results based
  2. support for misspelled or partly complete strings - partial matching?
  3. search frequency logging - perhaps this is already here, somewhere?

I don’t expect it to be Google, but it would be nice if the search function were usable!

I think the search could be improved but on the other hand I find it works pretty well. They have added some nice addons like the quick search which a lot of other carts don’t have as a standard feature. In your example when I switched the show results to best-selling, “The Secret” came up first in the results. You can change how products are displayed in the admin panel if that helps for your issue.

[quote name=‘cygnusbooks’]Since upgrading to 2.0.12, I’ve realised that all the sleek web 2.0 style UI improvements and extra features can’t make up the for the lack of care and attention that seems to have been paid to the basics.

Has anyone managed to improve the search function within cs cart, specifically the ‘quick search’?

For example, a ‘quick search’ for The Secret , which is one of our most popular books, gleans 3 pages of results - and the book in question is nowhere to be seen on the first page of results.

search is one of the most important aspects of user experience, and the current standard implementation of it is, for lack of a better word, broken.

I would really love to be able to introduce:

1. ranking of results based
  2. support for misspelled or partly complete strings - partial matching?
  3. search frequency logging - perhaps this is already here, somewhere?

I don’t expect it to be Google, but it would be nice if the search function were usable![/quote]

[url]Cygnus Community

Time for you to modify search.tpl to have “search” “All of these words”

Reason: Everybook you have on your website has “secret” buried within the product title or description which is what CS-Cart searches for by default.

it would still be great to have a serach solution more suited to the 10’s than the 90’s though, or at least instructions for plugging external search services in to cs cart.

Has anyone managed to add auto suggest or misspelling support?

Auto Suggest yes, misspelling no. There are 2 free mods in here for Auto suggest. One is called Quick Search the other is called Auto Suggest. Also Webgraphiq.com has one as well.