How do you knwo what cache type to use?

[*] Cache subsystem was improved: It is now possible to use different types of cache storage (file, sqlite, mysql, shared memory).

So how will I know which is the right one to use?

Thanks

B

BTW - someone mentioned that in version 2.1.1 there is now feature that allows you to choose the cache method, is that correct? So also how do you select the cache method?

Thnaks

B

In 2.1.1 (avoid 2.1.0 like the plague), there’s a setting in the config.local.php or the config.php file.

[quote name=‘gginorio’]In 2.1.1 (avoid 2.1.0 like the plague), there’s a setting in the config.local.php or the config.php file.[/QUOTE]

Which is the best cache method to use, are there any studies on which is best?

Thanks

That’s a question way over my head. I might query the developers about that.

A basic idea of how they work might give a headsup on making the trials for ‘which works best’ to each of his own server environment, I guess.

Thaks a lot for any light shed on this.

Isn’t it great having all these improvement that NO ONE knows how to use…GREAT!!!

Do we have to manually clear the cache, if so how often and how?

JOhn

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]Do we have to manually clear the cache, if so how often and how?

JOhn[/quote]

A good question I would like to know also.

Avoid using the MySQL cache method. I have now had two clients who’s stores broke because that cache table gets full. The table structure needs redesigned…

It is also not a good thing to use the database for caching regardless because the additional queries on each page load would be insane and most likely slow your site down.

[quote name=‘S-Combs’]Avoid using the MySQL cache method. I have now had two clients who’s stores broke because that cache table gets full. The table structure needs redesigned…

It is also not a good thing to use the database for caching regardless because the additional queries on each page load would be insane and most likely slow your site down.[/QUOTE]

Please explain clearly (for non tech folks) example what is the default setup - MySQL?

If the default setup is not OK what do you suggest?

What do we need to do regarding caching - leave the default setup alone?

Thank you!

Surprised not more discussion here on this. It would seem to me Shared Memory would be the fastest method. I just set it on ours. Pages loading quicker. No issues, yet.

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]Do we have to manually clear the cache, if so how often and how?

JOhn[/QUOTE]

Try out the Sqlite method, I believe you will find that it is no longer needed to ever clear your cache, set it & forget it…

[quote name=‘Traveler’]Please explain clearly (for non tech folks) example what is the default setup - MySQL?

If the default setup is not OK what do you suggest?

What do we need to do regarding caching - leave the default setup alone?

Thank you![/QUOTE]

The “files” method is considered to be the default method.

I have had very good luck with the sqlite method since it was offered as beta a few months ago.

[quote name=‘Consultant’]Surprised not more discussion here on this. It would seem to me Shared Memory would be the fastest method. I just set it on ours. Pages loading quicker. No issues, yet.[/QUOTE]

Thought I would give this a try, however I rcvd an immediate error message claiming I could not use the shared mem method on our server, will have to look into it further. I am curious to see how this works out.

[quote name=‘Struck’]The “files” method is considered to be the default method.

I have had very good luck with the sqlite method since it was offered as beta a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

So the files method is what will be used if you do not make an optional choice?

Is the sqlite method the one that Zeke posted? If so I tried it with no extra speed and found it caused a problem with my cart.

Sadly Zeke never had the courtesy to respond to my post about it in the thread.

[QUOTE]So the files method is what will be used if you do not make an optional choice?[/QUOTE] Yes

[QUOTE]Is the sqlite method the one that Zeke posted? If so I tried it with no extra speed and found it caused a problem with my cart.[/QUOTE] Similar, maybe identical, or it may have been refined before actually being implemented in the core. The biggest difference/improvement I noticed was not having to screw around with manually clearing the cache everytime your site started to bog down (as many people have talked of doing in the forums). I ran the sqlite method for months & never noticed any slow downs…the way it should work!

[QUOTE]Sadly Zeke never had the courtesy to respond to my post about it in the thread.[/QUOTE] Most likely because you were showing signs of anger & frustration & could explode at any second! :smiley:

[quote name=‘Struck’]Yes

Similar, maybe identical, or it may have been refined before actually being implemented in the core. The biggest difference/improvement I noticed was not having to screw around with manually clearing the cache everytime your site started to bog down (as many people have talked of doing in the forums). I ran the sqlite method for months & never noticed any slow downs…the way it should work!

Most likely because you were showing signs of anger & frustration & could explode at any second! :D[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the information.

No special signs of anger or frustration just a request for help as we were beta testing for a for profit business.

The very least that should be done is support for problems not ignoring problems that beta testers experience.

But then again I am old fashioned and a big believer in customer service…

All you have to do is make a quick switch at the very bottom of your config.local.php file and you can quickly give it another shot… Just doit! :wink:

[quote name=‘Struck’]All you have to do is make a quick switch at the very bottom of your config.local.php file and you can quickly give it another shot… Just doit! ;)[/QUOTE]

“Just do it” Like the Nike commercial? - smiling

Actually, I might but at the moment I do not have any speed problems with the default version maybe 1.5 seconds in the US to load a home page which has many photos.

Of course getting under 1 second would be very nice. Also the farther that I get from Chicago the slower load times are with some of the slowest being in New Zealand.

Luckily that is not a big market for us.

Thank you for the encouragement.