Find registered user IP in backend

Hi, I’ve been looking in our site backend to find the IP of the registered users so I can compare with their address but can’t find it. Can you please let me know where this info is located.

Thank you,

D.

Still didn’t find it, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is stored in the database. Use PHPMyAdmin to access your MySQL database tables. I do not think it is pulled out to the Admin area.

Look into [COLOR=#0000ff]cscart_orders[/COLOR] table, there is an IP_Address field for the customer.

Thanks a lot for letting me know. Would be nice to have it in the backend so I could compare their IP location with their address for fraud prevention. Worse can I’ll do like you, I’ll check it out from the database.

D

[quote name=‘Triplets’]It is stored in the database. Use PHPMyAdmin to access your MySQL database tables. I do not think it is pulled out to the Admin area.

Look into [COLOR=#0000ff]cscart_orders[/COLOR] table, there is an IP_Address field for the customer.[/QUOTE]

If they were a recent user with recent activity you could check in the admin>logs and search for there name/ip address

John

Most people’s IPaddresses change. What happens if they login from home to create their account and then login from work? Is that a fraud?

We sell an addon that is called ‘Order Referrer’ that will dynamically identify the City, State, Country info for the IP used during checkout and display the info in the order. In addition, it gives the referrer information including the search-terms used if that can be determined. Link is: [url]http://www.ez-ms.com/addonproducts/order-referrer.html[/url] Documentation is in the attachements area of the product detail page.

Maybe it woudl provide what you’re looking for. Normally fraud is a function of the order process versus registration.

I had the same IP for years and I wouldn’t say that most people’s ip change. They may but most don’t. With the GeoIP capability I would want to know if it shows the IP from Russia or China and the user gives me a US address, that would raise a flag, not if it’s a town away.I need this info because I sell intangible items. I’ll check your add-on. Thanks for the info.

D.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Most people’s IPaddresses change. What happens if they login from home to create their account and then login from work? Is that a fraud?

We sell an addon that is called ‘Order Referrer’ that will dynamically identify the City, State, Country info for the IP used during checkout and display the info in the order. In addition, it gives the referrer information including the search-terms used if that can be determined. Link is: [url]http://www.ez-ms.com/addonproducts/order-referrer.html[/url] Documentation is in the attachements area of the product detail page.

Maybe it woudl provide what you’re looking for. Normally fraud is a function of the order process versus registration.[/QUOTE]

Address change is a function of the length of the lease of the IP address (if dynamic) and the frequency at which the ISP reboots their router for maintenance or other reasons. Comcast seems to reboot here frequently though the lease is many times honored on next connect if that IP hasn’t been allocated to another person before it is requested. I’ve had the same IP for months or hours so there don’t seem to be any assumptions one can make.

If all you’re looking for is country, then you can use the built-in geoip DB that contains static country info. I believe is it acquired from ipinfodb.com where you can download the current one for free. But if you’re looking for City, State and other info, dynamic resolution is the way to go.

Hi thanks for your reply. Can you please explain what you mean by “dynamic resolution is the way to go”.

Thanks,

David

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Address change is a function of the length of the lease of the IP address (if dynamic) and the frequency at which the ISP reboots their router for maintenance or other reasons. Comcast seems to reboot here frequently though the lease is many times honored on next connect if that IP hasn’t been allocated to another person before it is requested. I’ve had the same IP for months or hours so there don’t seem to be any assumptions one can make.

If all you’re looking for is country, then you can use the built-in geoip DB that contains static country info. I believe is it acquired from ipinfodb.com where you can download the current one for free. But if you’re looking for City, State and other info, dynamic resolution is the way to go.[/QUOTE]

Static - IP info DB is loaded on your site and all lookups are local to your server.

Dynamic - Call to a service to return data (usually XML) of the IP info.

Static requires you to update the db periodically but it faster and you’re not reliant on the service’s response times, errors, availability, etc. Dynamic is the only way to go if you want current and accurate info. The static data is usually only available monthly.