Exclude products from Promotion

Is it possible to discount everything except specific products? The only way I've been able to get it to work is to put EVERY item on the bonus tab in a “Discount on Product” box. This won't work because I have to constantly change this as my inventory changes.

I tried putting a 20% off order bonus and another specific bonus for those products but that didn't work.

I tried putting a condition to exclude certain products using the NOT IN PRODUCTS condition but it completely ignored that (it still gave the order discount).

I've tried excluding a category but that doesn't work.

It seems I can't exclude anything from an “order discount.” But I can't add every item to the discount box whenever there is a change.

Is there an easy way to say 20% off everything except… that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for your help.

Neil

I also tried adding categories, with the thought that I can create an EXCLUSIONS category that I don't want to discount, but that also had no effect.

I added one category as a condition of NOT IN, I added the rest as a condition of IN.

I added all categories as 20% off except the one

I also tried adding the one category as a bonus of .00001 percent discount

It still discounted the every item. I'm guessing the category discount only works if all products only belong to one category. Nothing seems to work in the negative on this.

Thanks,

Neil

I have a promotion were I give discount if conditions are met, bonus is either free shipping or percentage discount on marked categories except such as “sale”…

I tried excluding categories. It worked if the item is only in one category, however, it will give a discount if the item belongs to any category that is being discounted. So like you said, if I exclude the “Sale” category, that would only work if those items belong to no secondary category that is included in the discount. Does that make sense? I'm currently working around this by confining the excluded items to only one category, but most of my items belong to more than one category and it would be nice if I could say:

"Discount . unless in [itemA, itemB, itemC]

Thanks.

[quote name='Pcay' timestamp='1315458750' post='121214']

I tried excluding categories. It worked if the item is only in one category, however, it will give a discount if the item belongs to any category that is being discounted. So like you said, if I exclude the “Sale” category, that would only work if those items belong to no secondary category that is included in the discount. Does that make sense? I'm currently working around this by confining the excluded items to only one category, but most of my items belong to more than one category and it would be nice if I could say:

Thanks.

[/quote]

What I did was removed any additional category associated with product if I am putting it for sale, let it just with main category SALE.

[quote name='Pcay' timestamp='1315458750' post='121214']

Thanks.

[/quote]

How to remove double post?

I know this is an old post but thought I'd reply with a work around I did on my site. Others may be able to use it so I'll post here for reference.

I use an “quantity order discount” but needed to exclude a couple of items from getting the discount. Since I don't use weight based shipping I created a discount rule that said in order to get the discount the weight would have to be less than 99 lbs. Then I made the weight for the item I didn't want to get the discount be 100 lbs. That way if the one item is added to the cart it now thinks shipping weight is 100 lbs and the discount doesn't show.

This isn't fool proof but does work in most circumstances for me. For instance, this stops ALL the discounts that a customer may still qualify for (in my case). But it is better for them to get charged too much where you can credit back the difference than have to explain that they need to pay more than what their receipt shows.