Google Checkout Not Working

I’ve followed the Knowledgebase instructions for setting up Google Checkout. However, the Google Checkout button only shows up on the cart page, NOT the checkout. So anyone who doesn’t visit their cart page doesn’t even know Google Checkout is available as a payment option.

Also, if they DO visit their cart, and click on the Google Checkout button, they get a message saying: “XXXX has sent Google a shopping cart with errors in it. We'll contact them to ask that they fix this problem. As this could be a temporary issue, you can go back in your browser to try checking out again.” (where XXXX is my company name).

Anyone experienced this and know what the problems are?

[quote name=‘kingsleypress’]I’ve followed the Knowledgebase instructions for setting up Google Checkout. However, the Google Checkout button only shows up on the cart page, NOT the checkout. So anyone who doesn’t visit their cart page doesn’t even know Google Checkout is available as a payment option.[/QUOTE]

This works in accordance with Google Checkout policy:

[QUOTE]4. Google Checkout buttons and Buy Now buttons

Use standard Google Checkout buttons only

You may only use Google-hosted button images for Google Checkout buttons and Buy Now buttons. You may not alter the size, shape, color, or any other aspect of these images.

Ensure 1:1 and adjacent button placement

You should place a Google Checkout or Buy Now button immediately beside, above, or below every existing checkout button or link on your website wherever possible. (Because users tend to read horizontally, we recommend placing the Google Checkout or Buy Now button beside your existing buttons and links.)

[COLOR=“Red”]You must separate the Google Checkout flow from your existing checkout process. If buyers initiate your existing checkout process, they must not see a Google Checkout or Buy Now button.[/COLOR]

If you’re using Buy Now buttons, you must display a Buy Now button in a visible and appropriate location for each item you’d like to sell using Google Checkout.

[/QUOTE]

You can find more discussion here:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=9465[/url]

Sorry, can’t help with your second question.

Bob

OK thanks Bob. I understand now. The only problem with that is that I am using the Artificial Casting skin and it’s not really intuitively obvious that you can go to the cart first and proceed through the checkout that way. You can go through the store adding items to the cart and then hit checkout without really ever going to the cart. See at: [url]http://www.kingsleypress.com/[/url]

I guess I need to dig a little deeper on the second question. I have submitted a ticket to support and have disabled Google Checkout for the time being.

Any update on this ? I getting same error message.

[quote name=‘netra4u’]Any update on this ? I getting same error message.[/QUOTE]

I have a ticket in with support. Presumably they don’t work weekends. I’ll let you know what they say when I hear back.

It works now. They had to give me a new “google_checkout.php” file. They said it was something to do with the default value for tax being missing.

Would you mind posting that file to here? I have been banging my head over this one too.

Been looking all over for the Tax value that is missing.

Thanks,

EagleRsoe

Sure. I’ve attached it to this post. I think.

google_checkout.php.zip

Thank You kinsleypress - I got the attachement. Not off to see if it will work.

EagleRose

OK I finally got my first Google Checkout order today. However, something is badly wrong. The person ordered I book I currently have on sale for $4.00 and chose UPS Ground for the shipping method, which was $7.13. However, Google has only charged the customer the $4 for the book, and nothing for shipping. When I go to the “Google Information” tab and say “Charge” in the shipping section, it says “You cannot charge an order that is already completely charged.”

I guess I will have to ship the book free of charge. I went into my Google Checkout account inbox and looked up the order and there is no way to charge anything more to the customer’s account.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Here is support’s response to this problem:

[QUOTE]Thank you for your time and patience.

We have tested out the “Google checkout” payment method on your site using our test account.

Most probably the problem is caused by the fact that when you go to the Google Checkout page, all the shipping methods are having cost of $0.00, so that is why you did not receive the fee for the shipping. It is the standard limitation of Google checkout. They wait only 3 seconds for response, but your server cannot answer in this case, because you have a lot of real-time shipping methods in your store. In this case we can offer you to set the default rates for each shipping method or to decrease the amount of the real-time shipping methods.

To set the rates for the shipping method you should do the following:

1. Log in to your administration panel, open the “Shipping/Taxes” tab and click on the “Shipping methods” link.
  2. Click on the “edit” link opposite the desired shipping method.
  3. Open the “Shipping charges” tab.
  4. Define shipping rates for the shipping method based on the total cost of the ordered products cost, their weight or quantity.
  5. Click on the “Save” button at the bottom to add or update the rates.[/QUOTE]

I have disabled Google Checkout and will not be using it.

[QUOTE]I have disabled Google Checkout and will not be using it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we started using google checkout soon after it was launched and it was IMHO nothing but a joke of a payment processing system from day one. We only offered it thinking it would be highly requested by our customers, and…because it was free payment processing in the beginning as they tried to buy into Paypal’s market! As soon as the “free” payment processing term ended, and I saw the % fee they wanted to charge us to continue offering their junk system, I removed the Google checkout garbage and have not had a single request for it to date! One of the best moves I have ever made! :smiley:

[quote name=‘kingsleypress’]Here is support’s response to this problem:

I have disabled Google Checkout and will not be using it.[/QUOTE]

this is not the correct answer, did you get it from CS-Cart? :rolleyes:

Shipping info isn’t setup in CS-Cart for google checkout, it is handled through the google checkout interface.

In google checkout click on Settings then shipping setup and you do your “Carrier-Calculated” shipping cost there.

The Google checkout shipping rates were easier to set up then the CS-Cart ones IMO.

I am still having trouble with my CS-Cart shipping methods

[quote name=‘HomeSushiBar’]this is not the correct answer, did you get it from CS-Cart? :rolleyes:

I am still having trouble with my CS-Cart shipping methods[/QUOTE]

Give me a shout i be happy to try and chat your through the shipping setting s

will use a dev site

Would it be against Google’s policy to edit the “checkout” tpl file so the checkout page would offer options like:

Credit Card

PayPal

“Looking for Google Checkout?”

With the last option a linking to your View Cart page. This technically isn’t having the Google Checkout within CS’s checkout process since it is just linking back to your cart page. You are simply providing a “back up” link for a customer who may have skipped the view cart step. Once they get to the View Cart page the customer will see the logo and can proceed to checkout or use Google.

Just a thought.