How do you keep track of your inventory prices?

Hello,

If I understood correctly, Cs-Cart does not have a feature to store the inventory prices in it. What method you use to do this? Are you using a separate inventory software, or just Excel?

I think I have to re-evaluate using the Cs-Cart if these things go too complicated. The inventory prices are my biggest concern at the moment. Then there is an inventory report feature, that is probably also missing.

Do you know if there is an add-on for the inventory prices and the inventory report?

What is an inventory price? How does that differ from the many prices Cs-cart allows per product.

I would describe “inventory price” as a price that I pay for the distributor company, where I buy the product from and then sell it to the end customer in my own shop. In perfect scenario that price should not include value added tax. That way I would be able to see the tax-free cost of my whole stock, and see where the money is lying and in which categories.

I have my own physical stock of products that I have purchased from distributors so this information is critical.

I can only see that the product can have a list price and a price in Cs-Cart. These are both visible to customer, but the “inventory price” should be hidden from the customers. It would be only used to see the cost of the stock.

Of course there are applications like Quickbooks that I have not had time to look into yet, but I am just wondering how do you do it with Cs-Cart?

I'm still a bit confused on what inventory price is, but adding a field like Cost is super easy. I have my cost right below my price on the product details page in the admin so that it is super easy to calculate a rough profit.

My cost is also exportable/importable.

Is this what you mean?

Thanks,

Brandon

CS-Cart is sales software, not accounting software.

Cost of Goods is calculated in my accounting software. It includes what I pay for raw materials, services and parts to build inventory items as well as what I pay for inventory items I buy outright from vendors.

Good accounting software is necessary for any business. That's where you also manage your income and expenses, pay vendors, and balance bank and or credit accounts.

It sounds to me that you would benefit from integration with accounting and inventory / ERP software. CS-Cart 3.1 will come with an API which should make integration possible,

You can off course do some basic things by creating a modification or addon to CS-Cart, but this will not suffice to run your company effectively. Adding your purchase price to your store is useful to make sure that your selling price & margin never go below your need. However, when a purchase price changes, you will need to manually amend CS-Cart.

Third party accounting-software should not really be necessarry for such a basic thing like cost-price. Lots of shops have this. Including: Interspire Shopping Cart, BigCommerce, Prestashop and more.

It would be a lot easier to do inventory, if you just could just export a csv-file of your products with “in Stock” and “cost price” in the same file.

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1356336267' post='151648']

I'm still a bit confused on what inventory price is, but adding a field like Cost is super easy. I have my cost right below my price on the product details page in the admin so that it is super easy to calculate a rough profit.

My cost is also exportable/importable.

Is this what you mean?

Thanks,

Brandon

[/quote]

Yes, that would be enough for now. How did you do that? Is it a custom work?

I enter my wholesale costs on an order-level basis, not product-level. Reason I do this is the cost of products is always changing, and things come about like returns, credits, etc.

I had an addon developed which allows you to enter in the 'wholesale cost' and the 'wholesale shipping cost' to give you the profit and % profit of each order. You can enter these wholesale numbers on the order detail page within the admin.

Message me if this is what you're looking for.

I can't believe this thread just went dead. I'm curious if brandonvd was making stuff up or simply to lazy to respond to how they did it?

I can't believe this thread just went dead. I'm curious if brandonvd was making stuff up or simply to lazy to respond to how they did it?

Not very kind words toward someone who provides free solutions out of the goodness of their heart. Note also that the last posting was 18 months ago.