How To Setup Both Development And Production Instances

we are working towards getting our store online…

once we buy the production license (tied to url), what do we do for our dev/test system? which is located on our internal network? I have used the 30 license up to now. but there are things you cannot test with this environment… like upgrade.

I come from old school, test everything before putting into production. Never get a second chance to make a first impression with customers.

[quote name='sdetweil' timestamp='1431602900' post='214375']

we are working towards getting our store online…

once we buy the production license (tied to url), what do we do for our dev/test system? which is located on our internal network? I have used the 30 license up to now. but there are things you cannot test with this environment… like upgrade.

I come from old school, test everything before putting into production. Never get a second chance to make a first impression with customers.

[/quote]

You can set up test environment with the actual license number if the test store is not public!

[quote name='eComLabs' timestamp='1431607577' post='214386']

You can set up test environment with the actual license number if the test store is not public!

[/quote]

the test store will not be public, but it will also not have the same url as the public store.

cs-cart license policy allows to have one development copy

to make sure about it, please contact cs-cart support team

best regards,

WSA team

[quote name='sdetweil' timestamp='1431629528' post='214418']

the test store will not be public, but it will also not have the same url as the public store.

[/quote]

It will not be the problem, we set up staging stores for our customers many times

to confirm, does it have to be on the same domain as the main site in a sub directory? Is there a guide to doing this/not making it public?

Edit: Just found [url=“How To Setup Both Development And Production Instances - Installation & Upgrade - CS-Cart Community Forums”]How To Setup Both Development And Production Instances - Installation & Upgrade - CS-Cart Community Forums

[quote name='amdowney' timestamp='1436200481' post='221804']

to confirm, does it have to be on the same domain as the main site in a sub directory?

[/quote]

No, this condition is not necessary.

[quote name='amdowney' timestamp='1436200481' post='221804']

Is there a guide to doing this/not making it public?

[/quote]

Please find the “Close store-front” option in the store settings

eComLabs is correct.

No restriction on domain name for DEV site.

The only restriction is that this DEV site should be closed from public access.

Closing the store is one option. Using Cpanel to password protect the directory is another.

I have just created a dev site on a subdomain within the registered domain. all links work fine for the cs-cart part of the website however, once we go to the blog (wp) the urls are pointing to the live site NOT the development. (Not what I want when my intention is to move to a cs-cart blog/addon).

Not being familiar with the intracacies of integrating wp with csc I would appreciate some advice on where to look and change this behaviour. I do not have access to the wp admin login however, of I have access to the files and dbase tables.

A third party has worked on the site (about 1 year ago) and integrated wordpress for the blog (this is a 2.1.4 install). There was also some work done on google analytics and ad-words component. Which crippled the site over time - the templates were "messed" about with so that the page became distorted (this bit was fixed however some of the

Ultimately I would like to remove the wordpress component on the development site and all traces of the adwords work that was done. In the meantime I just want to make sure that links are pointing to the right install so that I can update to more recent versions of cs-cart, and go from there.

Any and all help and suggestions are always more than welcome.

TIA

Hope the following article will help you:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL

Well we are not doing this as well however, I followed Tony's tutorial here on the forum last night as of this morning I cannot find it anymore. Tony you posted I believe a tutorial on how to setup a developer site.

I am stuck right now in terms that I just cannot login to the store admin panel.

I've just followed this tutorial http://docs.cs-cart.com/4.3.x/install/useful_info/copying_store_to_subdirectory.html and all seems to have gone well except I cannot access the admin login page.

When I try I just get the storefront closed page and I do not know how to fix it.

Normal site is still functioning fine and can access admin panel.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've just followed this tutorial http://docs.cs-cart.com/4.3.x/install/useful_info/copying_store_to_subdirectory.html and all seems to have gone well except I cannot access the admin login page.

When I try I just get the storefront closed page and I do not know how to fix it.

Normal site is still functioning fine and can access admin panel.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check the source of the store-front closed page (Ctrl + U). You should see error message at the bottom

Thank you for that, you guys are always a great help :grin:

It's stating that it cannot connect to the database. I've followed the tutorial exactly in regards to the database stuff so I assumed it would have worked.

Not sure where to look to remedy. Have attached a screenshot of the error message.

Error Log.PNG

Verify that the credentials (db_name, db_user, db_pass) are correct for the DB you are using for your test site.

If you have SSH access to your site, you can try:

# mysql -u[db_user] -p[db_pass] [full_name_of_your_db]

If it connects then there is something else wrong.

More than likely you have a typo somewhere.

Thank you for that, you guys are always a great help :grin:

It's stating that it cannot connect to the database. I've followed the tutorial exactly in regards to the database stuff so I assumed it would have worked.

Not sure where to look to remedy. Have attached a screenshot of the error message.

Please check the following parameters in the config.local.php file

$config['db_host'] =
$config['db_name'] =
$config['db_user'] =
$config['db_password'] =
(!) Make sure that there is no local_conf.php file in the root directory of your CS-Cart installation