How Much Juice Would I Need?

Hey folks,

I’m going to be pitching a CS Cart site to a client and I’m going to be using the Community Edition for now.

The shop’s going to be pretty small to begin with, probably < 50 products. Do I require a VPS or will I be able to stick with Shared Hosting? I have experience with HostGator, so I’m partially leaning towards them in either case.

The other ones that I’m considering, if it comes down to VPS,

securecarthost.com (though I must say, they should really consider giving their site a facelift)

vps.net

^ How much RAM do you think I would need?

Note: I understand I’m posting this in the wrong section, but for some reason vBulletin refuses me allow my posts in the relevant section.

[quote name=‘MrGray’]The shop’s going to be pretty small to begin with, probably < 50 products. Do I require a VPS or will I be able to stick with Shared Hosting? I have experience with HostGator, so I’m partially leaning towards them in either case.[/quote]

In your case, a shared account will be enough but it depends on the server you are on. If it’s ‘overselled’ then it won’t work.

Since you are just starting the store, you’d probably be fine with a shared host.

As you grow, you can look at upgrading.

The amount of products and features is one factor, but your biggest factor will be how many people visit your site. If you only have 1 or 2 visitors, you don’t really have much to worry about. If you have 1,000 or 2,000 visitors, that is a different story.

I know a lot of people on here are using securecarthost and are happy with them. They had a few snags a while back, but over the last few months it appears eveyone is happy.

Hope that helps,

Brandon

Thanks guys.