How to create a portable skin

I’m starting with CS Cart and need to create a skin that suits my needs. I’m using a trial installation running locally on my machine.

Do I understand correctly that if I select a skin (say, Sports skin) and then change it to my liking then I will be able to take /home/ilya/apache/skins/sports folder and use it with another installation of CS cart?

EDIT: sorry, everyone, I found this thread. However, I wouldn’t mind if someone would point me to the design guide.

[quote]

However, I wouldn’t mind if someone would point me to the design guide.

[/quote]

Look to the sky, pick a star and make a wish! :slight_smile: That’s about as close as you’re gonna get to a design guide.

I take that I’m not the only one asking for that? :slight_smile:

I won’t do a rant on documentation. But the point of good documentation is to help someone make decisions, not tell you what you can already see on an admin page. I.e. what does seclecting a particular option actually do? But this point seems to get lost in the translation…

And no, you’re not the only one… Many feature requests are simply a missunderstanding of the capabilities that already exist.

I see. Well then perhaps you could just answer one more question? I need to do a lot of .css and .tpl editing - I made a copy of a skin and I’m going to modify it. So far I see how I can modify a skin in skins/ and it is reflected on the site. But how do I get those changes into skins_repository? Or should I edit skin in repository and then do a restore so that changes would go live?

Why would you want to have it in skins_repository unless you’re intending to sell it down the line.

Not quite sure to what extent you are planning to make changes. I wrote a document a couple of years agon that might help you: [url]http://www.ez-ms.com/docs/customizing_your_store.pdf[/url]

Before deciding to do a whole new skin, you might want to consider simply taking an existing skin that has a “layout” as close to what you want as possible, and then using hooks to adjust it to suit your needs.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]

Before deciding to do a whole new skin, you might want to consider simply taking an existing skin that has a “layout” as close to what you want as possible, and then using hooks to adjust it to suit your needs.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m going to do, modify an existing skin. Thanks for the document, that should help.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]

Not quite sure to what extent you are planning to make changes. I wrote a document a couple of years agon that might help you: [url]http://www.ez-ms.com/docs/customizing_your_store.pdf[/url]

[/QUOTE]

That documentation has helped me understand greatly…

Thanks