HELP - 2.1.2 Upgrade abort - No SHOP - No Admin - Nothing

Problem due to software bug was remotly solved by CS-Cart support.

I have done the upgrade and all seems well.

When I was doing the upgrade I got this…

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@******.co.uk and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.15 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at www.******.co.uk Port 443

If I tried to log in to admin, same message, if I tried to enter shop front, same message.

Got in touch with my host who within 3 minuites replied “Seems to be re-directing to a store closed page”

I refreshed my admin page and hey presto upgrade completed, opened shop front and all seems well!!! :confused:

Additionally where we had folders set to 777 and files to 666 (as per instructions for install) my host set them to 755 and 644 ie images etc.

This is why it started working again!

Not sure if this will impact anything later, but got it working.

Anyone upgrading on a server running PHP in suPHP or FastCGI mode must use 755 / 644 permissions instead of 777 / 666

You should also check the following code in your config.local.php file to be sure it is set to the correct environment.

```php // Default permissions for newly created files and directories

define(‘DEFAULT_FILE_PERMISSIONS’, 0644);

define(‘DEFAULT_DIR_PERMISSIONS’, 0755); ```

[EDIT] I would like to add that if the above code is incorrect after your install, completely remove all files within /var/cache and everything under /var/compiled as these will most likely have incorrect permissions

Hi Scott

Thanks.

Mine were set to strange nos folder was 511?

Set as you said now.

Thanks again.

Thanks Aerofan.

So do you mean the normal “upgrade” path via the admin/backoffice area is safe now? Or did CS CART remotely fix “your” issue?

I am very hesitant to upgrade, yes I can make all the permission changes, tweak files etc. But should I need to? Why can’t this update work normally?

I’ll wait a bit and see what else happens for now :slight_smile:

This was awful!

Upgrade terminated with “500: Internal Server Error”

Could not get into the admin back end either.

Turns out the permissions were set to 666 for key .php files that caused the site to fall over.

This is so annoying. CS Cart people PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF [insert deity] DO NOT MESS WITH PERMISSIONS FROM VERSION TO VERSION!

Changing the permissions to 644 fixed the Internal Server Error.

However now I have .js errors. Localization selection does not work (that I can spot, who knows what else is broken) and Internet Explorer reports .js problems with core.js and several others.

This is the first update that I applied that completely wrecked our shop. Since I am not in the minority with these problems, how the heck did this “update” make it out of the door? I even waited several days before upgrading thinking that a faulty upgrade would get pulled…

My advice is: DO NOT apply this patch.

V.

This is one of the worst upgrades I have ever experienced in history, re-setting permissions is only a bandaid for more serious issues - Sno

Slightly off topic, but another “little” change that has had quite an impact is the RENAMING of the “Banner” folder to “Promo”!

WHY??? :confused:

WOW - “Changing the permissions to 644 fixed the Internal Server Error”

Wish I had known it was that easy last night, but honestly my Host was able to restore the site to within an hour of it crashing.

I am so saddened that CS-CART produced an update like this.

It shakes my confidence in the product a bit. Sigh.

Just upgraded to 2.1.2 and the “TAB” and submenus and QUICKLINK menu do not work. They appear on screen but when I click on the them nothing happens.

Other text hyperlinks seem to work and the shortcut links on the bottom right.

Browser is giving javascript errors which I assume in the cause of the navigation issues.

I have clear the cs-cart cache & browser caches multiple times. No change.

Any ideas ?

[quote name=‘GNI’]I am very hesitant to upgrade, yes I can make all the permission changes, tweak files etc. But should I need to? Why can’t this update work normally?[/quote]

The default settings of files/directories permissions in the config.local.php are:

// Default permissions for newly created files and directories
define('DEFAULT_FILE_PERMISSIONS', 0666);
define('DEFAULT_DIR_PERMISSIONS', 0777);

After an update your files/directories might be set up back to 666 and 777 and you will have to change it manually to 644 and 755, also you will have to alter the config.local.php file as well to:

// Default permissions for newly created files and directories
define('DEFAULT_FILE_PERMISSIONS', 0644);
define('DEFAULT_DIR_PERMISSIONS', 0755);

When you restore a site do you also restore the database?

I have restored all except my database and still have the locked menu tab problem in the admin area as well as no ability to get payment in the checkout area.

[quote name=‘BarryH’]Slightly off topic, but another “little” change that has had quite an impact is the RENAMING of the “Banner” folder to “Promo”!

WHY??? :confused:[/quote]

Adblock Plus, among others scan for ‘banner’ ‘banners’ ‘ads’ and images of specific resolutions. Changing the folder means more people see your on-page advertisements

Hi Jesse

I only have a couple so resolved quite easily.

Thanks

[quote name=‘GNI’]Thanks Aerofan.

So do you mean the normal “upgrade” path via the admin/backoffice area is safe now? Or did CS CART remotely fix “your” issue?

I am very hesitant to upgrade, yes I can make all the permission changes, tweak files etc. But should I need to? Why can’t this update work normally?

I’ll wait a bit and see what else happens for now :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late answer

CS CART did fixed it remotly.

I now have access to the admin and shop seems to behave OK.

I have no idea if upgrade process is safe by now.

I notice the QUICK SEARCH us not in operation at all. (Firefox, IE, Opera)

Maybe is there an activation switch someplace?

Thanks Aerofan :slight_smile:

Thanks Indy :slight_smile:

So are you saying that every update results in permissions being changed, or is it just this particular update?

Traveler : My host restored everything as it was before the update. Which included the database, SSL, etc. I was easier to do that than to trouble shoot the issues. It was a quiet late night, so nothing was lost.

I did a FULL backup after it was restored.

But now I see changing the permissions would have got the store back up.

Yet I keep reading about odd changes and glitches to do with the update.

I have not installed the update yet, just going to wait a bit first.

Oh and I found this after searching the CS CART Knowledge base.

[url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

I changed the file and directory permissions as mentioned but still having 404 error after the upgrade from 2.1.1-2.1.2.

any suggestion?

[quote name=‘Shlomo’]I changed the file and directory permissions as mentioned but still having 404 error after the upgrade from 2.1.1-2.1.2.

any suggestion?[/quote]

The Error 404 “Page not found” is the error page displayed whenever someone asks for a page that’s simply not available on your site.

Try to delete ‘/var/cache/’ and ‘/var/compiled/’ folder.