Displaying Banner Only To Visitors From A Certain Site

I am trying to create an if statement that will show a banner to visitors only if they are from a certain website. This is what I have been working with and have placed in the central block of the template for the index page (…customer/blocks/locations/index/central):

{if $visitor.referrer == 'http://referringwebsite.com'}

{/if}

The $visitor.referrer portion came from the statistics addon (which shows where the visitor came from). Can anyone tell me why this isn't working? Thanks in advance!

I'm going to guess that $visitor isn't defined.

Try putting a {debug} tag above your code and then looking for $visitor in the pop-up debug window. If it's not there, then it isn't defined.

You can probably use something like:

{if $smarty.const._SERVER['REMOTE_HOST'] == 'referringwebsite.com'}

instead.

I guess I am way out of my league here, but when I insert the code from the reply above, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Smarty error: [in blocks/locations/index/central.tpl line 2]: syntax error: unidentified token '['REMOTE_HOST']' (Smarty_Compiler.class.php, line 1406) in /home/rattle5/public_html/lib/templater/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

Any thoughts? Thank you tbirnseth by the way.

Try

$smarty.const._SERVER.REMOTE_HOST

Nope…

Fatal error: Smarty error: [in blocks/locations/index/central.tpl line 1]: syntax error: $smarty._SERVER.REMOTE_HOST is an invalid reference (Smarty_Compiler.class.php, line 2130) in /home/rattle5/public_html/lib/templater/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

At least it was an “invalid reference” this time and not an “unidentified token”. :blink:

Thanks again for your help.

(the “const.” was included, but it wasn’t shown on the error message)

One last try:

$smarty.server.REMOTE_HOST

No error this time, but the banner did not display when I clicked through from the other site.

Thanks for trying…I appreciate it.

Then just for grins, just above your code add:

```php

Remote host is: {$smarty.server.REMOTE_HOST}

```
And then compare it to what you're testing for in your if statement.

I put it on my site:

After “Remote host is:”, nothing was displayed.

Try REMOTE_ADDR, your host may not do the lookup for REMOTE_HOST…

Sorry, these things are an iterative process and I can't do the iterations here.

Also, if your remote site goes through a proxy server, you could get a different IP for each session.

Adding REMOTE_ADDR brought up my ip address. No proxy server with my site.

Thanks.

The “referrer” for a page will only be valid on the first page access of the current session.

So you're going to need to capture your HTTP_REFERRER into a _SESSION variable and then test for that variable being what you want for your display.

So I would do something like this. Create addons/my_changes/controllers/customer/init.post.php file with contents of:

```php

if( !defined('AREA') ) die('Access denied');

if( !isset($_SESSION['my_referer']) ) {
$_SESSION['my_referer'] = @gethostbyaddr($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']);
}
?>

```

Then test for $smarty.session.my_referrer in your if statement.

Again, thank you for your help.

I have tried for the past few hours and I cannot get any of this to work correctly. The banner will simply not display when coming to my site from the referral site. I am out of ideas. I just don’t get how the referring website can be displayed in the statistics section of the admin, but I can’t get a simple if statement to work. :(

I'm for hire if it's important to you. You can send me an email to tonybXX@ez-msXX.com (remove X's).

Probably 1/2 hr of work.