Invalid Cs-Cart Html - Why And Is It Safe To Remove?

W3C finds the following two tags as invalid. Why are they there? Should I remove them?

From line 7 of > cscart_4.4.2\install\design\templates\common\header.php & on a live site in the active theme folder it's on line 5 of \templates\meta.tpl

Kinda baffled why this is here as it was used for legacy IE versions but none are specified in the tag. Which is odd but even worse is that Chromeframe went end of life 02/14 - no longer developed or supported.

This shows up on line 14 of my live site - no idea where it comes from (The visual editor perhaps?) and no such value exists for Meta.

you wanna remove the install folder tho really

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1411253156' post='192588']

you wanna remove the install folder tho really

[/quote]

The install files are on my local disk, I was just confirming that the invalid tag existed in the original files as well as in the live site files. One does the other does not…

Also, this meta tag:

is only in the Basic theme, not in the Responsive theme.

I can't find the other tag you identified in any of the CS-Cart source code, so it might be added by an addon using a meta.post.tpl or a meta.pre.tpl.

Thanks Don, you were correct - kind of.

I found this tag in the meta.tpl file of my 4.2.1 basic theme backup (taken before upgrading to 4.2.2)

And I found this in a cached file /var/cache/templates/basic/xxxxxxxx.tygh.meta.tpl

To clear the template cache, you use “?ctpl” in V4. In earlier versions both registry and template caches were cleared with '?cc' but now that is registry and combined css files.

Thanks EZ, that worked. How would I ever figure that out, why would it be needed after an upgrade (wouldn’t step one of any upgrade be to clear the cache as part of the script?) and… is the “clear cache” option in the Admin just a troll to mess with us? :grin:

More importantly - I had a cached file containing invalid 4.2.1 code time stamped 7 days after I upgraded to 4.2.2 and when I manually deleted that file the site is now running without the offending code. How can that happen?

On the bright side after manually removing the invalid (and seemingly pointless?) meta http-equiv tag and flushing the cache of the 4.2.1 meta name tag W3C happily validates the basic template as valid HTML5.

I didn't realize there was a link to Clear Cache in that menu.

I added the links for clearing the cache, clearing the templates, and one for clearing both, to the Quick Menu. The Quick Menu has little other use for me…

I didn't realize you could add links because I never user the quick menu, thanks! Template blaster added and will be used before during and after any changes from CSC.

The main menu Clear Cache link appears to be the same as ?cc that tbirnseth notes above, it helps sometimes when making theme or css changes - does not clear templates. Why CSC doesn't like to clear templates for upgrades nor want you to clear them when it seems to be a primary issues around all site changes, upgrades etc is a bit of a mystery. is there a downside to using it other than CPU & disk usage?

Generally those issues are related to file timestamps. I.e. cs-cart builds an archive on Sept 1 and distributes it. On Oct 15 you get around to doing the upgrade and the timestamps on the files are set to Sept 1. Hence the cached versions of file you may have in your browser and/or in cs-cart caching system might be greater than Sept 1.

Make sense?

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’ timestamp=‘1411758312’ post=‘192931’]

Generally those issues are related to file timestamps. I.e. cs-cart builds an archive on Sept 1 and distributes it. On Oct 15 you get around to doing the upgrade and the timestamps on the files are set to Sept 1. Hence the cached versions of file you may have in your browser and/or in cs-cart caching system might be greater than Sept 1.

Make sense?

[/quote]

I think it makes sense :-) file dates in the browser may reflect the first viewed date not the CSC cached date?

My issue does not make sense:[list]

[]I upgraded the site from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2

[
]W3C validation of the site failed due to code I could not find anywhere within the 4.2.2 source files but I did find in the 4.2.1 source files (untouched files downloaded from CSC) - [color=#000088][size=2]<meta[/size][/color][color=#000000][size=2] [/size][/color][color=#660066][size=2]name[/size][/color][color=#666600][size=2]=[/size][/color][color=#008800][size=2]“mode”[/size][/color][color=#000000][size=2] [/size][/color][color=#660066][size=2]content[/size][/color][color=#666600][size=2]=[/size][/color][color=#008800][size=2]“{$store_trigger}”[/size][/color][color=#000000][size=2] [/size][/color][color=#000088][size=2]/>[/size][/color]

[]I downloaded my entire site from production webserver to local including the cache. My guess was something about Visual Editor was adding the invalid code, I was wrong.

[
]All cached files on the live website in /var/cache/templates/ had a date of 7 days after the upgrade occurred.

[]I found the offending 4.2.1 code in a cached template file - [color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]xxxxxxxx.tygh.meta.tpl - [/font][/color]that was time stamped 7 days after 4.2.2 was installed.

[
]So how did 4.2.1 specific code end up in a 4.2.2 cached file? The beer in my fridge tells me to move on… :-)

[/list]

Moving on is probably best. But if you copied your site, then you copied the cache. The 4.2.1 data was cached (data and template). So when you opened your local site, you got the cached version. All my head can put together at this point!

Hope it's a good brand of beer and doesn't have any nasty bugs in it!

The copy of the site was 4.2.2 - copied to local after upgrading (normally I only backup key files, product images and the database to local) and only done so in my quest to find the offending code. Lest I stumbled (never!) I've confirmed again the live site backup of [color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]meta.tpl file doesn't have the bad code (4.2.1 meta.tpl does) but this file from /var/cache/… time stamped 7 days after upgrading does! [/font][/color]6af43c0269dd13e1db76c1370d35758548f29622.tygh.meta.tpl

No worries though, I'm in good hands with some of the regions finest - Dreadnaught | 3 Floyds Brewing Co. | BeerAdvocate

[quote name='grafis' timestamp='1411770724' post='192945']No worries though, I'm in good hands with some of the regions finest - http://www.beeradvoc…rofile/26/1558/

[/quote]

9.5% ABV? How many does it take to catch a buzz?

[quote name=‘The Tool’ timestamp=‘1411773377’ post=‘192947’]

9.5% ABV? How many does it take to catch a buzz?

[/quote]

About half of one then 3-4 more to enjoy the taste and make sure :-)