Import With Categories, Not Working As Expected

I need to import some products, my same here is two.

both will got to the same category, for different vendors.

the category is A///B

that category exists, and there are other products already there. (manually added)

on import, the two products are correctly setup for vendor and other content,

but NEW a category tree is created with the same names as existing categories

the case of the category names parent and child match the existing ones.

I exported the two products and the category in the export is set to A///B,

but on import it still creates the two same named categories.

this happens on Multi-vendor 4.2.4 and 4.3.1

on import the only thing I do is select the filename.

Hello.

We have checked this issue on MV 4.3.1 and can not reproduce it.

Please provide with example of your file.

Thank you.

[quote name='sdetweil' timestamp='1431357360' post='213986']

I exported the two products and the category in the export is set to A///B,

but on import it still creates the two same named categories.

[/quote]

Did you edit the csv file after it was generated? Such problems can be caused by the incorrect file encoding.

[quote name='eComLabs' timestamp='1431420112' post='214060']

Did you edit the csv file after it was generated? Such problems can be caused by the incorrect file encoding.

[/quote]

in notepad++ the file encoding shows UTF-8 no BOM

the file has been edited with notepad++.

[quote name='Alt-team' timestamp='1431416907' post='214052']

Hello.

We have checked this issue on MV 4.3.1 and can not reproduce it.

Please provide with example of your file.

Thank you.

[/quote]

where can I post the binary file?

[quote name='eComLabs' timestamp='1431420112' post='214060']

[/quote]

I set the encoding to UTF-8 (with BOM) ans Ansi and import failed to find the first field (“Product code”)

set it back to UTF-8 no BOM, import works, but new categories were created.

[quote name='sdetweil' timestamp='1431436177' post='214095']

I set the encoding to UTF-8 (with BOM) ans Ansi and import failed to find the first field (“Product code”)

set it back to UTF-8 no BOM, import works, but new categories were created.

[/quote]

Try to make export and import the file back without file correction and let us know the result

[quote name='eComLabs' timestamp='1431436943' post='214098']

Try to make export and import the file back without file correction and let us know the result

[/quote]

I did that… I did not get the import completed notice, so I don't know if the import actually happened

there were also 3 products listed in the import (vendor export), two were the ones imported prior into the weird category. I did a delete category before,

and the products are no longer findable, or listed anywhere… but show in the export.

HI

I have this issue, When the file is exported from multi vendor a space is added into the “Secondary categories” fields

So if your category is Seating & Support///Postural Supports & Car Seating

This is exported as Seating & Support/// Postural Supports & Car Seating

Seating & Support///(space here) Postural Supports & Car Seating

This results in a new category being created on import that looks the same as the original as the leading space is not visible.

The only way I could correct this was to open my file in excel and run a macro on “secondary category” to remove the spaces after /// as I have over 3000 third level categories.

and then save it as CSV before import.

Alan

I don't see the space problem in either csv file. I used the hex character viewed for notepad++.

I also looked in the database after import which caused the new categories to be added

parent category

mysql> select * from cscart_category_descriptions where category='xxxxxxx xxxx';

±------------±----------±-------------±------------±--------------±-----------------±-----------±--------------------+

| category_id | lang_code | category | description | meta_keywords | meta_description | page_title | age_warning_message |

±------------±----------±-------------±------------±--------------±-----------------±-----------±--------------------+

| 322 | en | xxxxxxx xxxx | | | | | |

| 474 | en | xxxxxxx xxxx | NULL | | | | NULL |

2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

child category

mysql> select * from cscart_category_descriptions where category='yyyyy';

±------------±----------±---------±------------±--------------±-----------------±-----------±--------------------+

| category_id | lang_code | category | description | meta_keywords | meta_description | page_title | age_warning_message |

±------------±----------±---------±------------±--------------±-----------------±-----------±--------------------+

| 466 | en | yyyyy | | | | | |

| 475 | en | yyyyy | NULL | | | | NULL |

2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

so it looks like the root problem is matching the category names

In this case it is required to examine the issue directly on your server. If you are interested, we can make such examination. Feel free to contact us

delete of the extra categories now sends an error to httpd/error_log, and shows a 'store closed' error page, once for the child and once for the parent. it succeeds overall.

/var/app/current/app/addons/seo/schema/seo/objects.php

Undefined index A: line 70.

Hello.

We can also examine this issue. We work often with exports and imports.

Please provide us with your import file.

Thank you.

[quote name='Alt-team' timestamp='1431501600' post='214203']

Hello.

We can also examine this issue. We work often with exports and imports.

Please provide us with your import file.

Thank you.

[/quote]

I tried to send forum email, says you cannot receive.

Ok, this turned out to be my problem.

after creating the large (465) category list by hand, I used msyqldump to export the tables categories and category_descriptions.

the file 'deleted' the tables first… I didn't want to do that, so I edited the sql file.

when I saved it, the category NAMES had a tab character (x'09') appended to the end inside the quoted text

(notepad++ as the editor)…

when I created the new test and planned production stores, I used the sql file to load the categories, but now the names all have tab at the end and won't match whitespace,…

I fixed the sql file, and rebuilt the store from scratch… all works as expected now.

sdetweil, thank you for letting us know it