Installing CS-Cart Trial Version on CyberLNC

Hi Folks,

The whole hosting, FTP, MySQL aspect of this is a total mystery to me, and in spite of CyberLNC’s excellent support, I keep having basic questions:

What is a MySQL database and why do you need it? Where does it live on the server?

It says I need a third-party FTP client. Is this something I need to search for on the web and download? To where? Then what?

I have an account with CyberLNC.

I have pointed my domain to them from GoDaddy.

I have created an e-mail address and a “key” (whatever that is)

I have read the CS-Cart “install” directions.

I have downloaded the trial version to my home computer.

I have unzipped it.

I have created a MySQL database on CyberLNC.

I have created an “FTP account” (whatever that is) on CyberLNC.

Now what?

Can someone please give me step-by-step instructions for what to do next? I mean really basic, that a child could understand. (I’m not dumb or computer illiterate; I know html, CSS, Photoshop, and I built my own website from scratch, but I’m just not getting this hosting setup stuff.)

Thanks!

First, I would recommend you hire someone to do the setup for you and help you get acclimated to hosting a live ecommerce site. It’s not as easy as it sounds or looks, especially considering the questions you are asking.

[QUOTE]What is a MySQL database and why do you need it? Where does it live on the server?[/QUOTE]

Basic:

A database “holds” your data and allows you to interact with that data dynamically via your website.

[QUOTE]It says I need a third-party FTP client.[/QUOTE]

[URL=“http://filezilla-project.org/”]http://filezilla-project.org/[/URL]

You use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to upload files to your server.

[QUOTE]Now what?[/QUOTE]

If you have downloaded the trial version and unzipped it you can upload the entire package to your server via FTP or you can run it locally.

[URL=“CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation”]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

Like I said earlier…this is not “easy” and there is a lot to learn…especially if you are starting from “scratch” like you are.

CS-Cart Trial Version 2

CyberLNC host

Linux Server

Apache Version 2.2.11 (Unix)

Dedicated IP address

Mac home computer

PHP version 5.2.9

Thanks for all the help… I’ve managed, on my own, to get through a few more steps:

I downloaded the FTP client–Cyberduck (Mac).

I used Cyberduck to successfully upload the CS-Cart files to my server.

Now I’m supposed to change the permissions. The “change permissions” section in the installation instructions only covers Unix-based and Windows-based servers. Still, there is a “change permissions” function in the CPanel in the File Manager. I tried setting as many as I could to 777. But no luck with the next step, running the CS-Cart Installation Wizard. Getting the same error message as a lot of other people.

[QUOTE]Not Found

The requested URL /install/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at www.henryshealthypets.com Port 80[/QUOTE]

Any specifics on how this should be done properly for CyberLNC server?

BTW, when I finally figure all this out, and I will, I’ll write you guys some instructions for installing CS-Cart on your recommended host, CyberLNC. With clearer instructions, this could have been done in 1/2 hour (not including the download time) instead of two days.

I apologize if this is a double post. I’m still having problems with posting in the forum and then the post not being there.

I managed to figure out a couple more steps in the installation process, on my own.

Downloaded Cyberduck (for my Mac). And successfully downloaded the CS cart files to my server. But I’m getting the same error message as others when trying to use the installation wizard.

The permissions issue. The Installation Instructions cover Unix- and Windows-based servers. I’m using CyberLNC, which has a Linux-based server.

However, in the file manager there is a “change permissions” function. Changed all the files that I could to 777. Still no luck.

I agree with others that the installation instructions are lacking. As one example, when you say to change the permissions “using an FTP client” then does that mean I go back into Cyberduck to do it? Or do I do it in the File Manager on my CPanel. Simple stuff like this will drive you crazy and take a lot of time.

I’m having serious second thoughts about CS-Cart…Is the shopping cart as buggy as the instructions and the forum? Is this maybe a Mac compatibility problem? I NEVER had a problem posting on a forum before.

CyberLNC runs Redhat Enterprise Linux servers

Best way to explains would be

Microsoft is to Vista as Unix is to Linux

You need to place the following permissions on the following folders

755 - Folders / 644 - Files

addons

classes

core

include

payments

shippings

targets

777 - Folders / 777 - Files

catalog

images

skins

var

[quote name=‘Healthy Pets’]

I’m having serious second thoughts about CS-Cart…Is the shopping cart as buggy as the instructions and the forum? Is this maybe a Mac compatibility problem? I NEVER had a problem posting on a forum before.[/quote]

That’s because the forum and helpdesk are no sync’ed so you have to wait for a period of 24 hours before your account is active (and postable)

All in All this will be a very large learning curve for you and I wish you luck.

Should you require paid 3rd party support may I suggest ET-Interactive or myself depending on your time zone.

