How does the Newsletter unsubscribe work?

I am finding the chinks in the armor so to speak - as I add more and more content I am running into way too many things that seem unfinished. In the past week since purchasing v2.0.4 I have posted no less than five bugs to the help desk and as many posts on this forum.

This nifty Newsletter feature has me mystified; I created one and added a subscriber (me). Could not get SMTP to work so I fell back on the default CS-Cart send option. After receiving the newsletter, I clicked the “unsubscribe” link (created using the variable from the newsletter creation page), and was redirected to a 404, PAGE NOT FOUND.

1. Am I supposed to create an “unsubscribed” page or is it automagically generated?
  2. If I am supposed to create it how do I change the variable link?
  3. If automagically generated where do I find it so I can customize the content?
  4. Regardless, how is the person’s email removed from the subscribe list?

Has anyone even used this feature? I checked the CS-CART FAQ and got nowhere since it is as vague as possible.

Hi Dave, not that this is the solution but post this to the bug tracker, in the mean time I’ll check this functionality myself, v2.0 was an absolute massive update so a few things missed I would not be surprised, Thanks - Sno

[quote name=‘snorocket’]Hi Dave, not that this is the solution but post this to the bug tracker.[/quote]

Since there is no specific “vBug version” for the Newsletter I just picked the KB.

Thanks Sno!

I have tried this by entering in my own email and being subscribed to the list.

This is what I have at the bottom of the email setup in HTML newsletter.

This email was sent to %SUBSCRIBER_EMAIL: by ;[COLOR=“Black”]myemail@mydomain.com[/COLOR].

If you would like to be removed from this list please use the link below.

%UNSUBSCRIBE_LINK:

Not this is what I get in a test email.

This email was sent to [COLOR=“Black”]myemail@myemail.com[/COLOR]: by [COLOR=“Black”]myemail@mydomain.com[/COLOR]. If you would like to be removed from this list please use the link below. http://[B][COLOR=“Black”]mydomain.com[/COLOR][/B]/store/index.php?dispatch=newsletters.unsubscribe&list_id=&s_id=&key=0:

[COLOR=“Blue”]

Information highlighted in bold has been replaced with generic information.[/COLOR]

But I click on this link and it takes me to my store home page. No notification about unsubscribed email. I then check and find that I am still subscribed to the list.

I found this %UNSUBSCRIPE_LINK: over to the right of creating the newsletter

* %UNSUBSCRIBE_LINK: Unsubscribe link

* %SUBSCRIBER_EMAIL: Subscriber email

* %COMPANY_NAME: Company name

* %COMPANY_ADDRESS: Company address

* %COMPANY_PHONE: Company phone

Not really sure if this is the way to use these. But it did send the email but did not work for unsubscribing from the list.

It looks like you sent this using the “Send to test email option” ('&key=0: '). When I send a newsletter using a mailing list, the unsubscribe link has a non-zero key and the unsubscribe link works as expected.

Bob

Apparently this was a bug;figured it out after I submitted a ticket, and looks like they fixed it in v2.0.6.

I’m getting the hang of the whole newsletter thing - pretty cool once you figure it out.

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]Apparently this was a bug;figured it out after I submitted a ticket, and looks like they fixed it in v2.0.6.

I’m getting the hang of the whole newsletter thing - pretty cool once you figure it out.[/QUOTE]

Could you explain the hang of the whole newsletter thing?

I try to put together what I figured out in a couple days - I am desperately trying to get my site live at the moment and have a lot of stuff to fix yet.

I am fortunate enough to have access to a physical local server to test on so really all I did was create a bunch of newsletters and test all the different features; autoresponder, mailing lists, subscribers, campaigns, etc.

The hardest part was creating templates, but if you have access to Dreamweaver or even HTML Notepad you should be able to bang out a basic two column newsletter in no time – add some graphics, text and links and you should be good to go. Don’t forget to include the Unsubscribe variable!

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]I try to put together what I figured out in a couple days - I am desperately trying to get my site live at the moment and have a lot of stuff to fix yet.

I am fortunate enough to have access to a physical local server to test on so really all I did was create a bunch of newsletters and test all the different features; autoresponder, mailing lists, subscribers, campaigns, etc.

The hardest part was creating templates, but if you have access to Dreamweaver or even HTML Notepad you should be able to bang out a basic two column newsletter in no time – add some graphics, text and links and you should be good to go. Don’t forget to include the Unsubscribe variable![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. :slight_smile:

[quote name=‘jobosales’]It looks like you sent this using the “Send to test email option” ('&key=0: '). When I send a newsletter using a mailing list, the unsubscribe link has a non-zero key and the unsubscribe link works as expected.

Bob[/QUOTE]

I tested but made sure I did not use the send test message. I am the only subscriber on the list and it still shows me there. I will have to dig more to see what is going on.

Ok this is what I found.

If you are in the newsletter and you add users to send to then the unsubscribe does not work. But if you have users already added to the subscribed list and click where it says Mailing lists: and check that box then the unsubscribe link works.

[quote name=‘CutRiteFX’]Ok this is what I found.

If you are in the newsletter and you add users to send to then the unsubscribe does not work. But if you have users already added to the subscribed list and click where it says Mailing lists: and check that box then the unsubscribe link works.[/QUOTE]

From what i can tell, it works as follows:

1. If you use a mailing list, it sends the newsletter only to those addresses marked as confirmed. Thus, it makes sense to allow them to unsubscribe.
  2. If you add the email address from users, it simply sends the newsletter to that address as a one-off mailing but does not add them to the list of subscribers. There is no reason to provide an “unsubscribe” link in this case since they are not on the ubscriber list. What probably makes more sense to provide a “subscribe” link for these users to encourage them to sign up for newsletters.

Bob

%ACTIVATION_LINK is under Autoresponders but you might be able to use it somewhere else, like the individual newsletters.

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]%ACTIVATION_LINK is under Autoresponders but you might be able to use it somewhere else, like the individual newsletters.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tried using the activation link in a newsletter but it does not work.

The autoresponders will set the email address to confirmed in Subscribers if the activation link is clicked. This makes sense.

The email address is not added to Subscribers when the address is added manually on the newsletter. Since the recipient is not subscribed, he cannot unsubscribe. The real problem I think, is that he cannot subscribe from the newsletter he receives.

It needs to be conditional:

If the recipient is on a mailing list, offer the chance to unsubscribe:

If not on a mailing list, offer a link to subscribe to one

Bob

Hi there, I’m having a similar problem with the newsletter feature. When I send a newsletter in html, the links automagically add a tracker to generate the statistics and when clicking on it you get a 404 Not Found page, but the plain text email links work just fine. If you click on the unsubscribe link in the html email you get to the homepage and you are NOT unsubscribed, but if you do on the plain text email you are effectively unsubscribed. Why could this be happening? Why do I get a 404 not found page if i click on the links in my newsletter that are supposed to take me to the homepage?

Thanks,

Unfortunately after many weeks of testing, and I realize that was some time ago, I finally gave up on this and went with Interspire’s Email Marketer. It works great, even comes with a boatload of templates ready to use.

I’ve complained enough about CS Cart stuff that does not work so enough said.