Developing Multiple Sites

I know there are several members here who do custom development work for multiple customers at a time. I understand you have to have a CS-Cart license for each site but here is my question.

I of course have my own site with my databases, front-end etc. How do developers here configure their development environment so they can work on multiple projects at once. Before I go off in the wrong direction, I would like to solicit some advice from experienced developers as to how they configure their environment to accomplish this.

Thanks for your input!

This is really a large open question which can have multiple detailed answers for sure. Each “experienced” developer has developed their owned refined method of working on multiple sites and projects at any given time.

Although this is my first foray into CS-Cart, I have been in web design for over 8 years, so I can provide a pretty detailed explanation of how I work. But you will need to develop your own “style” which suits yours and your customers projects/scope.

As such I will only provide a real basic answer:

I have 3 working environments:

1. Local development environment:

[QUOTE]Windows XP running WAMP

Allows me to setup individual sites with Joomla/CS-CART and is an all in one package for PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin etc.

Dreamweaver - through “Site Manager” I create/connect with each site and use DW for all development work: HTML, PHP, CSS, XHTML, JS, AJAX etc…

All work is initiailly started here and uploaded as needed.

Photoshop and Illustrator for designing layouts and graphics.[/QUOTE]

2. Remote Test Environment

[QUOTE]This exactly replicates the “live” site (not necessary for all projects)

Allows me to fully test all functionality including SSL and through entire purchase process, along with sites that have an Admin back-end.

Allows me to provide a “pre-live” setting in which current customers can view their entire site as it is being developed/designed…really helps to eliminate any confusion/misinformation. Keeps customers satisfied. :cool: [/QUOTE]

3. Live environment

[QUOTE]Once projects are fully tested and I have customer sign-off we go live.[/QUOTE]

That’s really it “In a Nutshell”…

If you have any more specific questions let me know.

WebGuy,

Thanks for the response! I was not aware of Joomla thus I am currently reading up on it to determine just exactly how I will use it. One other question, How do you incorporate the use of “Smarty” with the use of DreamWeaver? I previously used Frontpage but I now do all of my work through smarty on my Web Host. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

[QUOTE]I was not aware of Joomla thus I am currently reading up on it to determine just exactly how I will use it.[/QUOTE]

IMHO - Joomla is the best open source Content Management System available.

Most of the websites I do now-a-days involve Joomla…unless I’m creating an ecommerce site.

[QUOTE]How do you incorporate the use of “Smarty” with the use of DreamWeaver? [/QUOTE]

There are a couple of DW Smarty Extensions that can be installed which allow you to work with Smarty and .tpl files. But if you know DW than you can customize it to provide Smarty .tpl capability.

[QUOTE]I previously used Frontpage but I now do all of my work through smarty on my Web Host. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

If you have to ask that question than you probably are not “missing” anything.

Doing it with DW just allows me to work/create/test “locally” with the .tpl files specifically when designing the CS-CART website I’m currently working on.

Like I said this is my first introduction to CS-Cart and as such Smarty…so you probably are more familiar with the “whole” Smarty system than I am.