• Others technical issues

5. Identify the type of penalty

• Check rankings for keywords
  • Look for missing URLs
  • Check site security

6. Fix everything that violates quality guidelines

• Using hidden text
  • “Cloaking” or using sneaky redirects
  • Keyword stuffing (loading a page with irrelevant terms)
  • Participating in link schemes, such as link purchasing or excessive reciprocal linking
  • Inbound links are hard to fix

7. Visit Google Webmaster Help Forum

• Be completely honest

8. Find other sources of traffic

If the bulk of your business comes from one traffic source, it’s time to diversify. Diversify before something happens to all that traffic.

Source: [url]Search Marketing: How to avoid and remove Google penalties | MarketingSherpa

Lee Li Pop

Very nice post on SEO, Duplicate Content problem is really a pain for SEO. No matter how good your content is, avoid Duplicate Content technical problem will always benefit the website ranking.

What exactly means “- Duplicate content”

website.com/product.html?cur=eur

website.com/product.html?cur=usd

or

product.html

product2.html

load with same general information (say company description, shipping or payment information) below description.

yeah exactly what does it consider…“duplicate”

I have products on my sites for say “Kids Tousers” in “Kids” Category, but then I duplicate this product and add it in a second category Called “waterproof trousers it is the same product but in 2 categories…am I a naughty boy for this.

JOhn”

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]yeah exactly what does it consider…“duplicate”

I have products on my sites for say “Kids Tousers” in “Kids” Category, but then I duplicate this product and add it in a second category Called “waterproof trousers it is the same product but in 2 categories…am I a naughty boy for this.

JOhn”[/QUOTE]

That is surly duplicate as exactly same product can be accessed from more then one link. But I do not think you would get penalty for this.

However is speaking of category or a subcategory it can be accessed with many links as +currency, languages, session ids, shopping options (free shipping, price range, features) generate hundreds of links to same list products.

But what really interests me is for example

You sell products for kids, so you have features, details unique for each product. But what if you got block below added to each and every product explaining information about fabrics, safety, explanation about sizes and similar. What about such partly duplicate pages?

Im no expert t but I dont reckon content on the same page will be classed as duplicate contenet.

Surely Google knows a product title and descrition and even materials that make up the products are gonna be duplicated on many pages.

Perhaps the boundaries we are thinking of are maybe keyword stuffing and this is no way that.

John

Hello All,

Please, no psychosis.

The three first questions are:

1 - Will my website is indexed by Google?

2 - Will my important pages are indexed by Google?

3 - Will my ranking is roughly same as recently or is it improved?

If only one answer is “No”, maybe you’re under a Google penalty…

So, it’s time to check the advices of this post.

If two or three answers are “No”, you’re probably fell under a Google penalty… Act now to find and fix the possible problem(s) as fast as possible.

If your answers are three “Yes”, no psychosis, everything is OK.

This is why, the most important is to routinely check the site metrics and note them into an Excel file:

Put your Pages (or Keywords) into rows. The Dates into columns (15 days gap is enough). Your Ranking into cells.

Do it now!

Lee Li Pop

Duplicate content is a term google likes to put out simply because to most people with common sense it means one thing but to them it means another or rather others as they often tend to cloud any subject if it helps their aims (pr).

If you setup a site;

[url]http://www.mysite.com/index.html[/url]

and then try to get more indexes in search engines by simply replicating that page under another name

[url]http://www.mysite.com/dup/index.html[/url]

This is duplicate content, the are other ways and google is supposed to have ways of filtering content to class that content duplicate or not. To my mind if you play the fair game and don#t try to cheat your way into google you have no need to worry.

It’s like the old www or not, or indeed /index.html or leave it off. I know if I had spent millions of dollars on code for a search engine like google then I would want it to understand and deal with all forms of path and so I supect google does do that or rather should if it worked.

But the big thing that most people don’t realise is google is not perfect, in fact it’s pretty rubbish as a search engine and google puts out all these thories to put people off finding that out. I mean if you can blame the owner why worry about training the dog :smiley:

Moral of the story is make good content, get people to like it - the will tell other, traffic will flow and google will love you - even more if you host their adverts.

One of the primary issues in cs-cart for causing duplicate content is the use of SEO and non-SEO naming. I.e. one link with href=“?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=1” and one link of href=“contact-us.html” will result in duplicate content. I.e 2 href’s that point to a page with the exact same content by two different methods.

Having clothing/pants/big_pants.htm and having bug_pants.html both point to the same page is just fine.

At least that’s my understanding of what constitutes duplicte content. So the biggest problem one is going to run into is when they first install the cart and SEO is not turned on. Stuff like quick links are non SEO and so are all the other standard links. Then one turns on SEO and creates a new link in a sidebox or something to use “contact-us.html” instead of “?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=1”.

So once you make the change to SEO, try to update all your internal links to their SEO names.

Hello Tbirnseth,

Thank you for this clear demonstration. Perfect as always!

Lee Li Pop

Duplicate content by Goggle is a “Myth” from the past. Nowadays Google’s algorithms can select sites built with a CMS and you won’t get a penalty, if e.g. a product has 10 different links. Google will just take the most relevat one to be listed in the serch results. You will get a penalty, if you would make 10 web sites with 1:1 content.

Myth or not, Duplicated content is a concern for everyone, even for our dear Prestashop’s fellows:

[url]http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/39736/[/url]

What I said before? Prestashop is a pretty nice basic cart, if you want a powerful cart, you need to pay… More and more money

What? Magento has some duplicated content issues too?

