Hi guys,

Im having an issue with a shop we manage

We have the same content on seperate URLS

So

www.website.com/brandname-products.html

is the same as

www.website.com/product-type/brandname-product.html

how do i stop this from happening?

i have tried playing about the with settings in the SEO addon thing, but that seems to have no effect at all!

pls advise!

I have lots of duplicate names, solution I came to was adding sku to seo name…

[quote name=‘dijol’]Hi guys,

Im having an issue with a shop we manage

We have the same content on seperate URLS

So

is the same as

how do i stop this from happening?

i have tried playing about the with settings in the SEO addon thing, but that seems to have no effect at all!

pls advise![/QUOTE]

So which one of the urls would that eliminate?

Im amazed that no one else has this issue - and if they do havent posted about it…

Am i being thick here?

If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name=‘dijol’]

is the same as

[/quote]

Login to Google Webmaster Tools and remove the offending URLs?

Jesse

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Login to Google Webmaster Tools and remove the offending URLs?

Jesse[/QUOTE]

Thats not really a brilliant way of getting round the problem though is it - as the problem still exists.

Anyone with any proper answers?

[quote name=‘dijol’]Thats not really a brilliant way of getting round the problem though is it - as the problem still exists.

Anyone with any proper answers?[/quote]

If you can’t take the first proper answer then don’t expect the second.

Brilliant answer it is and was, remove the offending URL and you’ll find that the current URL schema that you are using on your website will continue to populate.

If you want to go a step further start placing 301 redirects up per category path to the correct ones.

Next time pay I suggest you pay a bit more attention to the way you create your argument as I doubt anyone would really want to reply to this thread after an attitude like that.

Hi. I know, it’s a pain. My serps have dropped on some inner pages.

The problem with removing the urls under webmasters is that google won’t let you do that if they can actually find the page. I’ve tried it. Even if you change your path under cscart, as long as it ends in the product.html, it doesn’t matter what directory you use. You could make up a word and put it in between and it will “find” the page for you. Therefore google will find it even if you change your url format.

One solution would be to go to you robots.txt and disallow the robots to anything under that directory.

```php

User-agent: *

Disallow: /whateverdirectory/

```php

The problem though, is now you should stick to the format of www.website.product.html, which is not ideal.

If you do a 301 redirect (I’ve tried this too) you end up with your url and then a “?sef-rewrite=1” after each url, which is the same as a duplicate.

The only solution that I found to keep all of them, is (for EVERY offending url) would be, in your .htaccess is

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} /product\.html$
RewriteRule .*/product-directory/prodcut.html [R=301,L]

But it’s a lot of work, so I quit. I am thinking, quite honestly, of completely changing the seo urls when I upgrade to 2.0 of products that have dropped in serps and hope they come back when google can no longer find the other pages…

good luck!

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]

If you want to go a step further start placing 301 redirects up per category path to the correct ones.[/QUOTE]

My point is that i shouldn’t have to do that, as it shouldn’t be happening in the first place.

moka - thanks for a constructive answer - unfortunately i would run out of life before i’d manage to find the time to sit there making 301’s to redirect the product only URL’s to the ones that include the category.

The pages are obvioulsy the same page, and two versions dont exist with the url re-writey-jobby off, so its a problem with the url-rewriting?

Im gonna get a friend of mine to have a look at it for me and hopefully he can help.

If i find a solution i will share it with you all (except Jesse :stuck_out_tongue: ) as if you use the default seo links solution - YOU WILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM, TOO!

[quote name=‘dijol’] if you use the default seo links solution - YOU WILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM, TOO![/QUOTE]

The problem will only occur if you are not careful. My problem was that I upgraded a while ago and the default reset to product.html and I did not realize this before a couple days had gone by and googlebot came to visit.

Just keep to the same url structure throughout and there shouldn’t be a problem.

untill there is a fix you can log into your database with phpmyadmin and remove the urls from the “cscart_seo_names” table…

[quote name=‘snorocket’]untill there is a fix you can log into your database with phpmyadmin and remove the urls from the “cscart_seo_names” table…[/QUOTE]

Oh my god, someone actually came up with a solution! :o

Thanks dude!

I have been told in my bug tracker that;

“This problem does not exist in 2.0 branch. If you’re using 1.3.5 branch, please contact our support team, they have the fix.”

So i emailed support;

“Yes, we see the issue and it will be corrected in the nearest CS-Cart 2.0 update which will be released approximately in 2-3 weeks.

Thank you for your attention and help.”

I had asked them for a fix for the version i got - as per the guy in bug tracker stated

So i replied, and this is what i got;

“Unfortunately, no. This issue will be corrected in the nearest CS-Cart 2.0 update only.”

Looks like the cs-cart team need to communicate more!

So far so BAD!

This hasnt been sorted, but ive put it on the back burner till ive sorted a few other issues on the site…

Trying to redo the category structure and making it all better for the user…

This has meant changing

really-long-stupid-urls-with-loads-of-words-in.html

to

/short-urls/

But when i do it i get ‘?sef-rewrite=1’ at the end of every url as Moka stated…

Any ideas how i get it to stop adding that bit on?

Yes, ive searched - no one seems to even mention it in the other htaccess posts on here but i GUARENTEE im not the only one thats experienced the problem!

Support does not find this a problem at all when same category can be accessed as

domain.com/category/subcategory/

domain.com/category/subcategory.html

domain.com/subcategory/

domain.com/subcategory.html