"Error_occurred" with Top Menu 3.0.2


I have yet another problem with 3.0.2 Pro.

Whenever I click a link on my Top Menu it goes to Error_occurred.

I have just recently updated to 3.0.2 but really not too sure how long this problem has been going on.

Site is www.tacklebay.com.au

If someone has any idea what may be causing this could you please let me know?

Its looking as though I may have purchased a package full of headaches.

Hello Wayne01,

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry to hear that you experience this problem. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you for sure why this problem occurs. Please log in to your CS-Cart admin panel and click the Development Mode button at the bottom on the right. After that please open any category in the storefront. A detailed description of the error should be displayed there, maybe it will help you resolve the problem by yourself. If not, please copy the error description and paste it here so that we can check it.

Thank you.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

[color=#000080]Hi Pavel,[/color]

[color=#000080]Thanks for the reply. Below is the Error information for you to look at. [/color]

[color=#000080]There is also about 18 Backtrace lines that I havn't pasted, but I can if you want.[/color]

[color=#000080]I am pretty sure the error wasn't there last week but not sure if it happened before or after update.[/color]

[color=#000080]If you could explain the problem and how to fix it, I wouldn't mind to fix it. [/color]

[color=#000080]At least I would know what to do if it occurred again.[/color]

[color=#000080]Thanks again and I hope we can resolve this problem.[/color]


[color=#000000][font=Courier][size=3]Database error:[/size][/font][/color] Unknown column 'cscart_product_filters.display_more_count' in 'field list' b[/b]

[color=#000000][font=Courier][size=3]Invalid query:[/size][/font][/color] SELECT cscart_product_filters.feature_id, cscart_product_filters.filter_id, cscart_product_filters.field_type, cscart_product_filters.round_to, cscart_product_filters.display, cscart_product_filters.display_count, cscart_product_filters.display_more_count, cscart_product_filter_descriptions.filter, cscart_product_features_descriptions.prefix, cscart_product_features_descriptions.suffix FROM cscart_product_filters LEFT JOIN cscart_product_filter_descriptions ON cscart_product_filter_descriptions.filter_id = cscart_product_filters.filter_id AND cscart_product_filter_descriptions.lang_code = 'EN' LEFT JOIN cscart_product_features_descriptions ON cscart_product_features_descriptions.feature_id = cscart_product_filters.feature_id AND cscart_product_features_descriptions.lang_code = 'EN' WHERE cscart_product_filters.status = 'A' AND (categories_path = '' OR FIND_IN_SET(292, categories_path)) ORDER BY position, filter

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for the reply.

The problem occurs because the display_more_count field is missing in the cscart_product_filters table of your database. It seems that the upgrade process went improperly for some reason. Please add this field manually (e.g. with using phpMyAdmin) on your server and check the result. The field should have the smallint(5) type.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

Thanks for the reply Pavel, but could you please explain how I would insert this manually.

I went into phpMyAdmin but not sure as to what to do as I may just be digging myself into a deeper hole.

If you could give me step by step instructions I could give it a go.




Is there anyone who can tell me how to manually add a field using phpMyAdmin?

Your help would be much appreciated.



Wayne –

I had this problem, too. Here's what I did:

Open up phpMyAdmin

In your current cs-cart database, find the table named “cscart_product_filters” and click on it

That should bring up the “Structure” for that table (if not, click on “Structure” at the top)

Just below the table there is a little icon with an “Add” and a box with a 1 in it.

Click the “Go” button which will take you to a screen where you can add the display_more_count field to the table.

Put display_more_count in the Column field

Type, Pavel says, should be “SMALLINT” – it's the seventh option in the drop-down list on mine

Length/Values should be 5 (I just left the rest blank)

Then hit the “Go” button at the bottom right.

That worked perfectly for me. Everything's working now just as it should.

Hope that helps.