Do A Database Backup - All Significant Size Differences Between Them

Been running database backups one after another in case these are screwed up or something, but I will do one, and itll be 72 megs. Ill do another right after, itll be 91 megs, then do another, itll be 84 megs. Is this normal??

Depends on the activity of your site. That's a pretty wide variation. How are you doing the backups?

Going to the admin page, database, database backup. Is there another way of doing the backups?

Sure, but not from the admin panel of the cart.

Sure you have compression the same for your comparisons?

Is there a problem other than the observation?

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1389564780' post='174983']

Sure, but not from the admin panel of the cart.

Sure you have compression the same for your comparisons?

Is there a problem other than the observation?

[/quote]

Not sure on the compression, as they are all just .sql files. And nope, it appears everything backs up fine via admin, no errors etc, but they are just all different. I did a total of 8 dumps, here are the sizes it did, when I did them all back to back:

In MB's

Hi,

If you are using the “statistics” addon the database file will increase fast. If you don't need that functionality, you can turn it off (or uninstall) via admin.

Usually these tables have big size:

cscart_stat_requests

cscart_stat_banners_log

cscart_logs

cscart_stat_sessions

cscart_sessions

If you check you logs and don't have any interesting in it, you can clean the log entries.

[quote name='parodius420' timestamp='1389638553' post='175053']

Not sure on the compression, as they are all just .sql files. And nope, it appears everything backs up fine via admin, no errors etc, but they are just all different. I did a total of 8 dumps, here are the sizes it did, when I did them all back to back:

In MB's

[/quote]

I think you're fine.

clear the stats, clear the logs and abandoned carts, optimize your db then try a gain.

John

He's still going to get size variations unless he has no traffic on the site between the dumps.

Yeah I hardly get traffic to the site anyways. Barely make enough just to pay hosting fees. Have no clue how to clearthe logs, abandoned carts, optimize db etc. That stuffs above my head, and not really an affordable option for me at this point with the store.

admin.php?dispatch=cart.cart_list - delete abandoned carts

admin.php?dispatch=logs.manage - delete logs

admin.php?dispatch=statistics.reports - delete statistics

admin.php?dispatch=database.manage&selected_section=maintenance - optimize database

[quote name='parodius420' timestamp='1389677008' post='175067']

Yeah I hardly get traffic to the site anyways. Barely make enough just to pay hosting fees. Have no clue how to clearthe logs, abandoned carts, optimize db etc. That stuffs above my head, and not really an affordable option for me at this point with the store.

[/quote]

You might want to try our EZ Admin Helper addon. It simplifies many of the regular activities in a 'cron style' interface.

One of the advantages is that in things like clearing the statistics and logs is that you can perserve some amount so it's not all or nothing. I.e. get rid of everything older than 30 days old.

Thanks for those admin things =) What does the optimize database do?

“OPTIMIZE DATABASE [your_db_name]”

An optimize removes empty space from each table and also re-indexes the indices. Essentially it tries to ensure that an INSERT will only find room at the end of the heap.