[url]http://inchoo.net/ecommerce/magento/magento-duplicated-content-issues/[/url]

What a myth!

For Duplicated content with CS-Cart, please read once more the Tbirnseth post in this thread:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?p=110536#post110536[/url]

In fact, after 3 years of using CS-Cart, I’ve NEVER seen a single duplicate content caused by URL rewriting.

This is not the case with our colleagues and friends such as in Magento and PrestaShop where the rewriting module is not perfect!

Summary:

Of course, if you create two similar URLs with CS-Cart, you will go in trouble.

For example, one first [COLOR=“Blue”]product[/COLOR] named “[COLOR=”#0000ff"]Product.html[/COLOR]’ [COLOR=“Red”]PLUS[/COLOR] another second [COLOR=“Green”]product[/COLOR] named “[COLOR=”#008000"]Product.html[/COLOR]".

In this way, CS-Cart can’t handle two similar URL, however, this is basically not its fault, it’s yours.

Check carefully your URLs when you create them, and everything will be good.

Lee Li Pop

“The duplicate content issue began as a rumor a few years ago when Google search results would state that certain results were omitted because they were very similar to results already shown. Some webmasters deducted from this that Google was applying a ‘duplicate content penalty’ to these results, and started to spread fear and panic amongst site owners everywhere, fearful that their site might become the next to get hit with this ‘penalty’.”

[url]http://www.affilorama.com/blog/duplicate-content-explained[/url]

Google tries to always return the “best” version of a page.

If Google finds several pages offering exactly the same content, it will select that which offers the best information required. It may sometimes, list two or three pages that show exactly the same content.

What Google doesn’t like is having the same main content twice in its index. So if you’ve written an article about widgets on your site, and you’ve put the same article on someone else’s site, Google only want to list it once (because searchers will only want to read it once). What they’ll do is list one version and not list the other. You have no control over which one they list, sod’s law says they’ll list the one you don’t want!

Here are a few explanations from EXPERTS:

[url]http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/duplicate-content-question/[/url]

[url]http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/09/demystifying-duplicate-content-penalty.html[/url]

[url]http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=2811982a88fc69de&hl=en[/url]

…so, there it is…no Google duplicate content penalty.

[quote name=‘indy0077’]…so, there it is…no Google duplicate content penalty.[/QUOTE]

Seems a good point!!!

[quote name=‘indy0077’]…so, there it is…no Google duplicate content penalty.[/QUOTE]

Everybody knows Indy0077 in this forum:

1 - Indy0077 has something to sell = For her, it’s good

2 - Indy007 has nothing to sell = For her, it’s bad

She has no Duplicated Content solution to sell, so Duplicated Content doesn’t exist.

As stupid as simple.

Indy,

I have nothing to sell. I just share my decade of experience in SEO.

Well, what do you do with Google’s “Split PageRank”?

Here is why it’s bad to split your PageRank:

[url]http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3417776.htm[/url]

Two ways:

[SIZE=“3”]1 - You have NO duplicated content, like in CS-Cart, you DO NOT split your PageRank.

2 - You have some duplicated content, like with CS-Cart’s competitors, you split your PageRank between all your duplicated pages.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=“4”]This is THE biggest Google penalty about internal duplicated content.[/SIZE]

What is Good? 1 or 2?

Yes, duplicated content IS a BIG issue.

Yes, with a duplicated content you get a Google Penalty. Because, you have the same page X times. So, with duplicated content you split your PageRank. Here is another reason to choose CS-Cart, because CS-Cart does NOT have duplicated content, so you DO NOT split your PageRank with X times the same page.

Of course, PageRank is dead

In this post of Matt Cutts about “Google incorporating site speed in search rankings” (Site Speed is another Myth, isn’t it Indy :lol: this is why I’ve written a few threads about “How to Speed Your Cart Up” with dozens of thanks), you can read this comment:

[QUOTE]my pagerank dropped from 5 to 3 last week …[/QUOTE]

Source: [url]Google incorporating site speed in search rankings

You can find the beginning of the answer in this thread with another testimonial about drop PageRank down and Split PageRank:

[url]http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3417776.htm[/url]

If you get X time the same page with your cart - or CMS - (because a duplicated content issue) you split your PageRank, and your page’s PageRank will drop down.

It’s sort of Google penalty.

Because…

[SIZE=“3”]To Split PageRank (with duplicated content), or NOT to Split PageRank (without duplicated content), that is the question![/SIZE]

Lee Li Pop

The kind of duplicate content that indy0077 is talking about is content IN google.

For example if your site phase is mentioned on more then one page of the same domain google will only show the first it finds.

The is also google’s sub-system where they have indexed your content but not yet rated or rated not good enough for the main index so it only shows if people click show all.

I believe duplicated content on a site is harder to do by mistake then people think. SEO “experts” talk a lot of ways of doing it by mistake including site sessions but none are proven. I repeat NONE are proven. It’s like saying the is a monster fish in that pond, till someone finds it it’s not there.

So I say spend your time on good content and relevant links back to your site and don’t do silly things like signing up for massive link back programmes that cause more harm then good. The key is and always will be good content and traffic.

Good content + Best Practice (Rel=“canonical”, 301 Redirect and etc. ) to avoid Duplicate Content is the way to go.

Google solved the duplicate content created by CMS, CCK and Cart software by accepting the canonical tags. It is something to be conscientious of with any website you work with. If you add the same product to your catalog twice then use the second category function on the product page through backend.