How to charge a customer a specific amount for an order?

I just upgraded from only using paypal and google checkout and purcahsed a merchant account/payment gateway with authorize.net and cdgcommerce.

So I am wondering if there is an easy solution to replace the paypal email invoice/money request option?

Say I agree to offer a single customer a discount, but I don’t want to change the prices on the items in the cart for anyone else to see. How do I bill them for a specific amount, without taking their cc info over the phone and using virtual terminal?

I thought about creating a new product and hiding it, for the exact amount, and listing the customers order in the description, but that is unprofessional and figure there must be a better way. I thought I could also issue a one-time coupon, but we often negotiate shipping, and when the shipping costs auto-compute, the total will not be accurate. It will also not work if I want to discount one item in the order and not the others. Any advice?

I am also wondering the best way to upgrade from 1.3.5 to 2.0.3? I really do not want to start from scratch and also concerned about preserving file structure so it doesn’t negatively affect google rankings/indexing.

[QUOTE]Say I agree to offer a single customer a discount, but I don’t want to change the prices on the items in the cart for anyone else to see. How do I bill them for a specific amount, without taking their cc info over the phone and using virtual terminal?[/QUOTE]

I think providing your customer a single use coupon would be the cleanest, most professional way to handle these special situations. Another method which we sometimes use to handle shipping discounts on specific order situations, is to request that the customer complete their order as displayed in the cart, then we make the final adjustment to the shipping cost before we actually “capture” the charge. You can always capture a lessor amount than was originally authorized for the credit card transaction.

Thank you for your advice Stuck.

I believe our authorize.net settings are set to “auto capture and process,” so we would have to change this to manual capture, is that correct?

[QUOTE]I believe our authorize.net settings are set to “auto capture and process,” so we would have to change this to manual capture, is that correct?[/QUOTE]

That’s correct, you would have to have set up your Authorize.net account to manually Capture each transaction. We have run our stores both ways, and I have to say that I now actually prefer to manually capture the transactions because it gives you so much more flexibility & control over each transaction! (And it sounds as if that is exactly what you need as well :wink: ) In the beginning I was concerned that manually capturing each transaction was going to be too much extra work, however, I now believe having the extra control saves us time. It also allows us to perform the final capture on transactions only when we know the order is ready to be shipped out. It really boils down to the type of business you have & how you want to run it.

Thanks for the great advice, I think I’ll go ahead and do that.

Is there an easy way to charge the customer an additional amount after the sale? Giving a partial refund is simple enough, but I am wondering if anyone has any advice on this?

Also, within the Admin panel, I notice on successful orders, the full credit card info is not displayed, only the last 4 digits, the rest is X’ed out. But on orders that are declined, I am able to see the full cc info. Should that be?

Lastly, when we first set it up, I was getting a higher percentage of declined orders, and took off most of the fraud settings on authorize.net (address match etc.) Is there are good reference for how to best set this up to make sure you protect yourself but also don’t make it too secure that orders are constantly being declined? I’ve read enough fraud stories to scare the **** out of me, but we’ve shipped hundreds of orders overseas using nothing but paypal and GC and not one single issue, so I’d rather not make things too difficult for my customers in terms of order processing. If I lose one or two to a scam, it’s likely worth it in the long run, or I’ll re-evaluate it and when the time comes.

Thanks again for any advice offered

[QUOTE]Is there an easy way to charge the customer an additional amount after the sale?[/QUOTE] If you setup to manually capture your transactions, then you can typically capture an amount approx. 10-15% greater than the amount originally authorized for, again nice option for when a customer calls after the fact & wants to add another of this or that to their order, change shipping methods, etc. You will have to check with your card processor to see what their limit is on this additional capture amount.

[QUOTE]Lastly, when we first set it up, I was getting a higher percentage of declined orders, and took off most of the fraud settings on authorize.net (address match etc.)[/QUOTE] Several yrs ago I setup a merchant account with Authorizenet, I do remember well that they have a very extensive address verification system in place of which can easily turn out to be overkill causing many legitimate orders to be declined! I ended up majorly relaxing their avs settings as the majority of our customers are repeat and typically if they entered an incorrect digit in their billing street address, it was only because they were rushing thru the order process, not because they stole someones credit card! :confused: So you may want to set the AVS up to only verify the zip code & city for example. If you sell products which typically have a high rate of fraudulent transactions, then you would want to tighten up the settings. We have been selling online for over 10 years & I am nearly certain we have not had even a single fraudulent transaction pass through, however, we don’t sell high risk products & I do consider ourselves extremely lucky or “something”. Good Luck! :wink:

You don’t need to remove settings, per se - but be aware that there are limitations placed on certain card types - especially in modern times where in the US rebates are coming in the form of gift cards as are unemployment and other government benefits programs - many of these cashless payment systems don’t have the same security options as regular credit cards - so the last thing you want to do is set these to automatically fail is verification is not possible.

The cases you need to watch for generally are:

Banks that don’t have CVV codes available.

Cards that don’t have billing addresses available.

Cards with billing addresses that are outside the US.

And furthermore, the fraud devices on Authorize.net allow you to set up procedures for:

transaction value threshold

transaction velocity threshold

AVS accuracy (number, street, city, state and zip match)

CVV response

We are set to deny tx only in cases where city/state/zip doesn’t match and name doesn’t match. All others pass through generally.

We are set to get warning when shipping and billing addresses do not match, and if orders are over a certain amount they are put into holding for manual authorization.

With all of these these features in place, we were still getting fraud orders from people who have cards, full cardholder information and cvv codes. As a result, we started using minFraud from MaxMind and this has been positive with one exception - it evaluates orders entered manually by an admin as well - generally causing failures due to IP distance from billing address, and for some reason at certain levels there is no transaction override.

[quote name=‘jagorny’]You don’t need to remove settings, per se - but be aware that there are limitations placed on certain card types - especially in modern times where in the US rebates are coming in the form of gift cards as are unemployment and other government benefits programs - many of these cashless payment systems don’t have the same security options as regular credit cards - so the last thing you want to do is set these to automatically fail is verification is not possible.

The cases you need to watch for generally are:

Banks that don’t have CVV codes available.

Cards that don’t have billing addresses available.

Cards with billing addresses that are outside the US.

And furthermore, the fraud devices on Authorize.net allow you to set up procedures for:

transaction value threshold

transaction velocity threshold

AVS accuracy (number, street, city, state and zip match)

CVV response

We are set to deny tx only in cases where city/state/zip doesn’t match and name doesn’t match. All others pass through generally.

We are set to get warning when shipping and billing addresses do not match, and if orders are over a certain amount they are put into holding for manual authorization.

With all of these these features in place, we were still getting fraud orders from people who have cards, full cardholder information and cvv codes. As a result, we started using minFraud from MaxMind and this has been positive with one exception - it evaluates orders entered manually by an admin as well - generally causing failures due to IP distance from billing address, and for some reason at certain levels there is no transaction override.[/QUOTE]

Hello, Jagorny,

I would like to ask you to say something more about your experience with ANTI FRAUD system from Maxmind.

IN my case, I think the biggest problem is the criminal person NOT OWNER using a credit card from a person and after a few time the webstore will know that It will lose the money received to pay a product that was sent to that person.

What are you doing now to solve this problem?

Asking what kind of docs?

Sending after a period?

OTHER PEOPLE who have a good idea of what to do to minimize FRAUD in internet payment, if want, can CONTRIBUTE.

Thanks!

Thanks!

???

Someone with a good experience in FRAUD DETECTION?

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz