Default Seo Add On Problem

I have a question regards the default seo add on in V3.1

Is it correct that every time i change the information for a product i.e. the product name OR description i then have to disable the seo add on and then enable for the new seo friendly url to be displayed?

This to me sounds like there is a bug in the seo add on.

Any help/advice appreciated.

No, but if you want the SEO name to change with the new product name then you will need to delete the old SEO name under the Addon tab and when you save, the new name will be generated.

I would of thought the new seo name would replace the old name when Save was clicked on the Product - General Tab page after new product name was entered, this is why i am asking if there is a bug in my site.

No, that is not how it works. The first time you create a product, the SEO name is automatically generated from the product name. But when you later go and change only the product name, it does not make any changes to the SEO name. You need to do that manually in the SEO name field.

[quote name='swifty' timestamp='1414091026' post='195070']

I would of thought the new seo name would replace the old name when Save was clicked on the Product - General Tab page after new product name was entered, this is why i am asking if there is a bug in my site.

[/quote]

You don't WANT this to happen. SEO URL is indexed by search engines and if it is changed without you doing it intentionally the indexed page will error to a 404.

In version 4 you can choose to add the old SEO name as a redirect when you manually change the SEO name, or if it is a new product just setup, you can choose not to set up the redirect.

Thanks for all the advice.

So am i correct in thinking the text in SEO name: field box under the Add-ons tab is taken from the Name: field under General tab - Information section the first time i add text to the Name: field. This is then the seo friendly url text displayed in the browser url field.

If this is correct can i then change the text in SEO name: field under Add-ons tab to show different from the Name: field under General tab, the general tab text is used as the sub category name on the front end which i want to keep but i think the seo name could be more beneficial if different, it could be a long tail term.

What do you think about this, could this be away to benefit in the organic results?