Display specific category's subcategories only

Hi there,

I’m hoping someone might be able to help me with this. On my home page, I’d like to display all subcategories which exist under a specific category. For example, I have a category labelled Exhibits which holds a bunch of subcategories. I’d like to say only display the subcategories for Exhibits on the page. In this view, the heading would say Exhibits and underneath the heading would be the grid displaying all the subcategories and their respective category thumbnails.

So far, if I add a block to the home page, the only way I can do this is if I manually select each category. I need to avoid having my client go into any of the design portion of the system and instead only focus on adding categories and products to the system.

Is there a way I can call to a specific category?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello Mfducky!

As I understood, you would like to display the subcategories as a grid with their thumbnails on the category page. Then the solution offered here [url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation should help you.

Hi Orangegirl!

Thanks so much for your reply. I do already have that implemented, but that’s not what I’m trying for here. I want to tell the system to only show subcategories from a specific category. So for example (in the spirit of your name), if category ‘Fruit’ holds subcategories: Apples, Oranges & Bananas, I want to say, show all subcategories under Fruit… and that’s it. I don’t want any of my other categories or their respective subcategories to show.

Currently, I can only do this with a manually entered category block, but I’d like have it be automatic. So any subcategory added to ‘Fruit’ going forward will automatically appear, but any other category added outside of Fruit will not appear.

I imagine I can’t do this with a traditional block, but if there’s some code I could input somewhere to make this happen, that would be great. Perhaps an include file through an html block or something?

Does this make sense? Thanks again for your or anyone’s help!

Hi there - thanks for your reply. That’s not quite what I’m looking for - I already have that implemented actually. What I want is to create a block on the home page that displays subcategories from a specific category. So if I have a category called Icecream, I want to say show all the sub categories of icecream (vanilla, chocolate, coffee, etc). Right now, it shows All top level categories and then I need to click to view the subcategories. Thanks again for your reply - sorry for the delay, I had an error in my email address and wasn’t notified.

Great!

and now how can i display the Subcategory description in the Main Category page?!

Hey people! where are this community?

[quote name='mfducky' timestamp='1301504028' post='108312']

Hi Orangegirl!

Thanks so much for your reply. I do already have that implemented, but that's not what I'm trying for here. I want to tell the system to only show subcategories from a specific category. So for example (in the spirit of your name), if category 'Fruit' holds subcategories: Apples, Oranges & Bananas, I want to say, show all subcategories under Fruit… and that's it. I don't want any of my other categories or their respective subcategories to show.

Currently, I can only do this with a manually entered category block, but I'd like have it be automatic. So any subcategory added to 'Fruit' going forward will automatically appear, but any other category added outside of Fruit will not appear.

I imagine I can't do this with a traditional block, but if there's some code I could input somewhere to make this happen, that would be great. Perhaps an include file through an html block or something?

Does this make sense? Thanks again for your or anyone's help!

[/quote]

Did you got it to work ?

Ditto. Years later. To me should be an option "Show subcategories instead of products when exist"

Ditto. Years later. To me should be an option "Show subcategories instead of products when exist"

As I understand the question was about home page block. Not category page.