Kind Regards,

Jesse-Lee Stringer

[quote name=‘Healthy Pets’]I apologize if this is a double post. I’m still having problems with posting in the forum and then the post not being there.

I managed to figure out a couple more steps in the installation process, on my own.

Downloaded Cyberduck (for my Mac). And successfully downloaded the CS cart files to my server. But I’m getting the same error message as others when trying to use the installation wizard.

The permissions issue. The Installation Instructions cover Unix- and Windows-based servers. I’m using CyberLNC, which has a Linux-based server.

However, in the file manager there is a “change permissions” function. Changed all the files that I could to 777. Still no luck.

I agree with others that the installation instructions are lacking. As one example, when you say to change the permissions “using an FTP client” then does that mean I go back into Cyberduck to do it? Or do I do it in the File Manager on my CPanel. Simple stuff like this will drive you crazy and take a lot of time.

I’m having serious second thoughts about CS-Cart…Is the shopping cart as buggy as the instructions and the forum? Is this maybe a Mac compatibility problem? I NEVER had a problem posting on a forum before.[/quote]

I should mention that I believe that David from CyberLNC has provided screencasts / videos of important areas that you required, where these of benefit to you? (Citing helpdesk ticket from CyberLNC)

Looking at your link, you don’t seem to have the files in there or in the correct place. You need to upload and extract your files to public_html/ then run the install.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]CyberLNC runs unix servers, linux is based upon windows.

Best way to explains would be

Microsoft is to Vista as Unix is to Linux

[/QUOTE]

Thank you. This is the sort of extremely basic info I’m talking about. I’ve seen various types of servers mentioned:

Unix

Windows

Linux

Mac

So the two basic types of servers are Unix and Windows.

As for the posting problem:

[QUOTE]That’s because the forum and helpdesk are no sync’ed so you have to wait for a period of 24 hours before your account is active (and postable)[/QUOTE]

I’m not registered through the help desk. That didn’t work (wouldn’t let me register) so it was suggested I register using diff info. That worked: I was logged in, could change my profile, etc., but I still couldn’t see my posts. Support said THEY could see them. After a while, my posts appeared. Then later, gone again. Then back. Perhaps the support folks are making my posts appear manually? They didn’t mention a 24-hour wait for activation; no problem if that’s the case.

[QUOTE]All in All this will be a very large learning curve for you and I wish you luck.

Should you require paid 3rd party support may I suggest ET-Interactive or myself depending on your time zone.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the offer. I believe if you’re going to get on a sailboat you should know how to sail (at least a little). Given the fact that e-commerce technology still seems to be in “beta,” so to speak, no way I’m going to depend totally on others to keep it up and running. I’ve seen too many cries for help along the lines of “My site’s been down for 2 days…losing sales…no response from the help desk…”

So however large the learning curve is, I’ll deal with it.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]I should mention that I believe that David from CyberLNC has provided screencasts / videos of important areas that you required, where these of benefit to you? (Citing helpdesk ticket from CyberLNC)[/QUOTE]

David was extremely helpful, as I mentioned. But I haven’t heard back since my last e-mail. I’m sure he doesn’t have time to lead people through “hosting 101.”

BTW, in case anyone else has similar questions, here it is:

HOSTING 101

[url]http://www.forbeginners.info/web-hosting/[/url]

This should clear up a lot of my questions. Sorry to trouble you.

(BTW, I hope you can see this post; I cannot.)

[quote name=‘Healthy Pets’]David was extremely helpful, as I mentioned. But I haven’t heard back since my last e-mail. I’m sure he doesn’t have time to lead people through “hosting 101.” [/quote]

On the contrary did you send it via the support desk?

I’ve just checked your ticket and nothing has been posted since David’s last reply.

[quote name=‘CyberLNC helpdesk’]

06/17/2009 13:20I created a few videos to hopefully help you out.

[/quote]

I should mention that new account have to be checked off by an administrator or moderator for the first few posts at least I believe. This allows us to stop a large amount of spam from occuring.

After noticing this thread, I looked into your account at CyberLNC and saw that you did not have the cs-cart files placed within a publicly accessible directory and still had a few permission problems.

I went ahead and installed the cs-cart package for you. Please log into our helpdesk and view the ticket I replied to with your cs-cart login information.

Yes, thank you very much! I really appreciate the follow-through on your part.

The support at CyberLNC is excellent.

[quote name=‘S-Combs’]After noticing this thread, I looked into your account at CyberLNC and saw that you did not have the cs-cart files placed within a publicly accessible directory and still had a few permission problems.

I went ahead and installed the cs-cart package for you. Please log into our helpdesk and view the ticket I replied to with your cs-cart login information.[/QUOTE]

Hi dear ,

I am trying to install cscart instalation is complete on linux server but its giving 500 internal eror am just tired in looking for flies permissions nothing found please help will be greatfull