Duplicate Category pages meta info..

When a category has multiple pages, all the pages have the same meta title and description info… How do I fix this… Every pages should have its own meta title and meta description… Thanks in advance…

You need to consider the difference in “page” (as in a category page like my_category.html) and the pages it is brken into in order to display it reasonably (page 1 of my_category.html, page 2 of my_category.html). The meta data applies to the my_category.html page, not the chunks it is broken into.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]You need to consider the difference in “page” (as in a category page like my_category.html) and the pages it is brken into in order to display it reasonably (page 1 of my_category.html, page 2 of my_category.html). The meta data applies to the my_category.html page, not the chunks it is broken into.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand your response… Are you explaining how to fix this or just making a statement… Maybe its just to early this morning… Sorry…

I’m saying that for a category page, there is one set of meta-data regardless of how many physical pages you splet that into for “paging” purposes.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Ithere is one set of meta-data regardless of how many physical pages you splet that into for “paging” purposes.[/QUOTE]

The problem is right there. Google find your pages with duplicate meta descriptions. I can’t believe no one know how to fix that.

[quote name=‘chuckv’]The problem is right there. Google find your pages with duplicate meta descriptions. I can’t believe no one know how to fix that.[/QUOTE]

Hard to believe this gone this long and not fixed within CS-Cart…

[quote name=‘chuckv’]The problem is right there. Google find your pages with duplicate meta descriptions. I can’t believe no one know how to fix that.[/QUOTE]

There’s nothing to fix. If you view a category (say, Baby Wear) and you have 600 products in that category. You are still viewing the Category regardless of what page of products out of the 600 you are viewing. There is no duplication of meta-data.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]There’s nothing to fix. If you view a category (say, Baby Wear) and you have 600 products in that category. You are still viewing the Category regardless of what page of products out of the 600 you are viewing. There is no duplication of meta-data.[/QUOTE]

If you goto say page 3 or 23 of a category the meta title, descriptions stay the same… Google doesn’t like that… Cs-Cart should be able to show “page 3” or “page 23” with in the meta title and descriptions that way google and other search engines don’t see duplicates. Every page needs to be unique even the meta info… Wether its just a page nuber or something that distiguishes so…

Sorry, guess I disagree. You are looking at the category page of ‘baby clothes’. It has meta-data. You are listing the products from sub-categories or that category and are paging the ‘products’, not the category.

You can fix this easily by either making the number of viewable products very large or not showing products on the category pages. The driving force is the number of products which has nothing to do with the category.

I certainly would not want the cart adding any meta-data to pages at all. It should simply do what it’s told.

If you want different meta data for different pages of a category then, they shouldnt be in that category.

The pages that you want different should be named different from the start of the category name and then the meta data that that page contains should then reflect accurately what the category is about. Google then will see the “flow” of info and see it as worthwhile.

OR#

If you alter the number of products per page to 500 you should be OK :wink: