Importing Products/ Secondary Categories

[size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I am in need of a way to import products into my store without changing secondary categories.[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Id like to be able to add secondary categories into the product code, without deleting out the rest from the secondary categories column that's already in my store.[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Is there a way to do this?[/font][/size]

I always try this whenever im stuck with an import question first, try creating the product you want then export it and look at this info.

For instance in your case add a test product add it to multiple categories or whatever it is you want ot do then export and look at the information and the way it handles the data, apart from options/features I find mosty things are fairly easy to understand.

Once I can see how the system deals with it you can do a full export then edit you CSV accordingly.

my site http://www.nasti.com.au was all imported by CSV which I did in similar way

Scott Rotton

Sex Toys Online

Well I know and understand how to do a import/export.

Let me explain what Im trying to do.

My site is a motorcycle parts site.

All of our products are not on our site, but have found some csv files from the

previous guy that was here working on them.

These csv files contain the product code, description, and what it fits.

For instance, These is a part number that is 14153000. This is a oil filter.

That part number is already on the site but does not have all the secondary categories in it yet.

With these csv files I have found, it has all the other secondary categories I need to do.

But I want to be able to import these csv files and just have it add the secondary category information,

From my previous understanding, when you import or export any parts, anything you change in there before you import it back into the site will change it to that, It does not add the info but changes it to what is on the csv file.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to import info and just having it add the information to the product codes and not fully changing it.

Just import the .csv with the 2 fields you need.

Product code

Secondary categories

oil filters;unipart;K&N;

try it with 1 product code first

John

[quote name=‘johnbol1’ timestamp=‘1350140982’ post=‘146969’]

Just import the .csv with the 2 fields you need.

Product code

Secondary categories

oil filters;unipart;K&N;

try it with 1 product code first

John

[/quote]

I just tried that with a test product, and it erased all the secondary categories and just input the category I put under secondary categories in the csv file. :-(

Works fine for me 2.14, 2.24.

Dont use /// as de limiter in secondary categories, use ;

and if you already have some products that have secondary categories and you just want to add more secondary categories to the same products you will have to concatenate them in excel, (or copy and paste etc)

code.JPG

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1350142627' post='146971']

Works fine for me 2.14, 2.24.

Dont use /// as de limiter in secondary categories, use ;

and if you already have some products that have secondary categories and you just want to add more secondary categories to the same products you will have to concatenate them in excel, (or copy and paste etc)

[/quote]

Yes I do have csv files with the product codes in them that have other secondary categories in them that Id just like to add.

So far that's been the issue, is when I import them, it just changes the secondary categories to what was in the imported csv file.

I just want to add some secondary categories to the products already in cs-cart, without erasing the info that's already in there.

You said that I would have to [font=“arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif”][color=“#282828”]concatenate them. What exactly does that mean and how would you do that?[/color][/font]

export the products you want secondary categories adding too, just export product code and secondary categories.

open in excel then copy and paste the “new column” to somewhere in the exported spreadsheet. leave at least 4 spare columns between the 2 .

in a blank cell between the 2 type =concatenate(b3,b4,b5,) etc being the columns all the data you want added together are in, once all added together highlight the whole column, copy then “paste as values only” into the new column called secondary categories and your done.

in my example above b3 would contain the already exported secondary categories, b4 would contain the delimiter “;” (without quotes)

and b5 is the data from your buddy who left the old .csv

if you have problems I dont mind taking a look at the .csv files

Thanks

John

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1350144613' post='146977']

export the products you want secondary categories adding too, just export product code and secondary categories.

open in excel then copy and paste the “new column” to somewhere in the exported spreadsheet. leave at least 4 spare columns between the 2 .

in a blank cell between the 2 type =concatenate(b3,b4,b5,) etc being the columns all the data you want added together are in, once all added together highlight the whole column, copy then “paste as values only” into the new column called secondary categories and your done.

in my example above b3 would contain the already exported secondary categories, b4 would contain the delimiter “;” (without quotes)

Thanks

John

[/quote]

Great, ya let me try this out a little bit. If anything I can send you a message and show you both csv files I'm working with. It may be a lot easier and you'd know what I'm dealing with. But let me try what you have suggested above and ill keep you posted!

Thanks

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1350144613' post='146977']

Thanks

John

[/quote]

Hey,

I may need to show you the excel files now though.

I seen how that Concatenate works in excel but im not sure if that is going to work fully for what I am needing done. It seems like it may cause more work in the long run.

If I could Id like to send you the excel files and maybe see if we are on the same page and see what you think.

Tried sending you a private message but it said you couldn't receive anymore messages.

Strange about the messages, I was trying to send one to another member and got that message from them too !,

john at hi vis.co.uk

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1350409123' post='147118']

Strange about the messages, I was trying to send one to another member and got that message from them too !,

john at hi vis.co.uk

[/quote]

DO you might have an email I could email you the excel files for you to take a look at?

Or maybe try to post them up here?

[quote name='harpersmoto' timestamp='1350409871' post='147119']

DO you might have an email I could email you the excel files for you to take a look at?

Or maybe try to post them up here?

[/quote]

email is post above…john at hivis.co.uk

Any One knows,

In Multi store (Ultimate version)

How to link single product with multiple categories of different store.

Example:

Product name: ProductA

Category name(store 1) : MainCategory

Category name(store 1) : SubCategory

Category name(store 2) : SubSubCategory

Means: I want to link my productA with the different categories of different store with Import mode CSV file.

so single product can appear in both store.

also, the cscart default system overwrites the same category name of different store via Import mode.