InMotionHosting - Dont if you value your money and time.

I’ve decided to try a VPS package from Inmotionhostin.com. Man i did a terible mistake !

Here’s what happen and i hope you all can learn from my mistake.

First i’ve emailed them asking for more details about the VPS package (mainly if there is a restriction to how many domains i can add to a package). Somebody replied and kindly informed me that there are no restrictions.

Ok, all seems fine and considering a post from a guy around this forum i decided to try it

I went through their site but they only offer credit card payment method. I’ve emailed the guy to whom i’ve talked before and ask if i could pay with Paypal. He replied stating that i could only pay with Paypal if i buy a 6 month or 12 month plan. The reason for this was, he said, they could not create a subscription with paypal (so i could not pay montly). This was the first statement that made me raise an eye brow. I know for sure you can have paypal subscriptions with Paypal (i have several right now).

To convince me he also said that i have a full 90 days money back guarantee if i’m not happy with their solution. Considering i was paying with Paypal and being offered a 90 days money back guarantee i asked for a payment request and i’ve paid it immediately after i got it.

Now trouble started.

After i paid i did not get any reply or account info for about one day. Would not have been an issue if i got a reply to my emails. But the fact that immediately after payment there was a complete silence for almost a day pissed me off. I’ve also tired to chat through their live chat support but they were offline (even if the Livechat status said that they were online). After one day i got a reply stating that the delay was because only managers can see Paypal payments and that the stuff in charge was unavailable at night. They advertise their service with a TRUE 24x7 support. Night time must not be included !

Well, i thought delays can happen and all was a misunderstanding and decided to put this episode behind me and give their package a try. I’ve copied a site to them, created the databases, modified the config.php file to point to the new DBs but when i tried to load it i got :

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 24 bytes)

I did a google search and i came accros this link: [url]Home - Magento Forums

At replies #4 and #5 you can see how the guy that encountered the same problem is also trying to host his site with Inmotionhosting. He also tried to install a shopping cart.

Seeing this i came to the conclusion that VPS packages from InMotionHosting.com are NOT suited for shopping carts and i decided to ask for a full refund. I’ve emailed them and since i got no reply in the first 5 hours i went to my Paypal account and place a Held on the payment i’ve sent to them. Seeing how they were not that honest before and considering my not so positive starting relationship with them i thought that was the best thing to do.

I’ve insisted with another email to get a reply to my refund request. I’ve also went through their live chat (this time it worked) and the guy there assured me that i will receive an email from customer care.

I did and i was told it would take 72 hours for a refund>

Now, this morning i got another email saying that because i’ve placed a Paypal complaint and a fund held against them, they can’t reimburse me until i remove that complaint.

I mean WTF ??? You can easily issue a refund for the money held by the complaint and, after refund, the dispute automatically closes. Either their staff is dump or their trying everything not to honor their 90 days money back guarantee.

I wonder why all this useless hassle ??? I will for sure NOT close the paypal complaint and if they wont refund me i will escalate it to a dispute. Considering they offered me a 90 days money back guarantee and that the solution they provided is not working properly with shopping carts (and no where in their product description it says that this package might not work with shopping carts) i will be reimbursed by Paypal. But it’s just pathetic how some companies “value” their customers and have such poor customer care.

Long story short:

• InMotionHosting.com vps package will not work with Cs-Cart well. I’ve also seen that it will not work with Magento Shopping cart and maybe no other script that is PHP intensive. Their PHP configuration limits your possibilities.
  • InMotionHosting.com TRUE 24x7 support is “true” only during their day time (US day time). I’m from EU and my day is their night and i get no email replies at my peak hours.
  • They Money Back Guarantee is not that guaranteed and they will hassle you to hell in trying not to refund you. Maybe that is why they only accept credit cards, because it’s a lot harder for a buyer to ask for a refund from his bank then it is if you pay with Paypal.

My conclusion: do not bother with InMotionHosting.com. You will only waste your time and, possible your money.

I’ve got a client currently on inmotionhosting and they have issues pertaining to disallowing CHMOD 777 (which you know is needed for /var/ /images/ /skins/) etc… Good luck whereever you go :slight_smile:

I’m not going anywhere. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard that VPS packages are better for shopping carts and since i’m currently getting some Connection Intreruptions along with some Open orders from time to time with CyberLNC.com i thought to try a VPS.

Since CyberLNC is not offering a VPS package but only a dedicated server which is expensive i’ve tried an InMotionHosting VPS. BAD decision.

[quote name=‘evecookies’]I’m not going anywhere. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard that VPS packages are better for shopping carts and since i’m currently getting some Connection Intreruptions along with some Open orders from time to time with CyberLNC.com i thought to try a VPS.

Since CyberLNC is not offering a VPS package but only a dedicated server which is expensive i’ve tried an InMotionHosting VPS. BAD decision.[/QUOTE]

what is vps ?

Virtual private server

is a method of partitioning a physical server computer into multiple servers such that each has the appearance and capabilities of running on its own dedicated machine.

As always, this isn’t official commmunication, but my personal guess is that the shared servers act more or less like the VPS that you are aiming for?

Lastly the connection interupts are normally associated with the payment host, I’ve had a few days of Paypal not working 100%, but I know it’s paypal causing the issue more than anything.

[quote name=‘evecookies’]I’m not going anywhere. :slight_smile:

Since CyberLNC is not offering a VPS package but only a dedicated server which is expensive i’ve tried an InMotionHosting VPS. BAD decision.[/quote]

I also assume is Paypal script in many cases. However i get the Connection Intrerupted message from my browser (same as if i were offline) while accessing other pages, mainly in backend.

I admit it is very rare but it is happening…

As for InMotionHosting.com, i’ve talked to their manager and everything was sorted. They refunded me afterall witout any other “demands”

[quote name=‘evecookies’]I also assume is Paypal script in many cases. However i get the Connection Intrerupted message from my browser (same as if i were offline) while accessing other pages, mainly in backend.

I admit it is very rare but it is happening…

As for InMotionHosting.com, i’ve talked to their manager and everything was sorted. They refunded me afterall witout any other “demands”[/quote]

Evecookies,

I have hosted in the past with Inmotion a CS cart with no problems at all and found them to be very honest and friendly.

Sounds like you had a communication problem - thats all.

Dan was the man to go to there if you needed help. He helped me above and beyond the call of duty many times. The only catch is that the first person to answer the phone can be relatively inexperienced and you need patience to reach someone such as Dan with more training.

Sunil in the business office was always very good about anything business related ask for him if you have further finance problems.

In summary they are fine for shared hosting - go elsewhere for a VPS or dedicated account. Wiredtree is a good value and has true 24/7 service.

Good to hear that you have sorted everything out.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]I’ve got a client currently on inmotionhosting and they have issues pertaining to disallowing CHMOD 777 (which you know is needed for /var/ /images/ /skins/) etc… Good luck whereever you go :)[/quote]

Jesse,

Ask to speak to Dan in support he will sort your problem out if anyone can at Inmotion.

I had a VPS for about a yr with inmotion that had 3 cs-cart installs (1.3.5 and 2.0+) and didn’t have any problems. The memory errors are easily fixed by modifying the php.ini settings. I never use default php settings b/c they are generally not suitable for dynamic sites and not secure regardless of the host.

With that said, I moved about 60 domains from them b/c I needed faster response and resolution time and found someone that does this better. But, I still think they are suitable lower budget VPS provider and ok with shared hosting too.