Detect Mobile Device?

Does anybody know of any apps or web apps that take your store and basically convert it into a mobile version for the iPad, iPhone etc.

I’ve spent the last week trying to create a mobile version of the site and it’s impossible.

Bit disappointed with CS Cart that I can’t create a second theme and whenever a mobile device is detected the user is redirected to the mobile theme. :frowning:

[quote name=‘cronindesigns’]Does anybody know of any apps or web apps that take your store and basically convert it into a mobile version for the iPad, iPhone etc.

I’ve spent the last week trying to create a mobile version of the site and it’s impossible.

Bit disappointed with CS Cart that I can’t create a second theme and whenever a mobile device is detected the user is redirected to the mobile theme. :([/QUOTE]

There isn’t one yet but there are a few in development including the one in this thread

Thanks for that.

Even if I could get a XML feed of products and categories and could very very easily create an iPhone/iPad web app using Dash Code for webkit browsers BUT it’s almost impossible even to get an XML or RSS feed of products/categories. Why was this functionally never built into CS Cart natively? It would be so handy.

Is there anyway I could get an XML feed of products/categories. Even just a snippet of code that displays the products from DB in a list via php, I can do the rest and convert to XML/RSS.

The mobile version is simply meant to be a catalogue of products and categories with no cart functionally at all.

P.S. Is there no way to redirect to a second theme if a mobile device is detected?

You may be able to use the Sitemap XML file which has all the products and categories. As far as browser detection you can do this easily with jquery.

[quote]

BUT it’s almost impossible even to get an XML or RSS feed of products/categories. Why was this functionally never built into CS Cart natively?

[/quote]

As whiplash13 said, sitemap.xml might give you what you want. Also, our XML Data Feeds addon generates XML files in two formats (1 is Google extended RSS). You can view the details in the documentation located in the attachements tab of the product detail page.

[url]http://www.ez-ms.com/addonproducts/xml-data-feeds.html[/url]

or you can view an extended RSS file directly from here:

[url]http://www.ez-ms.com/google_merchant.xml[/url]

Remember, that to present information on a tiny device requires one to completely rethink how the information is presented and what the drill-down navigation achieves. Shopping from a phone is nothing like shopping from a website.

There is currently no way that I’m aware of to distinguish a mobile device from others unless the browser type is unique to a mobile device.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]

There is currently no way that I’m aware of to distinguish a mobile device from others unless the browser type is unique to a mobile device.[/QUOTE]

This site provides an example of how it can be done. At my full time job we use Dojo and they provide a similar way of doing browser/OS detection like JQuery does.

Create a second skin called “touch”

create a m.domain.com server address

the m.domain.com should run on the skin touch

m.domain.com//index.php?demo_skin[C]=touch

the following code should be added to the main index.tpl for the desktop version

Anyone who uses Joomla should checkout www.rockettheme.com

Their templates integrate amazingly with mobile devices

if(strstr($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'],'iPhone') || strstr($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'],'iPod'))
{
header('Location: http://m.cs-cart.com/index.php?demo_skin[C]=touch');
exit();
}

And what do you do for Android users?